Forum Status Updates

Get news and information about the forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

el gatito

Forum Status Updates

Post by el gatito » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm

You guys lost me.

Thinking of this site as just a temporary board (“free-trial” hosting, free domain, free software), while ZFI is off -- I am now a bit shocked by how rapidly and mysteriously things develop.

Looking at all of this today, and especially practice stories sharing thread, it seems that it is no longer a good fit for the garbage can.

So, here is the status of the board, as of now. The database, including all of the posts and user accounts, is periodically backed up to a file and is stored in a safe place (for the record, the present actual size of the database is 0.73 MB and it fits into a compressed gzip 77 KB only file). In case of any sort of a problem with any of our free domain/hosting providers, the forum can be restored at any other place, free or commercial, in an hour or two. If there is a need for an emergency move - the domain zenspace.tk will point to a new place (but no one should notice anything). If the very domain fails or is changed, I will post notice on DW.

Note: This board has no email system presently, as the free-trial plan goes with no mail service. But PM system works.

Also, please note, there is no moderation of any sort, and no moderators, so not a single word is being edited, but instead every user has unlimited time to edit any of their posts, for as many times as they wish. So, if every one could please behave themselves in such a way that there are no serious conflicts, that would be highly desirable. at this moment. Of course if there is any spambot or a human spammer signing up it will be removed.

Larry

Re: Forum Status Updates

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:18 pm

This could be the only Internet forum in existence that is self moderating. So far :D
el gatito wrote: Of course if there is any spambot or a human spammer signing up it will be removed.
Does that include plugging DW? :D

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 am

Earlier today attempted to move to another host and posted a notice here. But then rolled back the move, so everything remains as it is, whoever read that past notice -- please disregard, we remain here, as usual.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 am

:arrow: User el gatito is temporary banned from posting for misbehavior on the forum.

:arrow: Domain name zenspace.tk is once again operational as a pointer to this site.

[james]

Post by [james] » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm

admin wrote:User el gatito is temporary banned from posting for misbehavior on the forum;
He, el gatito, looks good in black.
I would say, also, that he/you is over reacting ... just as Desert Joe did.
What’s the point? Larry!?

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Tumbling :D

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 am

El G, thank you for the service!!!

Will this stay up? I confess to having a bit of an apprehension that you will pull this down...

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I am not sure about the future of this site. Going the route of constantly changing free hosting providers, temporary domain names, but keep the content alive -- is possible, but this would be a very bad practice with regard to the search engine indexing (means, there would be no source of new members other than word of mouth, or the DW site, or the like). With such a small membership it would sooner or later come to a complete decline.

To proceed with the commercial hosting and regular domain name would be contrary to my original intention to make it absolutely free, not involving any sort of financing whatsoever, and consequently the disputes over who is to pay for what, how is to renew this or that, who owns what, and who doesn't own anything, etc. But it could be a starting point for the site being fully indexed by the search engines and the visitors from there being registered as new members.

As of yet, the situation is as follows. The site is hosted on a good host, but the free trial period is limited. Until 30-Dec. The domain is hosted with a free registrar but they can take it from me at any moment, with no notice.

My research in order to find the cheapest option for commercial hosting is as follows. This very host offers Linux hosting package at USD $3.00 per month, or $36.00 per year. Possibly there is a 30% off offer resulting in $25.20 USD per year. The cheapest domain can be registered for as low as $0.48 the first year plus the ICANN annual fee of $0.18. But much more expensive later. Or, for around $12.00 every year.

Nonetheless, however cheap, I don't want to have a business-like relationship to this enterprise, i.e. receive, pay or distribute funds. And have not figured out a way around this. As of yet.

So, technically, unless anything changes, this site is going to keep going the "free" route, upgrading possibly to the latest phpBB version soon. Notifying of any further changes to its web address.

