Forum Status Updates

Get news and information about the forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

el gatito

Re: Forum Status Updates

Post by el gatito » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm

E.T. wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:19 pm
Well, I do have one: zenforum.international
If that name 'offend' anyone; how about zenspace.international?

I will merely be the background tech. Someone else need to be admin on the board.
E.T.
We all do appreciate your generous offer of web space at your hosting operations very much, and the domain name alias proposed. However, the ethical and possibly legal complications (related to the owners of the former ZFI forum) would prevent this forum's team from using the words "zen forum international" in any way. The team members would possibly reply on their own later.

Regarding the transition to either Amazon AWS, or a to a new hosting firm, this has to be of course discussed. Possibly in a new topic. The last two days -- it was the longest server outage on a shared hosting in my experience, and the host's killing our fresh database replacing it with the older backup was less than good thing to us.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

User bodhi activated manually.

User narhwal90 activated manually.

You can login and start posting.

New users from now on should go through normal automated activation process.

Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm here now! :hatsoff:

E.T.

Post by E.T. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:10 pm

zenspace.international is set up w. phpbb & ready if needed.

The server here is the best, fastest and most reliable I have been using so far (20+ years)
Buddhist Society (of Denmark) https://buddhistisksamfund.dk
Havredal Zendo https://havredalzendo.dk

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm

Fruitzilla wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm
I'm here now! :hatsoff:
:109:

Glad you made it, Erik!
E.T. wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:10 pm
zenspace.international is set up w. phpbb & ready if needed.

The server here is the best, fastest and most reliable I have been using so far (20+ years)
This is cool and I wonder if it is possible to mirror the Forum, so that if it goes down here, we can quickly point the url to yours and continue almost seemlessly? Is that a silly question?? (I am no techie)

E.T.

Post by E.T. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm

Best I can think of is duplicating the structure & setup.
Then the DB needs copying as often as possible. If a couple of people have access to both servers, then not much would be lost.

E.T.

Post by E.T. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:28 pm

Clouds can be used & syncing between servers via these clouds can be set up, but the DB can not be synced this way without backing it up to a file first.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:26 pm

el gatito wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

New users from now on should go through normal automated activation process.
New users was not able to register again, and it lasted for God knows how long, since our host updated something on their servers (cannot tell when exactly) and that caused the Google reCaptcha (as our antispambot measure) to fail.

Disabling it totally now, so that from now on new users have to enter a text from image, and have valid email to register.

Everyone who failed to register in the past days -- please re-try. Sorry for the trouble.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Disregard the image test. This doesn't work against robots. Immediately two spambots signed-up.

From now on new users have to answer a question. They have to type a single word backwards.

I cannot make the Google reCaptcha working again, this is beyond my power (technically, the "https wrapper" is disabled in the server configuration now and that makes sending https requests to Google to verify captcha impossible).

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:06 pm

OK, have fixed the PHP misconfiguration myself. Google Captcha reinstated. Everyone who failed to register in the past days -- please re-try.

Sorry for the trouble once again.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Thank you, El G.

You keep us afloat. :bow2:

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 am

Dan74 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm
Thank you, El G.

Indeed...thanks El G. :hatsoff:
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

lobster

Post by lobster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 am

The forum goes down? I thought it was a feature/teaching? Ah well ... :114:

:113:

Many thanks to all involved in keeping us safe from spambots ( some of my favourite cyber friends :shock: ) malware, malaware and cyber zen-ware promotion (commercial data mining) :bow2:

Maybe the Buddha will steal my identity for dubious purposes?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theft

:113:

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Figured out the reason. The host upgraded the cPanel (website managment software), and as almost always during updates, upgrades or crash fixes/restores, some of the settings are either reset, or modified, server-wide, and this affects all the users hosting their sites on the server. When nothing at all works after such updates -- it is much easier to see what is going wrong. But when, as in the recent case, only a couple of minor change are done, which are invisible (the site seemingly continues to work as normal) -- this is another matter. When (if) this becomes fully intolerable we will consider a new host.

Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm

KeithA wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 am
Dan74 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm
Thank you, El G.

Indeed...thanks El G. :hatsoff:
Thirded! :115:

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Not sure if Google reCaptcha was actually cracked by spambot software ( https://www.google.com/search?q=recaptc ... y+spambots ) -- we are still getting sign ups from these. Setting now new user reg. to Q and A to see what happens within the following week.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:11 pm

The "contact us" page that sends contact form content by email will be disabled for the nearest future. It is under spambot attack currently, the mail server is getting like 20 incoming mails per minute.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Not much activity down here either. Just wondering if it's still possible to post?

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 am

A suggestion: the thread a wrote a couple of weeks back ‘Entering the Zen Path’ has by now faded off the front page, as threads will always do.

So I propose re-posting it as a ‘sticky post’ in the Beginner’s section as an introductory article. I am intending to do more of the same on various topics relating to the Zen path. (I intend to write the posts on the basis of published posts on reputable sites and books, and will provide all necessary acknowledgements.)

I am proposing that these articles be reviewed by mods and admins prior to going live and are then presented as “FYI Articles” rather than ‘topics for debate’ (although of course anything in them can be debated in the appropriate forum. But I have the idea that if they attract debates they will tend to loose their status as ‘informational articles’. But this is one of the points I want to discuss.)

I’m also considering creating a User ID like ‘Zen Space’ or ‘Moderators’ to post under, to reflect that the FYI posts are not the work of an individual but are ‘editorial articles’ provided ‘for the information of visitors and registered users’.

What do we think?
The most important thing is not at all important.

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:17 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 am
A suggestion: the thread a wrote a couple of weeks back ‘Entering the Zen Path’ has by now faded off the front page, as threads will always do.

So I propose re-posting it as a ‘sticky post’ in the Beginner’s section as an introductory article. I am intending to do more of the same on various topics relating to the Zen path. (I intend to write the posts on the basis of published posts on reputable sites and books, and will provide all necessary acknowledgements.)

I am proposing that these articles be reviewed by mods and admins prior to going live and are then presented as “FYI Articles” rather than ‘topics for debate’ (although of course anything in them can be debated in the appropriate forum. But I have the idea that if they attract debates they will tend to loose their status as ‘informational articles’. But this is one of the points I want to discuss.)

I’m also considering creating a User ID like ‘Zen Space’ or ‘Moderators’ to post under, to reflect that the FYI posts are not the work of an individual but are ‘editorial articles’ provided ‘for the information of visitors and registered users’.

What do we think?
I am working on an introductory "How to Shikantaza" that was requested.

Gassho, Jundo
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org