photographs you have made.

Members' own poetry, paintings, crafts, songs, musical compositions, etc.
desert_woodworker

Re: Dreams (WAS: photographs you have made.)

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 am

Greetings,
Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 am
desert_woodworker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 am

My claim is that there are no dreams for such a person, given a genuine awakening. . .I am also talking about personal experience.
Very sad loss, imo.
That may be the view from samsara, there. I'm not talking here about the view from samsara. Neither are the Ch'an and Zen sources. And now, Linda also informs us that there are Tibetan sources, to boot (thanks!, Linda; I know too little about Vajrayana literature, but one of my best friends is an expert in it and teaching at Columbia these years; I may give him a jingle on Monday).

best, All,

Don't let the bedbugs bite,

("pleasant dreams"),

--Joe

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 am
Greetings,
Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 am
desert_woodworker wrote:

My claim is that there are no dreams for such a person, given a genuine awakening. . .I am also talking about personal experience.
Very sad loss, imo.
That may be the view from samsara, there. I'm not talking here about the view from samsara. Neither are the Ch'an and Zen sources. And now, Linda also informs us that there are Tibetan sources, to boot (thanks!, Linda; I know too little about Vajrayana literature, but one of my best friends is an expert in it and teaching at Columbia these years; I may give him a jingle on Monday).

best, All,

Don't let the bedbugs bite,

("pleasant dreams"),

--Joe
Ah yes. You have transcended samsara. Your humble discourse proves it.

desert_woodworker

Re: photographs you have made.

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 pm
Fuki,
fuki wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 am
I received this telescope a few months ago from a friend, who bought a new one and thus gave me his old one, I haven't used it yet.Any "good" you think?
A great 'scope! Lucky YOU!

It looks like a "Go-To" alt-azimuthly-mounted 90-mm catadioptric computer-controlled telescope. But I cannot read the maker's name, nor can I tell the optical prescription because I cannot see the front (opening) of the 'scope.

This is a very advanced telescope, but can in fact be very easy to use, because of its design-orientation toward the general public.

Optically, I bet it's great, and will show you many things. I suggest you try it out on the Moon, first, because that's very easy to do, and very breath-taking.

Pls. let me know the maker, and the model number of the 'scope, if you wish. You can also download complete "Instructions" from the maker; makers invariably have a website!, and "User Manuals" are usually lodged there, as well as other downloads. Wishes for good viewing, and,

Clear skies,

--Joe

(can't successfully attach a photo, because the site now says "Sorry, the site's Attachment-quota has been reached". Clyde?, can you cure this? Tnx).
EDIT: can now attach a photo... (Thanks!, El Gato!, for the site software tweak you've made today)

joe_tel_renovation_270.jpg
joe_tel_renovation_270.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:46 am

ha,
Kaya wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Ah yes. You have transcended samsara. Your humble discourse proves it.
Feller/gal has no faith in Buddhist practice?; nor experience of it?

Awakening is not permanent (so far), I say for the fourth time in this thread (or only third or 2nd).

"Lighten-up!"

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 am

Well then, if that's true, and the influence has evaporated too, then you're off the hook.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am

Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 am
Well then, if that's true, and the influence has evaporated too, then you're off the hook.
No hook. The Ch'an and Zen and Vajrayana sources also have a voice of their own for those who care to note. Else, it's a good reason not to miss the opportunity to remain silent, especially until you experience this.

--Joe

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:13 am

Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 am

Ah yes. You have transcended samsara. Your humble discourse proves it.

"oldies"
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am
Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 am
No hook. The Ch'an and Zen and Vajrayana sources also have a voice of their own for those who care to note. Else, it's a good reason not to miss the opportunity to remain silent, especially
until you experience this.

--Joe
Not really. It is more likely, per modern scientific research, that dreaming is simply not recalled, rather than ceasing.

Know that you will always fail to silence my voice.

Know too that you cannot assume to know someone else's experience.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am

Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 am
Know too that you cannot assume to know someone else's experience.
Likewise.

Strong practice,

--Joe

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:53 am

Unless, ofc, they try to brag about it here.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 am

Kaya wrote:
Not really. It is more likely, per modern scientific research, that dreaming is simply not recalled, rather than ceasing.
Negative. We both agree that the right (lucky) people are not likely to have been studied, at the right time(s).

