poems

Members' own poetry, paintings, crafts, songs, musical compositions, etc.
Great Sage EofH

poems

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 am

Beyond the mountains, are more mountains
but the mountain nobody told that to
is Three Finger Jack
sitting there like Mt. Sumeru
just pointing

It means nothing,
mountains beyond mountains,
unless the one you're climbing
feels like its gotta be the last, and that
uneasy feeling, creeping in, that it's only the first

And anyway, what's he pointing to?
The Tao that can be named?
Maybe he can point, but he can't make a mark
And if he shows you the way
Its like it goes on forever

Somewhere up on Obsidian Trail
sunlight shining on a field of glass stones
7000 feet or higher
blinding the hiker
while threatening to cut open foot after foot

Yet a faded memory of what was once clear
Now inhabits a region filled with echoes and longings
To remember one courses through five skandhas
Cutting through obstructions
Just to get to the point

Worlds come and go
As does family
And other people
And practices
And their people

Jobs come and go
Where to live
Who you know
What’s happening
It’s all uncertain

Who one is
Who anyone is
All subject to change
A friend one day,
Turns their back the next

So it goes
Live one day at a time
"Sufficient into the day is the evil thereof"
Soon enough we'll all be gone
Even this mountain.

Following a trail south
knowing this time
is simply what it is
walking up a mountain
one foot at a time.
Last edited by Great Sage EofH on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

KeithA

Re: poems

Post by KeithA » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Had to google "three finger Jack". Love it! I would love to hike that area. :)
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:29 pm

LOL LOL LOL
thnx 4 that lol Sun...
gotta find a good poem 4 u 2... lol, what a laugh, thnx
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:44 am

KeithA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Had to google "three finger Jack". Love it! I would love to hike that area. :)
My cousin says he wants to set up a practice center in the NW, he goes to Viet temple in Wichita Kansas

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Three-Fingered Jack

Three-fingered Jack’ was the popular name of a man who escaped Jamaican slavery some time before 1780, became a leader of a group of maroons, and was captured and killed. His story can be traced in the Jamaican Royal Gazette. It was introduced to the British public through a section of a book by Dr Benjamin Moseley, A Treatise on Sugar, published in 1799, which describes Jack’s use of ‘obi’ to maintain his power. Moseley’s account of Three-Fingered Jack inspired the very successful stage pantomime Obi, or Three Finger’d Jack, which first played at the London Haymarket Theatre in 1800. Two novels based on the story were published that same year, and the story was then told and retold through further pantomimes, theatrical productions, chap books, juvenile literature, novels and other cultural productions. Jack’s use of obeah formed a significant element in most of these retellings.

In 1980 Three-Fingered Jack’s story was staged in Jamaica in that year’s Jamaica National Pantomime production, Mansong, which retold the story with Mansong/Jack as a freedom fighter. The actor Charles Hyatt played the central role of Dada.

This page presents a few images related to Three-Fingered Jack, highlighting the range of ways in which the story was represented and entered into popular consciousness.
Three Finger’d Jack Playing Card
Three Finger'd Jack, playing card, cardboard, 6 x 9.5 cm, dated 1750-1800, The New-York Historical Society Museum and Library. Image courtesy of The New-York Historical Society Museum and Library http://www.nyhistory.org/

Three Finger’d Jack, playing card, cardboard, 6 x 9.5 cm, dated 1750-1800, The New-York Historical Society Museum and Library. Image courtesy of The New-York Historical Society Museum and Library http://www.nyhistory.org/

This playing card forms part of the collections of The New-York Historical Society Museum and Library. This card might have originally been one of a pack of cards representing different pantomime characters from 1801-1808. An auction catalogue of items from the Collection of the Late Charlotte Schreiber, including Political, Educational and Fanciful cards of Italy, England, Germany, France and Other Countries, by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge on 1 May 1896 lists a ‘Fanciful Pack. Transformation of Playing Cards, some of the illustrations represent characters from The pantomimes, &c. of 1801-8 — Mother Goose, Three Fingered Jack, &c.’ Jack is represented wearing a feathered turban, suggesting a blurring of ideas about the exotic.
‘Mr. Wood as Three Fingered Jack’
Mr. Wood as Three Fingered Jack. Nineteenth Century etching, published by E. Skelt. Image reproduced courtesy of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Image © Victoria and Albert Museum, London. http://collections.vam.ac.uk/

