Soto HQ

A place to ask a Zen teacher. Experimental forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

Great Sage EofH

Soto HQ

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 pm

I understand that Soto in Japan grants various honorary titles to scholars and possibly artists. If so how can this be arranged? Travel to Japan and hire a translator? I don’t see myself living in a monastery for multiple years. I’ve been a working artist and poet and Zen student since 1970, but I can’t give up working in art and writing. My degree is in Art and Design.
--- Eric H., also know as Sun Wu Kong, "an authentic genuine human being"
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

jundocohen

Re: Soto HQ

Post by jundocohen » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:07 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 pm
I understand that Soto in Japan grants various honorary titles to scholars and possibly artists. If so how can this be arranged? Travel to Japan and hire a translator? I don’t see myself living in a monastery for multiple years. I’ve been a working artist and poet and Zen student since 1970, but I can’t give up working in art and writing. My degree is in Art and Design.
Hi,

I have never heard of this, and certainly not an honorary title that one requests for oneself. Perhaps there is something that I am missing in your question?

Gassho, Jundo
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 am

It’s going to take me a minute to find, my computer crashed and I only have my phone. Then there’s elGatitos question which I’m stuck on. It was on a .jp domain
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Wikipedia

Zen ranks and hierarchy

In Soto there’s at least 3 paths to follow, maybe 4

Becoming an osho, that of becoming a shike , or that of thru university in Buddhist studies. Then there’s the special category for foreigners, which is a bit ambiguous. In Europe, for example, they apply for a governing body to oversee transmission. It’s supposed to be equivalent to 10 years of living, working, studying with a dharma teacher and ten more years to mature. It was immediately obvious no foreign organization upholds the Japanese’s standards. It’s also mentioned that this status has undergone change historically in Soto. Soto does not consider attainment or enlightenment to be a consideration of a prospective candidate, but rather lengthy one on one training with a teacher. The interesting thing about the Buddhist Studies university path is that it’s a bit like earning a degree. It’s not clear that this status is more or less. In Rinzai the scholar monk is the superior and more demanding path
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

Meido

Post by Meido » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:34 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm
In Soto there’s at least 3 paths to follow, maybe 4

Becoming an osho, that of becoming a shike , or that of thru university in Buddhist studies. Then there’s the special category for foreigners, which is a bit ambiguous. In Europe, for example, they apply for a governing body to oversee transmission. It’s supposed to be equivalent to 10 years of living, working, studying with a dharma teacher and ten more years to mature. It was immediately obvious no foreign organization upholds the Japanese’s standards. It’s also mentioned that this status has undergone change historically in Soto. Soto does not consider attainment or enlightenment to be a consideration of a prospective candidate, but rather lengthy one on one training with a teacher. The interesting thing about the Buddhist Studies university path is that it’s a bit like earning a degree. It’s not clear that this status is more or less. In Rinzai the scholar monk is the superior and more demanding path
I won't speak for the Soto side, SWK, but I'm a bit confused and not sure how this all relates to your original question. All of the ranks and levels on that Wiki page, both Soto and Rinzai, apply to ordained people.

RE Rinzai Zen, I'm also not sure what you mean by saying "the scholar monk is the superior and more demanding path." The only path considered superior in Rinzai Zen is the primary and most demanding one: to awaken to one's nature, and then to continue to practice intensively for one's whole life under the "hammer and tongs" of one's teacher. There is no requirement for being a scholar. If scholarly activity suits an individual, great. But being a "scholar monk" is not required even to be the shike (training master, Roshi) of a monastery (though naturally in Japan such folks, aside from having spent many years in the monastery, will have been well educated).

There are btw some inaccuracies and inconsistencies in that Wiki article.

Could you explain a bit more what you're looking for here?

~ Meido
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:42 am

Hehe, good question. No, I was mostly curious about how college credits transfer into Soto recognition, and what I’ve uncovered is that it’s conferred through Soto Universities and their HQ.
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:42 am
Hehe, good question. No, I was mostly curious about how college credits transfer into Soto recognition, and what I’ve uncovered is that it’s conferred through Soto Universities and their HQ.
In theory such an institution can grant honorary degrees, but those aren't Initiated from the recipients side of things. What happened was I had another web page I was reading from before my hard drive froze up. My memory of it was a bit fuzzy. Maybe I was imagining things or possibly dreaming it, who knows?
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

Meido

Post by Meido » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:59 am

Got it.

Yes, I think inquiring with Komazawa U. about those things would be the best bet!

~ Meido
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org