EDIT: upgraded to the latest phpBB. Report problems, if any. zenspace @ eml.cc

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Well, I don't mind being the owner, if you are happy to do the technical stuff. Even in my current situation, I think I can scrape up $25 a year! I think the first thing a forum needs is a sense that it's not likely to disappear overnight.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 pm

This is in the process of negotiations, outside the forum. Will post updates here as soon as everything is decided upon.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 am

I would suggest making the transition to paid hosting in two stages:

1. Register a domain name right away.

2. Use fully the current free trial period, and only on 20-Dec or about that day transfer to a paid plan, to minimize costs.

This will give us more time to see if new users come, or if ZFI reopens and if so what is the reaction. At the same time, pointing the domain here, search engine will start indexing the content. As the links will be the same on a new paid plan, this should work just fine.

To minimize the initial investment, I would suggest to register a $0.99 domain at GoDaddy:

http://www.godaddy.com/domains/99-cent-domains

http://www.google.com/search?q=.99+doma ... odaddy.com

When paying, there will be the final amount shown as “$1.17” ($0.99 Domain + $0.18 fee). This is the initial amount to invest in this site -- USD $1.17 exactly.

If this sounds agreeable, please post your suggestions of our domain name. It must cost 0.99 / 1st year on GoDaddy (use the link above to their domain search page) and must show "Available" there. Maybe the .BIZ extension, as this will be kind of a business?..

So, please post here domains that you would like this forum to have. And we will discuss them.

I have removed funny ranks, groups, and colors. Going serious. Maybe we will need to invite a teacher to say inauguration speech.

[james]

Post by [james] » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

“el gatito” wrote:So, please post here domains that you would like this forum to have. And we will discuss them.
As a start then ...
Forum Name: JustThis
Purpose: JustThis is a meeting place and forum of discussion for those with an interest in the study and practice of the Chân, Zen, Seon and Thien traditions of Buddhist inquiry.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

To be clear - I am not negotiating anything. My only agenda is to help this forum survive this initial stage by providing a secure hands-off ownership.

What happens in terms of the actual running is not something's been discussed yet. My wish would be for someone tried and true like the names I've mwntioned on DW, to step forward and take the reigns.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Within the next 4 hours this forum will be accessible at the following URL:

http://zen1.space

It may take longer to clear DNS cache all over the Internet.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 pm

I am very sorry, but I will be not available for the next several months, and will not be able to assist in any way to manage this board. I do regret inconvenience caused.

The forum is ready.

The phpBB has been updated to the latest version 3.2.1 and tested.

The domain name resolves properly.

To activate board email system admins will have to add SMTP server data, for example gmail, in the forums Admin Control Panel -- Email settings -- SMTP settings. I have tested gmail -- works perfectly.

To fight spam in the future -- admins have to add reCaptcha to the antispambot measures.

Dan74 is the forum new admin. Best of luck to all and thank you for registering.

el g

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, somehow I am the admin. At the moment what I am trying to do is reach out to as many Zen people as I can, to come and get involved here. Hopefully this place gathers some momentum.

In the meantime, I encourage folks (yeah, all 10 of us or so) to help create a hub of resources for Beginners and others (I've created a subforum for that at the bottom, and will move the existing Hongzhi stuff there) apart from discussing and starting new topics. We are without rules and moderation for now...

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 am

el gatito wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 pm
I am very sorry, but I will be not available for the next several months, and will not be able to assist in any way to manage this board. I do regret inconvenience caused.
Best, --Joe
"There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us". – Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 am

Well, El G did not keep his promise of not being available and actually has been helping a lot.

_/|\_ _/|\_ _/|\_

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm

el gatito wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm
... every user has unlimited time to edit any of their posts, for as many times as they wish...
Just noticed that this is no longer so. Means, forum users have no longer the right to edit or to delete their own posts for unlimited time.

As I myself couldn't edit my above post for the very same reason ( :o ), this is to notify users: my above promise is no longer valid.

~el g

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm

I was just going through the tools and saw these settings, which I changed to be more in line with the common practice as I know it. Generally leaving the option to edit posts indefinitely can destroy the coherence of a thread, when what people reply to is no longer there. But if anyone objects strongly and has a good reason, please don't hesitate to say so.