Jundo's Absence

Get news and information about the forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

Dan74
Site Admin

Jundo's Absence

Post by Dan74 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:46 am

Dear Members

I made a decision to suspend Jundo Cohen's membership.

This forum is meant to serve as a diverse platform for sharing about Zen Buddhism and not any one tradition, lineage or teacher's platform. Such an impression was evidently being created as a number of teachers have declined my invitation to join on these grounds. Besides this, rightly or wrongly, Jundo is a controversial figure among Zen teachers, and this too was a factor that served to marginalise Zen Space.

We are hoping to hear from more teachers and trialling this temporary suspension to see whether it has a positive effect on the discussion here. I know that some members will miss Jundo, but they are welcome to contact him on FB (Soto Zen group) or indeed on Treeleaf. If you have any questions or comments, please contact me via a PM.

On a personal note, I thank Jundo for all his contributions here and the many lively discussions that ensued. I've learned a lot from them.

_/|\_

Dan74
Site Admin

Re: Jundo's Absence

Post by Dan74 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Jundo has asked me to post the following (unedited except for the italics):

Thank you to the many good friends I made here. Unfortunately, civil and calm "agreement to disagree" on matters of religious doctrine, including in Buddhism, is often impossible. This is especially true for those who are sensitive to any criticism of doctrines such as literal rebirth, and various forms of myth and pseudo-science in Buddhism. Discussion of such dearly held matters of faith will simply be taken as insult by someone. Frankly, I believe that this is a kind of closed-mindedness, even fear, of ideas. It is a shame that we live in such an age where, in both religion and politics, passions rule over dignified discussion. In fact, it is the same way that religion has been conducted for centuries, depending on the sometime inquisition to keep purity of the faith.

In all my time here, I never said the above directly, out of respect for others whose beliefs varied from my own. I said, "you could be right" or "it is only my belief, and I could be wrong, but .... " However, since I have now been told to exit nonetheless, I offer my opinion more directly. Buddhism is not any more free of tendencies toward fundamentalism than any other world religion.