Seeking Buddha, Non-Seeking Buddha

fuki

Re: Seeking Buddha, Non-Seeking Buddha

Post by fuki » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm

20180206_140823.jpg
20180206_140823.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 258 times
Damn I asked kitty which book to read today and she picked the shobo one, ah well a promise is a promise guess this will be my book of the week now. One good thing about it is I'll have no problem falling asleep tonight.

:cat:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

michaeljc

Post by michaeljc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 am

Dogen is actually not that hard to fathom when you see what he was on about.
Ha!

m

bokki

Post by bokki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:16 pm

fuki, that is most interesting! LOL!
the setting.. a samsung lap, a bonsai, a water filled coce bottle , a box of delivery food.. a pair of what..??
and then kitty...
first, bucke, wadell, Huang Po,.?.. nisargadata, gg mumonkan.. lol.. so nice!
bwt, shobogenzo has 3000 pages..
kitty may have seen u read it last night..
nice koan dreams, lol
but..

it is soo nice!
do the cats seek?
b
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 pm

fuki wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Damn I asked kitty which book to read today and she picked the shobo one, ah well a promise is a promise guess this will be my book of the week now. One good thing about it is I'll have no problem falling asleep tonight.

Awwwh.... such a pretty kitty, fuki!

bokki

Post by bokki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 pm

hi, Crystal, fuki,..all
just another 1 bout this kitty..
now, i think its a beautiful kitty,..
but nice..no!
look at that look in her eyes, ears up, leg slightly tight, back arched up a bit, the hair on it raised..
that kitty would eat up fuki like a mouse..
thats y fuki is going to read zuimonki or whatever kitty says..
LOL
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

bokki wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:16 pm
fuki, that is most interesting! LOL!
the setting.. a samsung lap, a bonsai, a water filled coce bottle , a box of delivery food.. a pair of what..??
and then kitty...
first, bucke, wadell, Huang Po,.?.. nisargadata, gg mumonkan.. lol.. so nice!
There is also “Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe” just squeaking into the picture ... Dhamma everywhere!

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Crystal wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Awwwh.... such a pretty kitty, fuki!
Thank you Crystal, her name is muivertje and her sisters name is fukasetsu (fuki) and thanks for saying that on her behalf, everyday she hears songs about how pretty and sweet she is, all cats thrive on that! lol

Bokki she's actually out of at least hundreds cats I've known the 2nd most non-violent and hard to vexate cat I know, the photo is just a frozen moment take some selfies of yourself and see how a camera can show a "look" which isnt really there, actually her sister is the "violent" one due to past trauma and hard to handle if your not me, most ppl here are scared shit of fuki lol apart from those with "inner peace" she immediately feels it and drops her guard.

a pair of darts btw and a box containing cat food.
do the cats seek?
muiviekrst-1.jpg
muiviekrst-1.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Nice question bokki, this is her as a kitten.
Does an ice cube search for water?
in the same way she doesnt seek to roar, in time she will roar (miauw) just like het mother, naked illuminated without effort or room for imitation. ;)

she does seek things though like food and stuff to play with, but never whats already in her nature.
that functions spontaneously without contrivance :D

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:53 pm

[james] wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

There is also “Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe” just squeaking into the picture ... Dhamma everywhere!
Good eye!

bokki

Post by bokki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 pm

is mr hockey behind kittys tail? i never heard that name b4..
well, i was wrong fuki, .. but that cat has got some skills!..lol
what a sweet pic of her as a baby!
may i ask, really, its strange..
does she have 6 fingers on front paws? sry, of topic..

but bout this seeking..well, im late, but who cares..wont forget, tho
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks bokki, just the regular 18 toes/fingers
5 on each front and 4 on each hind paw.

the mr hockey book is on the far right.
21535264.jpg
21535264.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 146 times

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Incidentally, “Dhamma Everywhere” by Sayadaw U Tejaniya has relevance to the thread topic ... seeking/non-seeking.

http://ashintejaniya.org/books-dhamma-everywhere

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Fruitzilla wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm
Ah, the old days! I do remember you getting into fights with him.
For me, I can mostly remember the shock I felt at meeting the "professional" buddhists over there and deciding that that was definitely not where I wanted to go.
And I didn't. I aggravated some injuries sitting Zazen, took Alexander Technique lessons to deal with them, decided to train as a teacher, then stumbled into what Buddhism talks about a few years later.
Fruit, I forgot to ask before seeing you're from/located in Utrecht are you familiar with geenzen.nl (no zen) and Ron Sinnige?

According to shady statistics there are 350 dutchy teachers and although I've only met a few it's a needle in a haystack to find a qualified one. Especially for "non-seekers" :lol: So if you've ever practised there I'd appreciate to hear about it.

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

[james] wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 pm
Incidentally, “Dhamma Everywhere” by Sayadaw U Tejaniya has relevance to the thread topic ... seeking/non-seeking.

Thanks added to the library.

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm

[james] wrote:

Might you explain the relevance to Zen Practice and Zazen? It is not so clear.

