Wendell Berry

Find out who is who in Zen
[james]

Wendell Berry

Post by [james] » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm

In an other thread Meido quoted Torei ...
If you wish to attain this true and genuine Way, you must pay close attention to all the details.
I have always been drawn to the American author, poet, essayist and farmer Wendell Berry’s insistence on paying close attention to all the details and so, though he might not be seen by most as a Zen person, he has been nonetheless a strong influence on my own development and progress on this path. I would recommend his writing and example as a clear expression of Zen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Berry

Dan74
Site Admin

Re: Wendell Berry

Post by Dan74 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Could you quote some of your favourite poems by Berry, James? I had a look at his wiki page, sounds like an interesting guy - not much space for this sort of thing in the 21st Century, sadly..
Not Site Admin any longer, despite what it says.

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Not having much affinity to poetry, I never delved into Berry’s poems. Though I haven’t read all of his work, not even close, three that especially caught me are “The Gift of Good Land”, “What Are People For?” and “The Unsettling of America”. His topic is mainly stewardship, cultural and ecological, and his point of view is Christian. I am not Christian myself but, as he is not triumphalist in his Christian expression, it is not difficult to listen to his words.

I was hoping to quote a few representative paragraphs to answer your post but now realize that the books that I have are still packed away in boxes from a not so recent move. So ... no can do! I can say, though, that, for me, his work is often a very slow read ...so rich it is that I find myself frequently reading a few lines or paragraphs and having to put the book down to let my mind wander in his meaning.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Not an official site, in fact Berry cares not for Internet. Anyway, a lot of content from and about Berry.

http://brtom.typepad.com/wberry/
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19