Prejudice

All things related to beginning Zen Practice. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already started Zen training and those planning to do so.
Enver M.

Prejudice

Post by Enver M. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello friends,

where does (our) prejudice (s) come from?
i've personally much prejudice.about persons.or on events.

i know and can see that everything has a different color or shapes which it come off.

so nothing is much different.does seeing this in this matter bring compassion?how can i overcome
this feeling at all!?
no need for mathematic !!!
:waving:

desert_woodworker

Re: Prejudice

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Among other wonderful lines from Hakuin's "Song of Zazen", written in praise of the zazen of the Mahayana, we have the lines:

"...the zazen of the Mahayana
deserves the highest praise:
offerings, precepts, paramitas,
Nembutsu, atonement, training --
the many other virtues --
all rise within zazen."

"The many ... virtues all rise within zazen" I think is your answer, Enver.

And it may be the answer for all of us. But zazen is "just" the indispensible one-thirteenth-part of Zen Buddhist practice. There are many other practices. May our many practices keep us free!

May Original-Mind hold sway in daily-life,

--Joe

Enver M.

Post by Enver M. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm

I see.

like in the ABS brake, our mind should hit in each moment continuously to the now and fresh it.

thanks

but what is interesting is we should take it easy.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Enver M. wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm
I see.

like in the ABS brake, our mind should hit in each moment continuously to the now and fresh it.
Enver, that's a wonderful understanding, and analogy. THANK YOU!!
Enver wrote:but what is interesting is we should take it easy.
Well, practice is not quite taking it easy; it requires Attention. But I think we can be relaxed while we are Attentive, yes. And the attention can be enjoyable.

Best enjoyment,

--Joe

Enver M.

Post by Enver M. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:35 pm

desert_woodworker wrote: I think we can be relaxed while we are Attentive, yes.
what I meaned is to be like a cloud in the thinking.

don't know how to explain it;
i mean to be soft in the matches.

Enver M.

Post by Enver M. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:45 pm

almost today i've promised again i've begin thinking

thinking to myself

Enver M.

Post by Enver M. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm sorry.

I have Tea for everyone.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:25 am

Enver, prejudice is quite a natural thing, I think. What I've found useful is to bring the attention to my responses as "prejudice" arises. In the body, the emotions, the stories.. Pay attention to them, don't indulge.

Where does it come from? Probably from the age-old pattern of comparing - worrying about the us-and-them, the me-versus-you, basically separation.
Not Site Admin any longer, despite what it says.

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:25 am
Enver, prejudice is quite a natural thing, I think. What I've found useful is to bring the attention to my responses as "prejudice" arises. In the body, the emotions, the stories.. Pay attention to them, don't indulge.

Where does it come from? Probably from the age-old pattern of comparing - worrying about the us-and-them, the me-versus-you, basically separation.
Sadly it can even happen between some of the Buddhists in internet groups, eg possibly arising from the thought "My tradition is better than your tradition and we know best,".... or the idea that everyone else has "bad karma" apart from oneself!

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Enver M. wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Hello friends,

Memory. (associating the present with the past)

It's just a narrative of your brain, it's part of human survival/evolution.

When your/tha brain sees an object (or a sound/smell etc) it automatically associates with a past event or "teaching".
For instance; I noticed a friend of mine was biased towards non-caucasion people, when I asked why that is she didn't even know,
for me it was obvious and simple so 30 seconds later she understood it came from her father once telling her;
"if you ever come home with a negro (it was a different word though) you're not my daughter anymore.

As I said before you only have to understand how the brain/mind works, it's easy once you realize you're not the brain but it's your tool to use.
Just observe the narrative from a "witness position" and see how every story is conditioned by past events,thoughts,associations.
A brain functioning in the present or "now", is without narrative, hence it cannot be biased or conditioned by past events unless its functional for your survival, but that rarely happens these days with us humans seperating ourselfs further from nature. Please be biased towards tigers, it could "save your life" :hatsoff:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Crystal wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Sadly it can even happen between some of the Buddhists in internet groups, eg possibly arising from the thought "My tradition is better than your tradition and we know best,".... or the idea that everyone else has "bad karma" apart from oneself!
Memory association informs this brain that you have been "passive aggressive" in the past, so before taking your words into consideration I've already made up my mind about you (and hence the stars, mountains and valleys) and got it locked up in a mental image I call "crystal" or "the world", so your like my tiger in a forest. And any philosophy about it all being a construct of mind or "emptiness" only gets me entangled deeper in a conceptual universe I'm trying to liberate myself from which ironically only exists in my imagination. In a dream a ghost is chasing a mirage ;) :hatsoff:

My prejudice is better then yours! :cat:

ps I can demonstrate this for all names/forms or "persons" consider it my "christmas" gift :lol:

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 pm

fuki wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:28 pm
"passive aggressive" in the past, ...
Here in the desert, I have passive-aggressive Solar. Might as well! "Passive" is usually enough, most days, though.

