Helping raise Zen Space profile on searches

Get news and information about the forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

Dan74
Site Admin

Helping raise Zen Space profile on searches

Post by Dan74 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am

Hi Folks,

At the moment, this forum doesn't come up when one searches for a zen forum anywhere near the first page. One of the things we can do is help create links to it and the natural place would be on various Buddhist and Zen Buddhist directories. Here's a link to a few:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

http://www.buddhanet.net/

http://buddhistdimensions.blogspot.ch/2 ... ctory.html

Perhaps you could find more.

If anyone here could spare some time and apply to list this place, that would be great. Also post to let others know that you have, so that others look elsewhere.

Thank you!

_/|\_

jundocohen

Re: Helping raise Zen Space profile on searches

Post by jundocohen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:29 pm

A bit off topic, but I am having trouble to access the Forum from my smart phone. Lap top and computer, no problem. Any ideas?

Gassho, Jundo
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm on samsung s7 (android) right now.. Which phone and has it got the latest software upgrade?

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I just typed “Zen Space Forum” into Google and this place came up first on the first page. I don’t understand what you are getting at, Dan, ie. what change you are hoping to see.

This place is only a little over two months old. As of this morning we have 40 members and 95 topics for an average of 2.4 topics per member. Dharmawheel is 8+ years old (I’m guessing), has 8962 members and 23763 topics which, after all these years, is still only an average of 2.65 topics per member.

Perhaps these numbers, as statistics, are quite meaningless. But, as one unschooled in statistics, they are suggesting to me that we are not doing too badly.

Patiently, patiently ...

There used to be a radio program that I once enjoyed listening to ... The Vinyl Café. Their motto was “We may not be big, but we’re small”.

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 pm

el gatito wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:10 pm
Now what if you type Zen Forum without the word "Space"?..

On a serious note, we are hoping to see dramatic changes, as soon as there are 100 inbound links to this place. Consider it just like a religious belief. Search engines and their ways of functioning are the 6th of the 5 inconceivables..
It takes time for word to spread. Since, as I look at it, this place is already doing well, dramatic changes are unnecessary though probably inevitable. What is that Chinese saying ... ? “Be careful what you hope for”

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 pm

My possibly simplistic thinking is that we have several excellent teachers and many interesting members. Already we've had some good exchanges and if we make this place available to the folks out there, it might do some good.

Or maybe not..

PS I'm learning to become slightly alarmed every time El G says 'on a serious note'.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 am

It’s not difficult to expand your presence on various Google searches. Basically you need a Blogger account that lists every search word combination you can imagine. I have one for pottery that last time I looked had about 20,000 hits. Then every post needs the link to the forum.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I just want all members to know that Switzerland is positively teeming with Zen Buddhists and I am a very busy man (well I am actually since finally starting to work this week).

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm

el gatito wrote:
[james] wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:54 pm
I just typed “Zen Space Forum” into Google and this place came up first on the first page. I don’t understand what you are getting at, Dan, ie. what change you are hoping to see.

On a serious note, we are hoping to see dramatic changes, as soon as there are 100 inbound links to this place. Consider it just like a religious belief. Search engines and their ways of functioning are the 6th of the 5 inconceivables..
Google will always list affiliates first. Seriously think about putting up a page on Google that loads to here.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm
el gatito wrote:
[james] wrote:

Google will always list affiliates first. Seriously think about putting up a page on Google that loads to here.
What do you mean? Another url that redirects here??

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Sure, make a list of every search word related to Zen, Chan, etc. and load it into a series of articles about the forum on a blogger site. That’s a Google brand and your Google search numbers will soar. List the handy link to the forum on ever blogger post. Snap

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:47 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Sure, make a list of every search word related to Zen, Chan, etc. and load it into a series of articles about the forum on a blogger site. That’s a Google brand and your Google search numbers will soar. List the handy link to the forum on ever blogger post. Snap
Check out my blog with over 20,000 hits

americanpotter.blogspot.com

It gets big numbers because of the technical language used, so it should be successful to use Zen as a topic with all its specialized language. Therefore anyone searching Zen words on Google will get repeated links to a Zen Space blog - but it’s only the trailer for the real movie: the forum

Likewise - instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, etc. all place to imbed a link to this site

boda

Post by boda » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:10 pm

[james] wrote:
I just typed “Zen Space Forum” into Google and this place came up first on the first page.
Sweet, but the the zen astronauts who did the search may not find that this forum is about what they expected it would be about.

boda

Post by boda » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:16 pm

FYI, need to bolster the infrastructure BEFORE increasing traffic or much of whatever’s gained could be immediately lost. Or am I the only one who occasionally gets the too many connections error.

Georgei

Post by Georgei » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 am

Dan74 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am
Hi Folks,

At the moment, this forum doesn't come up when one searches for a zen forum anywhere near the first page.
I all...

I apologize for my first post being within this topic as compared to general Zen discussion, or a proper introduction.. Being brand new here, I am simply navigating through the forum reading through the topics first. But, felt a need to chime in here ..

Would like to ask if the forum has been submitted to all the various internet search engines. Google, Yahoo, Bing, and others.. It also helps to submit individual boards and even individual topics that have a title which is key word relevant to Zen Buddhism to the same search engines.

Important also to note that hundreds or thousands of "hits" recorded to a blog or website are primarily search engine bots.. Not actual people..

A good possibility that the forum does yet not appear ( and I checked ) on any of the first few Google search returned pages is the title .. It really should be more key word relevant. When folks search the internet for Zen related information, we would not type in "Zen Space." We would tend to type in different key words like Zen Buddhism, Zen discussion forum, Zen Buddhism forum, or "Zen Buddhist Community Discussion Forum." This last one pretty much covers all the relevant key search words folks would use in one way or another. More direct key words will get the forum indexed much nicer within the search engines resulting in folks finding it..

Just my two cents...

Ok, back to reading through the rest of the forum :112:

boda

Post by boda » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi Georgei,

Welcome to the Zen Buddhist Community Discussion Forum! I hope you find the Zen Buddhist Community Discussion Forum useful. It's great having you on the Zen Buddhist Community Discussion Forum. :hatsoff: