This Forum Future

Get news and information about the forum.
Larry

Re: This Forum Future

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes, might as well let it run until the end of the free trial. If it only ever has six members, it's not really worth keeping, even if there's no ZFI.

What's your gut instinct on ZFI? Do you think there'll be sufficient enthusiasm in technicals, admin & finance to get it airborne again?

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Larry wrote:Yes, might as well let it run until the end of the free trial. If it only ever has six members, it's not really worth keeping, even if there's no ZFI.

What's your gut instinct on ZFI? Do you think there'll be sufficient enthusiasm in technicals, admin & finance to get it airborne again?
If the six members are actually active here and are creating content that will attract others to become active members then there is reason to carry on. ZFI hasn't been airborne for a long time now and gradually lost altitude for a variety of identifiable reasons (from my perspective these included the posting styles of certain members and the meandering, chatty content of too often unmoderated threads).

It is not necessary to recreate ZFI here. This can be something very different. How about, as one suggestion, personal practice threads where a member can clearly or unclearly describe their own practice (a useful endeavor in itself) and perhaps be supported and challenged with the careful, well considered, metta inspired commentary of other active members.

ZenSpace now, as ZFI earlier, is an expression of its members. We have an interesting opportunity and what we make of it is up to the creative imagination and enthusiasm we manifest. Practice is also here.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 am

Something has changed....slightly....

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /search.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

michaeljc

Post by michaeljc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 am

I am not sure where to put this simple message. Here is as good as anywhere. I have just cancelled both the web hosting and domain name ownership of ZFI. Subscriptions were due. I wont go into elaborate explanations of why except to say through some technical issue it went offline some months back and that I, among many, had no idea on how to rectify the problem. Furthermore, it became clear that the original founders had no desire to keep it going.

One door closes another opens. I am enjoying this new site.

Regards to all

Michael

lobster

Post by lobster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:50 am

michaeljc wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 am
I am enjoying this new site.
'Me too' as people say at the moment.

:hatsoff:

ZFI is dead. Seems like a fitting end.
Many thanks to all those who made it, supported and maintained it.

And now to the enjoyable :109:

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 am

michaeljc wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 am
I am not sure where to put this simple message. Here is as good as anywhere. I have just cancelled both the web hosting and domain name ownership of ZFI. Subscriptions were due. I wont go into elaborate explanations of why except to say through some technical issue it went offline some months back and that I, among many, had no idea on how to rectify the problem. Furthermore, it became clear that the original founders had no desire to keep it going.

One door closes another opens. I am enjoying this new site.

Regards to all

Michael
Thank you, Michael, for the kind word, and for sharing. Is there any backup of ZFI somewhere? Or could the host be contacted to see if they still have one??

As for this site, I see it as the sum of us, with the staff's role being as unobtrusive as possible. Like a sheriff in a good town when the worst is some kids getting pissed and thinking of some mischief, so that just walking by and giving a stern look is enough. In such a place, it's the community spirit and the way everyone has an opportunity, gives their best and is respected for that, that makes it work, I think.
Not Site Admin any longer, despite what it says.

michaeljc

Post by michaeljc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:41 am

Dan -

I have no idea if there is a backup. At one time I cared, now I don't. I don't enjoy that type of IT investigation one little bit, so had no enthusiasm to do the hard yards to work it all out. Besides, there were wheels within wheels that were not encouraging

I do find it interesting that the online dynamics changed and is part of the mix that lead to ZFI's demise. This new site has a different feel about it and we are not getting the casual traffic experienced by ZFI during its mid-life. This must be to do with search behavior - not necessarily to do with exposure. I believe that the switch to smart phones is a big factor. People are speeding up looking for an instant hit. Scary really

I kinda like this new flavour here. Its a quiet back bar where friends mingle

No doubt it will evolve too to who knows where

Cheers

m

E.T.

Post by E.T. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 am

Well,
Carol is the 'owner' of the domain name zenforuminternational.org apparently for (another) four years. Does she have any plans of re-starting ZFI?
Otherwise; good to get the status of ZFI clarified. Gives us here more free hands. Let me know, how I maybe can be of help.
Buddhist Society (of Denmark) https://buddhistisksamfund.dk
Havredal Zendo https://havredalzendo.dk

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Suggestion: Have a sponsorship organization, maybe a board or committee, say "International Zen Forums" that will operate both within and without the forum to give it real life stability, raise funds, conduct oversight, etc.?

:106:
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

boda

Post by boda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 am

Zen forum international has a rather bad rep. I would suggest avoiding any association with it.