Edward Espe Brown (b. March 24, 1945)

Find out who is who in Zen
clyde

Edward Espe Brown (b. March 24, 1945)

Post by clyde » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 am

Edward Espe Brown is a Soto Zen priest ordained in 1971 by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi. My first day-long retreat was with him and he has been a frequent ‘guest teacher’ at my local sangha. He has his own sangha, The Peaceful Sea Sangha (http://www.peacefulseasangha.com).

Here is one of my favorite talks by Ed, “The Ten Thousand Idiots”:

https://sr.dharmaseed.org/teacher/63/talk/3036/
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

lindama

Re: Edward Espe Brown (b. March 24, 1945)

Post by lindama » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 am

Clyde,
I also admire Ed Brown's teachings. He is a treasure in zen. I have admired him from a distance AND I know many who grew up with him since the sixties. In case you don't know this unfortunate course of events, Ed has been banned from teaching at his mothership, the sangha of nearly 50 years. I have been aware of this since the day it happened. I will explain below. I'm posting this because I think it gives us pause as to what a healthy zen practice is all about.

First, I emphasize that in my opinion and all those who know him this is pure bureaucratic BS. It is undeserved and I as well as many others are outraged. ofc, outrage in zen may look a litter different. lol ppl who know more than I say this is bureaucracy in action. These are ppl who have known and worked beside him, all as teachers, for nearly 50 years. Sometimes, zen comes to this.

So, please remember this is a heads up. It has nothing to do with Ed. It has nothing to do with sexual predation. There are some wounded souls who complained, he said the wrong thing.

It seems to me that part of zen is facing reality with an open heart. I am not privy to what has happened in the aftermath. Soul searching is called for. It's all there if you care to look. See for yourself.

Edward Brown barred from Teaching at SFZC
http://www.cuke.com/Cucumber%20Project/ ... m-sfzc.htm

.... if you are not aware, cuke.com website is created by David Chadwick, who created the archive for Suzuki Roshi's teachings. He was instrumental in building SFZC since the 60's. I once house sat for his cat, Freida Kaho, in reture he was kind enough to grease the wheels for me to work at Tassajara in the kitchen one summer.

San Franscico Zen teacher Ed Espe Brown has been banned from teaching at San Francisco Zen Center, and it’s affiliates.
https://www.reddit.com/r/zen/comments/9 ... _has_been/

at the end of the day, nothing has changed

clyde

Post by clyde » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 am

Yes, I read and listened to all the publicly available material at the time of the ‘incident’. Like you, I think the SFZC overreacted. I haven’t reviewed the materials since that time in October, 2018, but as I recall the person who reported their concern about a remark of Ed’s, also expressly said that no action should be taken except to talk with Ed.

You can read also about it on Facebook and my comments there:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1767931 ... 826418810/
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:38 am

Haven't heard about any of this, but his bread (etc.) is Jake with me. Long time, now. --Joe

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 am

clyde wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 am
Yes, I read and listened to all the publicly available material at the time of the ‘incident’. Like you, I think the SFZC overreacted. I haven’t reviewed the materials since that time in October, 2018, but as I recall the person who reported their concern about a remark of Ed’s, also expressly said that no action should be taken except to talk with Ed.

You can read also about it on Facebook and my comments there:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1767931 ... 826418810/
I read a lot about it, and came to the same conclusion. This seemed like a pretty big overreaction. The internet can be a pretty savage place, sometimes.
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

lindama

Post by lindama » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 am

Keith,
I'm not sure the internet has anything to do with this except that the whole issue became transparent. There is nothing left in the closet. The overreaction did not happen on the internet, it was the turn of events on the ground. I know many of these folks, face to face. not on the internet. have to admit, I have not seen comments on the web. didn't look for them. no need

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am

lindama wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 am
Keith,
I'm not sure the internet has anything to do with this except that the whole issue became transparent. There is nothing left in the closet. The overreaction did not happen on the internet, it was the turn of events on the ground. I know many of these folks, face to face. not on the internet. have to admit, I have not seen comments on the web. didn't look for them. no need
Oh, I don't know Linda...can you say the internet had nothing to do with it and then turn around and say you haven't read them?

Anyway, I do think organizations fear the reaction on the internet and make decisions accordingly.
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

lindama

Post by lindama » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 am

KeithA wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am
lindama wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 am
Keith,
Oh, I don't know Linda...can you say the internet had nothing to do with it and then turn around and say you haven't read them?

Anyway, I do think organizations fear the reaction on the internet and make decisions accordingly.
small point, all I meant was that as far as I saw, the internet was a vehicle for information, like a newspaper.... that's why I said it was transparent.,,, the so called cause/result were there. yes, the event became public knowledge. sounds like I missed something?

have no idea about what organizations think or fear. ofc, there is truth when it comes to corporations. this particular organization was quite transparent.