Forum posting issue

News and information about the forum.
Meido

Forum posting issue

Post by Meido » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Folks, for some reason some new posts are appearing above the previous post, rather than after.

I expect our expert staff will sort this out shortly, apologies. If you post something and this happens, I'm guessing we will be able to move it to its correct place.

Please let us know if any other odd issues are popping up.

~ Meido
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

[Note: not reachable by PM. To get in touch please email through the website above.]

michaeljc

Re: Forum posting issue

Post by michaeljc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Aha! Jundo is right - time is not linear :lol:

Meido

Post by Meido » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Hehe, yes :)

And, seems to be working again...at least for me.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Still an issue in some threads, but not others.

Staff has been notified...
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

[Note: not reachable by PM. To get in touch please email through the website above.]

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 pm

el gatito wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:18 pm
We are an a "cloud hosting", means the host firm is using a bank of servers, one of them seems to have wrong system time, so we are screwed if the other servers have the time set correctly. If one posts while served by the right server all is good otherwise the time stamp is wrong.

Created a support ticket with the host. The time is obviously wrong, and how exactly wrong -- it varies from visit to visit.
Maybe one post took the ping-pong route through Kalymukastan and parked at the local post office with the camel out on strike, while the other flew away on a Swift Pair of Messengers direct to your inbox? Hmmm?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Meido wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm
~ Meido
I’m finding that ZenSpace pages are very slow to load, 4 to 7 seconds, unlike just about anything else I open. This is not new.

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

[james] wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm
Meido wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm
~ Meido
I’m finding that ZenSpace pages are very slow to load, 4 to 7 seconds, unlike just about anything else I open. This is not new.
Takes a second here James, sometimes it's "stuck" and then I just refresh it.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm

el gatito wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm
Now that the time is once again showing rightly, my final diagnosis is as follows:

This forum phpBB software looks into the production server's (i.e. the physical machine serving a user at any given time) "system time" variable to determine the actual time. The server's "system time" variable can be set in such a manner that it assumes the server's "hardware clock" (machine's physical clock) time is either UTC or "local-time". The inconsistency in these settings across all the production servers through which we view the forum and post here in this forum causes the post's timestamp to either jump to 4 hours back -- or to return to norm.

I could not make this understandable to our hosting firm's support team through numerous communications. I gave up!

So we are to either accept things as they are -- or move to a better host (as the overall performance is currently below my initial expectations).

If there is a volunteer system admin on board (or reading this post) willing to undertake the steps needed -- please make your presence known! The estimated pay is about USD $300.oo per hour (ask the forum admin for the exact hourly rate).
I think you've been doing a stellar job, El G, but it might just be that this is another case of 'you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

As regards a System Admin, I am willing to donate 100% of my wage and profit from this Board, plus a great deal of good karma. We may well need to move, lets see how it goes in the next week or so.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm

I understand that David moved Dharma Wheel to Amazon Web Services after their proposed upgrade went pear-shaped in September when they were badly let down by their service provider. And I would guess that either an Amazon Web Service or Microsoft Azure-based hosting service would have to be the best option for hosting. Their infrastructure and facilities are huge compared to most hosting services, based on my general knowledge of industry standards (unless there’s something I don’t know).
Last edited by Wayfarer on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most important thing is not at all important.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 pm

I don't know if it's location specific...but this site loads up quickly and reliably for me.

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 am

Yes I also find the site loads ok except I get quite a few service not available messages, which generally disappear if I refresh the page.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:03 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 am
Yes I also find the site loads ok except I get quite a few service not available messages, which generally disappear if I refresh the page.
I just got one. So, apparently I jinxed myself!
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 am

I don't know if I would take it on - I am in the tech industry but as a tech writer/trainer not as a developer or system administrator - I have general knowledge but not specific skills re web hosting. The site does work fine as is, and is very inexpensive to run, although as we are seeing, there are some minor issues.