Shido Bunan's Kind Words

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
Meido

Shido Bunan's Kind Words

Post by Meido » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Elsewhere I recently posted a few quotes from Shido Bunan Zenji (1603-1676), a master whose teachings I greatly appreciate. He was a student of Gudo Toshoku, and gave his full seal of confirmation (inka shomei) to only one student, Dokyo Etan...who would go on to become Hakuin Ekaku's teacher.

Shido is interesting for a variety of reasons. One of these is that he ordained quite late in life, around age 52 or 53 if I recall correctly. He spent many years before that deeply practicing in the midst of daily activity while running his family's inn. He was extremely strict with himself, but also well acquainted with and realistic about his own weaknesses.

The following two quotes are very kind, revealing the heart of Zen stripped bare. Anyone who understands Zen practice will be able to immediately grasp their experiential import.

Any discussion to be had about these words?

There is no special teaching for the study of Zen. All that is needed is to see it directly, hear it directly. In direct seeing there is no seeing. In direct hearing there is no hearing. This is possible when you naturally become one piece, with no "inside" or "outside."
---
Even though our school takes satori as its root, one should not think that he can rest after satori is gained. The Way must be exhausted through practice [shugyo] in nyoho. "Nyoho" means to know the Original Mind as it is. Practice means to annihilate karma with wisdom gained by satori. To have satori is rather easy, but to apply it in daily life is most difficult. Therefore Bodhidharma said, "Those who know the Way are many, those who practice it are few." What is necessary is to wield the sword of the Vajra King, and to kill yourself with zeal. When your body is dead, you will attain, naturally and without fail, the Great Emancipation, the Great Freedom."
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

[Note: not reachable by PM. To get in touch please email through the website above.]

Crystal

Re: Shido Bunan's Kind Words

Post by Crystal » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 pm

There is no special teaching for the study of Zen. All that is needed is to see it directly, hear it directly. In direct seeing there is no seeing. In direct hearing there is no hearing. This is possible when you naturally become one piece, with no "inside" or "outside."
Thank you very much for posting these precious words from Shido Bunan Zenji, Meido.

When reading the above quote, I was reminded of the following words from the Buddha in the Pali Canon which were spoken to someone who asked for his teachings :
"Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .irel.html
_/|\_

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 pm

While living
Be a dead man,
Be thoroughly dead -
And behave as you like,
And all's well.
~Bunan 
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Meido

Post by Meido » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Crystal wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 pm
When reading the above quote, I was reminded of the following words from the Buddha in the Pali Canon which were spoken to someone who asked for his teachings :
Nice, Crystal...thanks for posting that.
fuki wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 pm
While living
Be a dead man,
Be thoroughly dead -
And behave as you like,
And all's well.
Yes, it's another famous quote. But many people misunderstand (that is, interpret according to their own understanding) these lines. Particularly, what is meant by "be thoroughly dead" and "behave as you like". He also said,

"Kill. Kill. Kill your body. And when it has totally perished, you are nothing but nothingness itself. And then you may teach others."

(Of course this is easy to misunderstand also :P )

~ Meido
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

[Note: not reachable by PM. To get in touch please email through the website above.]

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Oh I wasn't aware there was any room for interpretation, Meido. :cat:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 am

Meido,
Meido wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 pm
But many people misunderstand (that is, interpret according to their own understanding) these lines. Particularly, what is meant by "be thoroughly dead" and "behave as you like".
In "behave as you like", I'm reminded of St. Augustine's comment on verses in 1 John 4: 4-12: "Love God and do what you will."

My (Buddhist-practice based... ) interpretation of Augustine, there, is that, when one dwells simply in, or as, One Mind, or No Mind, one's behavior will not deviate from what is appropriate; one will not break any Precept; and one will not want to, nor be tempted to behave differently from what one has appropriately done. In other words, it's not a matter of volition after all.

So, I equate (there) the Christian notion of truly loving God as dwelling in One or No Mind, in which (or by which!) one's actions are simultaneously and spontaneously informed by true Wisdom, and carried out by true Compassion. Now, the Pope and the Dalai Lama both might take me to task on this, but this is one practitioner's current view.

Thanks for Shido Bunan's words.

--Joe

boda

Post by boda » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 am

Meido wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 pm
I recall thinking during meditation today that there was too much inside and not enough outside, putting no inside or outside aside for the moment, but it was good to feel more outside.
Even though our school takes satori as its root, one should not think that he can rest after satori is gained. The Way must be exhausted through practice [shugyo] in nyoho. "Nyoho" means to know the Original Mind as it is. Practice means to annihilate karma with wisdom gained by satori. To have satori is rather easy, but to apply it in daily life is most difficult. Therefore Bodhidharma said, "Those who know the Way are many, those who practice it are few." What is necessary is to wield the sword of the Vajra King, and to kill yourself with zeal. When your body is dead, you will attain, naturally and without fail, the Great Emancipation, the Great Freedom."
Gate, Gate, Paragate, Para Sam gate Bodhi svaha, comes to mind.