Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

Great Sage EofH

Re: Mindfulness Meditation

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 am

fuki wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:10 am
SunWuKong wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:46 am
I'm asking if you vote LIKE or DISLIKE to Mindfulness Meditation; see the quotes Jundo supplied, they are very descriptive
I then do not vote if you don't mind, I dont lock up practise in a mental picture as in yes or no, like or dislike.
And thanks for the description, yes ofcourse I'm familiar with that practise, as in vipassana.
Gotcha

Both Vipassana and Samatha are labeled Mindfulness, they are from the Satipatanna Sutta, and the Anapanasati Sutta respectively.

In addition, Yoga Nidra is also used; I'm specifically skeptical of torpid or sleepy states coupled with guided meditation, how can you tell its not hypnosis? Okay i admit it, i'm skeptical of guided meditation (talk through) entirely
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

lobster

Post by lobster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 am
In addition, Yoga Nidra is also used; I'm specifically skeptical of torpid or sleepy states coupled with guided meditation, how can you tell its not hypnosis? Okay i admit it, i'm skeptical of guided meditation (talk through) entirely
It is often hypnosis. :107:

People go in and out of light trance all the time. Many are entranced by their own monkey mind :114:
3, 2, 1 and wide awake
may not always work as an enlightened suggestion :116:

but then not making use of hypnosis for healing, relaxation, practice focus, behavour modification, giving up dukkha based suggestions for more skilled being etc. is a waste of a useful potential ... meanwhile here is a non skeptical flowering :115:

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm

fuki wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 pm
KeithA wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:58 pm
I think there would be some well-reasoned objections, but for sure, I wouldn't do that outside of the Zen forum! lol! :116:
One of the things I appreciate from the Kwan Um days is understanding the function of speech, of that which appears, for instance someone says "all is one" (or a variation on it) there will always pop up ppl who will from a philosophical standpoint say "thats not what the Buddha taught" or something similair. But what is the function of the speech which ofcourse depend on a specific situation and circumstance? I really appreciate learning that way back from SS
We are all in this together, even when it's seems as though we aren't. :110:
Amen. :)
Correct function. Correct direction. :hatsoff:

During introduction at our center, I suggest to newcomers that all forms of meditation have at their core a very simple technique: notice a lack attention, return to a state of attention. What makes the various types of meditation different is their direction. So, the direction of a mindfulness seminar for a business group will obviously have a different direction than practice at the local Zen center. That's why the harumphing of our fellow Buddhists over different forms of mindfulness practice strikes me as a little self-important.

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:20 pm

KeithA wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Correct function. Correct direction. :hatsoff:

During introduction at our center, I suggest to newcomers that all forms of meditation have at their core a very simple technique: notice a lack attention, return to a state of attention. What makes the various types of meditation different is their direction. So, the direction of a mindfulness seminar for a business group will obviously have a different direction than practice at the local Zen center. That's why the harumphing of our fellow Buddhists over different forms of mindfulness practice strikes me as a little self-important.

_/|\_
Excellent, excellent.
thank you

:namaste:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 am

6 vote yes, 1 no, 1 abstain

Dhammawheel 6 voted yes.

Dharmawheel, interested in discussing the topic as opposed to voting positive or negative responses
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam