Back into the Sangha?

SunWuKong

Back into the Sangha?

Post by SunWuKong » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 am

So, it’s interesting, I was trying to find alternative sangha. This was because of my work schedule. But, as it turns out, the job is ending, so I can return to the same sangha. But I did explore some other places, the Harada Yatsutani inspired zendo, the Soto Zen group, and Insight Meditation Society of Washington outreach at the Unitarian Universalist Church. I explored all the forums here online, it’s been illuminating ~ more interesting than I expected. I now realize I had quite a few assumptions that needed challenging, which they were. Or are. The adventure continues. For one thing I was unaware of other Thein traditions. Another thing, these explorations open up unique possibilities, so I expect it to continue. Not that I’m planning on mixing and matching traditions? But there’s something to be said about sharing knowledge across traditions that’s gratifying. The sangha I’ll try to rejoin is one of Thich Nhat Hanhs original Mindfulness Practice Centers, this on in Fairfax, Virginia.
--- Eric H., also know as Sun Wu Kong, "an authentic genuine human being"
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

Dan74
Site Admin

Re: Back into the Sangha?

Post by Dan74 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Let us know how it goes, SunWuKong.

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Well wishes Eric like Dan said let us know.

ps picking a Sangha is easy, pick the first one who has a cat. :cat:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Good luck!

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:56 am

I've been informally searching around, tried one of Thich Nhat Hanh Still Water groups in Columbia MD. They are nice folks, meeting there in a yoga studio, though the session didn't have the bite I found in a couple other zen centers I've visited on travel. There are a couple smaller zen groups closer into Baltimore that I'll get to trying sooner or later.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 am

narhwal90 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:56 am
I've been informally searching around, tried one of Thich Nhat Hanh Still Water groups in Columbia MD. They are nice folks, meeting there in a yoga studio, though the session didn't have the bite I found in a couple other zen centers I've visited on travel. There are a couple smaller zen groups closer into Baltimore that I'll get to trying sooner or later.
Oh cool- yeah I liked the Ka Shin Zendo in Takoma Park MD. The DC area has a number of important teachers, I hope you find a good group near B-more
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 am
narhwal90 wrote:
Oh cool- yeah I liked the Ka Shin Zendo in Takoma Park MD. The DC area has a number of important teachers, I hope you find a good group near B-more
The way TNH groups work, take refuge & start helping the sangha grow. Then get into leadership. They don’t really talk to much about what’s going on. People assume it’s easy going, but other people in the know say it’s just very broad minded. That’s all I know
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 am
SunWuKong wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 am
narhwal90 wrote:
The way TNH groups work, take refuge & start helping the sangha grow. Then get into leadership. They don’t really talk to much about what’s going on. People assume it’s easy going, but other people in the know say it’s just very broad minded. That’s all I know
Hehe yeah one other point, it’s partially like a Southeast Asia
Forest Tradition, I’d say reasearch that s but too for orientation
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 am

It is possible that coming from a Nichiren tradition I am accustomed to drama. I find I respond to the formal zendo scene (be it fancy or not), with a sharp and practiced sangha not reluctant to talk shop. I am in no way critical of the Still Water folks, they had all cushions filled with long-timers of various ages, in the discussion after I started talking sutras and schools with a couple folks and their eyes crossed. Another I visited out west I blew it on the kinhin & they corrected me right there, for the tea service after the conversation ranged all over the place- the latter is the kind of action I'm after.