Baking at home: Wholemeal Rye Bread (Workshop)

Members' own poetry, paintings, crafts, songs, musical compositions, etc.
Dan74
Site Admin

Re: Baking at home: Wholemeal Rye Bread (Workshop)

Post by Dan74 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but not quite sure I can manage it (still a pretty hectic schedule with the studies here)..

I've only ever baked with a bread machine, doing my own mixes. The family are not huge fans of sourdough (I love it), so it would have to be mild...

Maybe a mix of yeast and sourdough, or is this anathema?? I am willing to try this recipe from goodfood... and might be able to find another one from a friend..

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Fri May 18, 2018 7:36 pm

I use a bread machine (yard sale; $4.00). I told my mate that it felt like cheating; she replied that if I didn't care for "cheating", perhaps the next time I did laundry I should carry it all down to the lake and beat it on a rock.
Her Zen's often a bit deeper than mine.

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Good point, Emmet (or rather Emmet's friend)! But I must say, the idea of a hand-kneaded dough appeals, though I am not 100% certain I could tell the difference in the taste of the end product. I used a bread machine for years, which I still feel is better than buying a ready-made thing - I could mix my flours, add whole grains, molasses, etc. Yet to progress to 'the real thing', but I would like to.

littletsu

Post by littletsu » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 am

I had the luck to have some flatmates before that used to make bread with sourdough. At some point we even ordered 60 kgs of different types of flour from a good mill. I have been wanting to do the culture for myself, too...it's just so much better to eat this type of bread and once the culture is up
and running it doesn't really require too much attention. Old family bakeries sometimes have sourdough that has been going for hundreds of years.