Also, when the person is in the awakened state or some version of samadhi-state "24-7", it's yet to be seen if alpha-wave state would ever obtain, so that dreaming might become no longer a part of the landscape in sleep, nor at any other hours of day (as it was not, in my several months long experience; and then shorter times after subsequent stoppages of everything; that is, during lengthy episodes of "no-mind").

Lots to do!, for "Science". It's early/earliest days in Science, vis-a-vis original human inheritance, original human nature, the awakened state, the awakened condition. Studies of subjects with mind when not moving for weeks and months.

As a scientist myself, I welcome what can be looked-at and looked-into. We know what the samsara state looks like in a great cohort of volunteers or subjects, and not so much at all about what the awakened state looks like, to the same scientific instruments, study, and methodology.

Personally, we may make first-person reports for willing scientists of various kinds to ingest. But I'd like also to see what traditional scientific study instrumental methods might expose and document. This could be good for all humankind, even for those who do not practice as we Zen Buddhists do. Early days, yes, but let's see what's coming soon.

This is for All reading,

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 am
Kaya wrote:
Negative. We both agree that the right (lucky) people are not likely to have been studied, at the right time(s).
Not true.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 am

Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 am
desert_woodworker wrote:
Kaya wrote:
Not true.
Granted. Not exactly "lucky". Causes and conditions influence who will or may awaken, at what time, during practice. I call it "luck", just to be colloquial about it.

--Joe

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am

lindama wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 am
desert_woodworker wrote:
My claim is that there are no dreams for such a person, given a genuine awakening. That is all. Classical Ch'an and Zen Buddhist literature also support this. I am also talking about personal experience.
agree Joe. I've also heard Tibetan lamas say the same
Thanks, Linda. Goes with the territ'ry, if it's the real thing.

Just one confirmatory sign, we might say, among many, though. No biggie. The biggie is the whole packet. Original Human inheritance.

But even that is only a "biggie" when viewed with the obscured-"mind" of samsara. Else, otherwise, it's only natural, of course.

--Joe

Crystal

Re: Dreams

Post by Crystal » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 am

I think I mentioned somewhere previously that I don't dream - and that's all I want to say about it, other than although I've been a long term Vajrayana practitioner I've never tried practising "Dream Yoga".

Arguing about whether I've actually forgotten about the dreams or not, or looking for scientific explanations would be pointless, as would thinking that I've somehow achieved realisation!

It is as it is....and advice to myself = Let go, let go, life goes on....

_/|\_

Kaya

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 am
Kaya wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 am
desert_woodworker wrote:
Kaya wrote:
Not true.
Granted. Not exactly "lucky". Causes and conditions influence who will or may awaken, at what time, during practice. I call it "luck", just to be colloquial about it.

--Joe
Not true as in I do not agree.

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Few pics from today's Cube of Truth, in Haarlem.
By the group Anonymous for the Voiceless. Great group of people working for the liberation of sentient beings
:namaste:
DSCN7419.JPG
DSCN7419.JPG (6.69 MiB) Viewed 1193 times

:111:

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Beach walk today with mom, funny moment afterwards in the restaurant,
mom looked outside through the window and said "funny hey how it's not really there, yet we see it"
I responded, yes like (your) "mind" for a moment her mind almost completely stopped, but after years of expedient "Buddhist" talks in nature this was the first time something hit her deeply beyond her intellect, and my 'explaining' about 'seeing things as they are instead of how me imagen them to be' got digested. Bright days and spontaneous laughter ahead. :111:
1.JPG
1.JPG (6.46 MiB) Viewed 1153 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:11 pm

At the Observatory this morning in the desert, sky clearing soon after sunrise following a light snow on the mountain (altitude 2100 meters).

--Joe

kpno_snow.jpg
at Kitt Peak National Observatory -- Arizona, USA
kpno_snow.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
kpno_snow_south_pre-sunrise.jpg
a view before sunrise...
kpno_snow_south_pre-sunrise.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:16 am

It was a wonderful snowstorm, and how rare, in this otherwise warm desert. --Joe

p.s. Creosote bush, Palm tree, and Sonoran Desert Saguaro Cactus, show snow accumulation, or are at least visible here despite the snow.

desert_snow_day.JPG
desert_snow_day.JPG (301.7 KiB) Viewed 991 times