Gassho, Jundo
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org

Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm

fuki wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm
Fruitzilla wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm
Ah, the old days! I do remember you getting into fights with him.
For me, I can mostly remember the shock I felt at meeting the "professional" buddhists over there and deciding that that was definitely not where I wanted to go.
And I didn't. I aggravated some injuries sitting Zazen, took Alexander Technique lessons to deal with them, decided to train as a teacher, then stumbled into what Buddhism talks about a few years later.
Fruit, I forgot to ask before seeing you're from/located in Utrecht are you familiar with geenzen.nl (no zen) and Ron Sinnige?

According to shady statistics there are 350 dutchy teachers and although I've only met a few it's a needle in a haystack to find a qualified one. Especially for "non-seekers" :lol: So if you've ever practised there I'd appreciate to hear about it.
His name sounds familiar, but never knew he had a thing here. I did check out Zentrum and Zen onder de Dom here and didn't like them enough to keep going. In the case of Zen onder de Dom, it was mostly because of a character flaw of mine.
I did find a group of the OBC here, which I did like and frequented that for a few years ( I quit Zen stuff in 2008 for equally strange pastures , except for one Brad Warner retreat here that is ). So sorry, I can't help you with Ron. I did see the group meets on Tuesday evenings, but I rarely have time then. :114:

I did recently go back to the OBC group btw, and will go again. But as to teachers, I think I may be ruined.. :shock:

Edit: a word

Did you ever find someone you liked here in our chilly frogland?

[james]

Post by [james] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm

jundocohen wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm
[james] wrote:

Gassho, Jundo
I found it relevant. You might not. It’s up to each of us to take a look, maybe a read, and perhaps a close consideration. I try to maintain a view that everything is relevant to Zen practice. When I first read “Dhamma Everywhere” I felt that the suggestions and pointers given were kind and generous and was comfortable in taking them to heart.

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 am

[james] wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm
jundocohen wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm
[james] wrote:

Gassho, Jundo
I found it relevant. You might not. It’s up to each of us to take a look, maybe a read, and perhaps a close consideration. I try to maintain a view that everything is relevant to Zen practice. When I first read “Dhamma Everywhere” I felt that the suggestions and pointers given were kind and generous and was comfortable in taking them to heart.
Thank you. I will read it.

It is just that Vipassana scanning meditation (if he is a "dry vipassana" fellow as is now common in Burmese Buddhism) in order to realize the impermanence of the self and attain Nibbana is very different in flavor from most Mahayana and Zen ways of "going not going" about it.

Gassho, J
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 am

Fruitzilla wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm

His name sounds familiar, but never knew he had a thing here. I did check out Zentrum and Zen onder de Dom here and didn't like them enough to keep going. In the case of Zen onder de Dom, it was mostly because of a character flaw of mine.
I did find a group of the OBC here, which I did like and frequented that for a few years ( I quit Zen stuff in 2008 for equally strange pastures , except for one Brad Warner retreat here that is ). So sorry, I can't help you with Ron. I did see the group meets on Tuesday evenings, but I rarely have time then. :114:

I did recently go back to the OBC group btw, and will go again. But as to teachers, I think I may be ruined.. :shock:

Edit: a word

Did you ever find someone you liked here in our chilly frogland?
Thanks fruity!

No not yet, I liked all teachers but no long term established relationship, I even went to the Maitreya institute in Amsterdam much to the "objection" of our woodworker due to fear of mixing traditions but to me it was more for the conditions of the Sangha instead of the teacher or the tradition/philosophy. To me the method or non-method taught doesnt really matter its all "Zen" to me I used to have a muslim neighbour we sometimes practised together I have no problem being "humble in the presence of Allah" and bowing ;)

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I am all for mixing and matching Practices if one wishes and it is helpful, or even whole religions (folks can get up from Zazen and head to church) ...

... so long as folks truly know how to sit each day Shikantaza, the Practice of radical "nothing more needed, no other thing to do or place to go, no hole left unfilled" during the time of sitting.

Some folks run from Practice to Practice, guru to guru, Dharma book to dharma book completely missing the art of sitting and being with not need for anything else. In such case, they are just running running running, not knowing true resting resting resting.

But if someone can truly sit for a time in the Wholeness and Fulfillment of Shikantaza, then they can get up from the cushion and do many things, such as watch a baseball game or football, pet the cat or dance a jig, go to church or to a yoga class, eat a sandwich or a bowl of soup, practice vipassana or pray to Jesus or Amida.

Unfortunately we human beings do not know how truly to sit still, most spiritual seekers do not truly know how to put down the seeking for a time.

Gassho, J

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks Jundo, I wouldnt say perse not knowing "how" to truly sit, but more lacking the motivation and determination which is logical since that comes with the mind of seeking or the mind of desire to attain or get rid of anything. So then we tend to seek out expedient methods for the sake of experience or getting something, or even the idea of a good feeling or being a "good buddhist" or whatever loophole of our own narrative we get stuck in.

Practise is everyday life though for me, the "nothing to seek" is not broken even in the midst of seeking.