Mr. Wood as Three Fingered Jack. Nineteenth Century etching, published by E. Skelt. Image reproduced courtesy of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Image © Victoria and Albert Museum, London. http://collections.vam.ac.uk/

This hand-coloured etching is a portrait of ‘Mr. Wood as Three Fingered Jack.’ Mr Wood was probably the actor Joseph Wood, who was depicted in several other roles. It was produced in London and published in the mid-nineteenth century by E. Skelt. It forms part of the Victoria and Albert Museum’s Harry Beard Collection. The Museum of London owns a similar image, dated to 1850-1872. ‘Juvenile theatres’ were small theatres for young people – popular during nineteenth century Britain, which could be cut out from sheets of paper – Skelt was one of the main producers of these theatres sheets and so this etching may be related somehow to a cut-out juvenile theatre. One of the common Juvenile theatres was a version of the popular pantomime Three-Fingered Jack.

Robert Louis Stevenson reflected on his childhood love of juvenile theatre by recalling Skelt and also ‘Three Fingered Jack’. In his 1884 ‘A Penny Plain and Twopence Coloured’ published in his 1895 Memories and Portraits, he reflected:

‘These words will be familiar to all students of Skelt’s Juvenile Drama. … I have, at different times, possessed Aladdin, The Red Rover, The Blind Boy, The Old Oak Chest, The Wood Daemon, Jack Sheppard, The Miller and his Men, … and Three – Fingered Jack, the Terror of Jamaica.’

Jamaica National Heritage Trust Roadside Marker
Jack Mansong or Three Finger Jack Roadside Marker, Jamaica National Trust Commission, St. Thomas, Jamaica

Jack Mansong or Three Finger Jack Roadside Marker, Jamaica National Trust Commission, St. Thomas, Jamaica

In 1978 the Jamaica National Trust Commission, later replaced by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust, placed a heritage sign at the side of the road that leads east from Kingston to the parish of St. Thomas. Near the village of Bull Bay, the sign is easy to miss, but remains present today, accompanied by a sign advertising a restaurant and beer garden, ‘Jack’s Place’. The sign was placed during a period when Jamaica was establishing a series of National Heroes. Although Jack was not considered as a candidate to be a National Hero, he was considered sufficiently important to warrant this sign, which explains that he ‘fought, often singlehandedly, a war of terror against the English soldiers and planters who held the slave colony.’

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Jack Dunlop
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ack Dunlop, also known as John Dunlop, Jess Dunlop, John Patterson, and most commonly Three Fingered Jack (c.1872 – February 24, 1900) was an outlaw in the closing days of the Old West, best known for being a train robber. Whether he had just three fingers on one of his hands is not confirmed.

Dunlop was born in Texas and spent most of his mid to late teens as a cowboy. Where he became an outlaw is unknown, but he was arrested after several bank robberies in 1893. Released from prison in 1895, Dunlop joined the "Black Jack" Christian Gang, but by 1898 he was riding with Burt Alvord's Gang, along with George and Louis Owens, Billy Stiles, Bravo Juan Yoas, and Bob Brown. The gang began robbing trains in Arizona, and "Three Fingered Jack" Dunlop quickly became the best known. At midnight on September 9, 1899, the gang robbed a Southern Pacific Express of just over $10,000. The gang had detached the car containing the money, then opened the safe with dynamite. They escaped into the Chiricahua Mountains, where they eluded a posse led by Sheriff Scott White and including George Scarborough.

A few months later, they struck again. On February 15, 1900, the gang robbed a train at the Fairbank, which served Tombstone, Arizona. However, well known lawman Jeff Davis Milton was working as a guard on the train. A gunfight began, resulting in Milton shooting buckshot into Dunlop, and wounding gang member Juan Yoas. Milton was badly wounded in the right arm, but the gang fled anyway.

