Forum Status Updates

Get news and information about the forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

Larry

Re: Forum Status Updates

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:18 pm

This could be the only Internet forum in existence that is self moderating. So far :D
el gatito wrote: Of course if there is any spambot or a human spammer signing up it will be removed.
Does that include plugging DW? :D

[james]

Post by [james] » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm

admin wrote:User el gatito is temporary banned from posting for misbehavior on the forum;
He, el gatito, looks good in black.
I would say, also, that he/you is over reacting ... just as Desert Joe did.
What’s the point? Larry!?

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Tumbling :D

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 am

El G, thank you for the service!!!

Will this stay up? I confess to having a bit of an apprehension that you will pull this down...

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Well, I don't mind being the owner, if you are happy to do the technical stuff. Even in my current situation, I think I can scrape up $25 a year! I think the first thing a forum needs is a sense that it's not likely to disappear overnight.

[james]

Post by [james] » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

“el gatito” wrote:So, please post here domains that you would like this forum to have. And we will discuss them.
As a start then ...
Forum Name: JustThis
Purpose: JustThis is a meeting place and forum of discussion for those with an interest in the study and practice of the Chân, Zen, Seon and Thien traditions of Buddhist inquiry.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

To be clear - I am not negotiating anything. My only agenda is to help this forum survive this initial stage by providing a secure hands-off ownership.

What happens in terms of the actual running is not something's been discussed yet. My wish would be for someone tried and true like the names I've mwntioned on DW, to step forward and take the reigns.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, somehow I am the admin. At the moment what I am trying to do is reach out to as many Zen people as I can, to come and get involved here. Hopefully this place gathers some momentum.

In the meantime, I encourage folks (yeah, all 10 of us or so) to help create a hub of resources for Beginners and others (I've created a subforum for that at the bottom, and will move the existing Hongzhi stuff there) apart from discussing and starting new topics. We are without rules and moderation for now...

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 am

el gatito wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 pm
I am very sorry, but I will be not available for the next several months, and will not be able to assist in any way to manage this board. I do regret inconvenience caused.
Best, --Joe
"Ignorance is to be ignorant of one's original mind." - Ma Tsu

"Liberation is awakening to one's original nature." - Ma Tsu

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 am

Well, El G did not keep his promise of not being available and actually has been helping a lot.

_/|\_ _/|\_ _/|\_

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm

I was just going through the tools and saw these settings, which I changed to be more in line with the common practice as I know it. Generally leaving the option to edit posts indefinitely can destroy the coherence of a thread, when what people reply to is no longer there. But if anyone objects strongly and has a good reason, please don't hesitate to say so.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 am

Yes, leave it as Infinitely Open. As an old duffer I will sometimes go back to an old thread (or even a recent one) to fix a dead link or tinker with the wording in some way. Always try to remember to add - EDIT on such & such date.

Also appreciate the Bump Up option, but maybe that is already here.
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 am

el gatito wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 am
Dan74 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm
I was just going through the tools and saw these settings, which I changed to be more in line with the common practice as I know it. Generally leaving the option to edit posts indefinitely can destroy the coherence of a thread, when what people reply to is no longer there. But if anyone objects strongly and has a good reason, please don't hesitate to say so.
You know what... I've been following a forum (an expat community), for 10+ years, it is with about 3500 members currently, managed mostly by a single person, and with no time limits on editing user's posts whatsoever. Means, absolutely, up to 10 years back, every one can edit posts. It is running in a sort of a "self-settling" manner. And "its all good", as GG used to say.

Here, where most of the people are responsible adults (or maybe not so?), with many 60+ years old, with a number of recognized teachers -- don't you think that if someone wants their post edited then they deserve this right? Honestly, I thought this would be one of the fundamental principles here. That's my personal opinion regarding this matter. Would love to hear others'.
Actually no, I didn't think so. Threads unfold like conversations. In conversations, we don't go back to change what we've said, but we can add or say that we didn't express ourselves well or changed our mind. Same here. Threads unfold in time and the point is that we preserve them as they unfold. If people change their mind, they can say so when that happens. And in special circumstances, make a request, giving a reason, that their old post may be edited or deleted. This is why we should do our best in expressing ourselves and why threads are actually saved on the forum. But I guess one could always quote the post one is replying to and whatever one edits then wouldn't change much at all. This is just what I think.

I've changed the setting to no limit in accordance with yours, Nicholas and bokki's wishes.

_/|\_

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Wow!!! Amazing job, El G.
:bow2: :bow2: :bow2:

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Yes, yes! Hoping to have lots of them 50% owners sending it in to...

Dan74
Bahama Retirement Villa Kickstarter (BRVK)
not-yet-tax-deductible but looking to rebranding it as the First United Church of Clueless
:113:

E.T.

Post by E.T. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 am

It is somewhat unstable - but I think congratulations is in order.
Sorry for my meddling. If the admin & tech people here says "stable", then I will close down my second 'trying to help'.
Buddhist Society (of Denmark) https://buddhistisksamfund.dk
Havredal Zendo https://havredalzendo.dk

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 pm

This forum as off line for about 36 hours (maybe) from my end. I found that Dharmawheel is useful as a backup site, but I find it’s essential to have a Zen-specific site, and use Dharmawheel for general Buddhist topics. I know DW ppl would like to have us occupy the Zen boards, but I’ve noticed newbie questions there sometimes get piled onto by PureLanders and TBers, I’ve made the same mistake going into their boards with offtopic remarks. I did a bit of research into eSangha and ZFI controversies, because I missed out on all that action. Myself I need to also apply Non-attachment to views, and not respond to speculation that does not lead to clear understanding. And it’s important to keep moving forward.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

[james]

Post by [james] » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18 pm

Did we lose some members? I thought we were at, or over, 50, now we are back to 46 ...

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm

For some background, I have no beef whatsoever with DW. I used to serve as the admin there a few years ago and as someone privy to a lot of behind the scenes conversation, my experience is that it is and always has been run by good people who want to do their best for Mahayana Buddhists on the interwebs. But the simple fact of the matter is that it is largely a Vajrayana board and any Zen activity typically gets buried under the mass of Vajrayana posts. People who come looking for Zen won't get the impression that DW is the place, I think. So while DW has some great regulars still, I think this place has its place. We will see!!

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Yes, we lost half a day to a day worth including some members.