Rinzai? Soto? Both? Neither?

clyde

Re: Rinzai? Soto? Both? Neither?

Post by clyde » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 am

Great Sage; Thank you again for adding more information about TNH and MBSR and IMS.

I think “the teaching is specific that mindfulness is to brought into all the activities” is a common teaching in all Buddhist traditions, at least that’s been my experience. (I belong to a non-sectarian Buddhist sangha, so we have visiting teachers from all Buddhist traditions.)

Your post and this thread confirms what seems obvious, even from the history of Buddhism and Zen - location matters. We easily talk about Chinese Ch’an, Japanese Zen, Korean Seon, etc. It seems that where one is located (e.g. - Australia, a European country, east or west coast of the U.S.) will influence the flavor of Buddhism and Zen one is exposed to and familiar with.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 am

The Vietnamese monks who immolated themselves in the 1960s... were they not Thien monks? --Joe

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 am
The Vietnamese monks who immolated themselves in the 1960s... were they not Thien monks? --Joe
I don't believe that Lineages are ever so simple in Vietnam, and it might be better just to say that they were Mahayana monks.

Gassho, J
Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha, an online practice place for folks who cannot commute to a Zen Center due to health, living in remote areas, work or family needs. The focus is Shikantaza 'Just Sitting' Zazen http://www.treeleaf.org

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 am

jundocohen wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 am
desert_woodworker wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 am
I don't believe that Lineages are ever so simple in Vietnam, and it might be better just to say that they were Mahayana monks.
"Yeah, no"; I just don't know the answer, Jundo.

Maybe the sanghas of those immolated monks do not want to own up to them as having been members. But their robes looked Zen-/Thien-like, is what I remember. And, as to those who appeared in photographs at the time, I think they ended their lives in this way well away from any monastery or temple grounds, but were rather out in the open.

thanks,

--Joe

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 am
Maybe the sanghas of those immolated monks do not want to own up to them as having been members. But their robes looked Zen-/Thien-like, is what I remember....
Far from not wanting “to own up to them as having been members” their sanghas regard them as heros. TNH has written about the noble self sacrifice of these monks against religious oppression. They are regarded as spirtual heros by many, if not all, Buddhists in Vietnam and the diaspora.

Meido

Post by Meido » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm

A post over at DW has some interesting info regarding Vietnamese Zen lineages. Not sure how accurate, but certainly some info I hadn't known, particularly RE Caodong lineage there:

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 65#p457512
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 am

C.,
Caodemarte wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm
desert_woodworker wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 am
Maybe the sanghas of those immolated monks do not want to own up to them as having been members. But their robes looked Zen-/Thien-like, is what I remember....
Far from not wanting “to own up to them as having been members” their sanghas regard them as heros. TNH has written about the noble self sacrifice of these monks against religious oppression. They are regarded as spirtual heros by many, if not all, Buddhists in Vietnam and the diaspora.
Thank you, that's new information to me, after all these years. Much appreciated!!
_/\_ ,

--Joe