Dunlop's wound was serious, as he had been hit by eleven pellets from the shotgun, mostly in the stomach area, whereas Yoas had been shot in the butt. The five outlaws soon split up, planning to meet outside of Contention City, Arizona. Dunlop fell from his horse only a few miles from the robbery, and he lay there for fourteen hours before a posse found him. He was taken to Tombstone, where he gave an interview to Tombstone newspaper The Prospector before dying on February 24, 1900.

Dunlop is buried near the graves of Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury, and Billy Clanton, in Tombstone's Boot Hill cemetery.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Fascinating stories, Eric! Thanks!

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

bokki

Post by bokki » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 pm

o, jack dunlop!!! Ill have to reread this... what stories! yes!..Sun!
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 pm

a poem for a dead Christmas tree.
christmas tree.jpg
christmas tree.jpg (220.32 KiB) Viewed 657 times

bokki

Post by bokki » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 pm

lol, dan..
and then choped down...lol
2 mark a carpenters sons
birth
LOL!!
lol, dan, lol
lol,, a dead christmas tree
lol
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:24 pm

hey bokki!
We could move all your posts to this thread!!
lol

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm

I enjoyed that poem Dan, very creative thanks.

I just don't get the carpenter's son's reference.
Jesus was a carpenter right but a carpenter's son's birth, I read that as God being the carpenter instead of Jesus lol
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 pm

fuki wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Jesus was a carpenter right but a carpenter's son's birth, I read that as God being the carpenter instead of Jesus lol
In the Gospels, Joseph's occupation is mentioned only once. The Gospel of Matthew[13:55] asks about Jesus:
Is not this the carpenter's son (ho tou tektōnos huios)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Jos ... ional_life

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

SUN! thank u very very much...
u know?
a friend in a need is a friend indeed...
thnk u sun
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:23 pm

yes, dan, plz b free to do all u like with my posts, y not? move them here...or there...lol, dan!
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 pm
fuki wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm

In the Gospels, Joseph's occupation is mentioned only once. The Gospel of Matthew[13:55] asks about Jesus:
Is not this the carpenter's son (ho tou tektōnos huios)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Jos ... ional_life
Ah the son of Joseph ofcourse missed that one, thanks.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

the son of joseph willl never.. never..miss anything
just a smalll say..!
u know?
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

bokki

Post by bokki » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:43 pm

for Sun, Eric..
and all

i tried to translate this one again..
i dont think its a very good job.. but here it is..
no, not mine..
vasko popa

Vasko Popa
Homage to the lame wolf.

Go back to your lair
Disgraced lame wolf
And sleep there
Until the barks freeze
And curses rust and torches die
Of the overall hunt
And until all fall
Empty-handed into them selfs
And bite off their toungs in pain
And the mighty dogheads with a knife
Behind their ear
And the hunters with their dicks on their shoulders
And the hunting dragon wolfeaters.

On all four I crawl in front of you
And howl in your glory
Just as in those great
Green days of yours,
And I beg you my old lame God
Go back to your lair.

thnx, all
b
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Awesome bokki ! Thanks

Sorry it took me so long to get back to Zen Space, what with all these surgeries, cancers, people dying. It was something I told myself I'd stay on top of, because I need this group for my own sanity, but other people had other plans. Finally getting some time to myself - it all started on January 1, and it's already June !!

Sitting here
on the spot,
going no where,
thinking nothing.
Life and death
share the same meaning,
which i don't get,
nor can i
yet.
Try not to die laughing!

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:22 pm

When I get up in the morning
She is gone.
But the teapot is still warm.

The traffic noise outside
Drowns out the birds.
But the house itself, is silent.

I sip slowly, warmth filling
The emptiness inside.
I look at the news.

Deep down I hear a muffled scream
I drowned out with whiskey last night.
Or is it indigestion?

[…]

from some time back, kinda never finished it, but just found it now looking for something else.