:556:

--Joe

Illust_passive_solar_small.gif
Illust_passive_solar_small.gif (60.46 KiB) Viewed 495 times

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:42 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 pm
fuki wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:28 pm
"passive aggressive" in the past, ...
Here in the desert, I have passive-aggressive Solar. Might as well! "Passive" is usually enough, most days, though.

:556:

--Joe

Illust_passive_solar_small.gif
That's "cool" Joe,

not much "seasoning" in Dutchyland (at least for me) 12 months a year I'm in my thermal neutral zone despite weathery conditions.
And if not comfy using the breath can cool me down or heat me up, hardly ever apply the siddhi of overcoming dualities, well in the summer sometimes.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm

fuki wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:42 pm
hardly ever apply the siddhi of overcoming dualities, well in the summer sometimes.
Fuki, Tibetan adepts contest with each other in monasteries in drying watered, wet, sheets placed on their naked (?) bodies outdoors in Winter. A body-heat practice they call "Tummo", I think. "Who can dry the most sheets in a given time", I think is the challenge.

I think too I won't do this. "Prejudice"? ;)

No. I am a Ch'an practitioner.

--Joe

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:55 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm
Fuki, Tibetan adepts contest with each other in monasteries in drying watered, wet, sheets placed on their naked (?) bodies outdoors in Winter. A body-heat practice they call "Tummo", I think. "Who can dry the most sheets in a given time", I think is the challenge.

I think too I won't do this. "Prejudice"? ;)

No. I am a Ch'an practitioner.

--Joe
First time I heared of it Joe, "funny"
I always check the monastries or sanghas motives (if there are any ulterior motives designed as "practise")

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:17 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 pm

"Passive" is usually enough, most days, though.
:115: Image

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks!, Crystal. Good to see you. Solstice greetings, and Solstice blessings, :115:

and other year-end observances too numerous to mention, but including Christmas and the New Year.

We won't "pre-judge" what the new year will bring, but I'd say it's still early-days of just about everything.

--Joe

your_age.jpg
your_age.jpg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:14 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Thanks!, Crystal. Good to see you. Solstice greetings, and Solstice blessings, :115:

and other year-end observances too numerous to mention, but including Christmas and the New Year.

We won't "pre-judge" what the new year will bring, but I'd say it's still early-days of just about everything.

--Joe
Thank you so much for the kind wishes, Joe. Hope you have a good Christmas yourself and a very happy and healthy year in 2019.

_/|\_

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:35 am

Enver M. wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 pm
Hello friends,

i've personally much prejudice.about persons.or on events.

i know and can see that everything has a different color or shapes which it come off.

so nothing is much different.does seeing this in this matter bring compassion?how can i overcome
this feeling at all!?
I have always thought that prejudice came from a place of self-loathing.

I heard an interesting comment from a Theravada/Insight teacher the other day in a podcast. She said that nirvana was simply the state of non-arising of the three poisons of ignorance, hatred and desire. I kind of like the simplicity and immediacy of it. Don't do it. Notice the prejudice, choose not to hold it. Over and over....

As others mentioned, we have deeply rooted tendencies and it take patience, persistence and being kind to ourselves to change those patterns.

That's my two cents, anyway. :)
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:52 am

KeithA wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:35 am
Don't do it. Notice the prejudice, choose not to hold it. Over and over....

As others mentioned, we have deeply rooted tendencies and it take patience, persistence and being kind to ourselves to change those patterns.

That's my two cents, anyway. :)
Yes, additional - eventhough practisoners should already "know" this via zazen instructions/practise or "learning", "don't do it" ofcourse also means don't push it away or see it as something unwanted, whatever appears is then simultaniously self-liberated (not a zen term but common in "tibetian" buddhism)

“Self-arising wisdom is the base. The five negative emotions are manifested energy. Seeing emotions as mistaken is an error. Letting them be in their nature is the method to find the non-dual state of Liberation. Overcoming hope and fear is the result.”
~Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

or "zennie"
Arising without the mark of arising,
Arising and illumination are the same.
Desiring to purify the mind,
There is no mind for effort.
~Xin Ming (Song of Mind)