Great Sage EofH

Re: Mindfulness Meditation

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:46 pm
GS EofH,
Great Sage EofH wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:22 am
The OP was addressed to Dharmawheel, Dhammawheel, and Zen1Space, just to get an idea who has done something described as "Mindfulness" - overwhelmingly Dhammawheel, the Theravada forum.
I see, yes, OK, thanks.

But anyway, speaking to our crowd here, please don't let any of us count out the Visuddhimagga! Choose your translation, and enjoy a 1000-page book. :)

--Joe
Funny you should mention the Visuddhimagga. My professor friend assigned to me Sarah Shaw's Introduction to Buddhist Meditation (a college survey text) and that's what i got up to. She is from England and in the Samatha Society so it's interesting to get a close look at the Sri Lanka schools' meditation texts without the Burmese interpretation thats all the rage here in the USA. She is unabashed in admitting that Theravadans will defer to the Visuddhimagga over the Pali Canon, contrary to what they so often claim. Well nobody is perfect i guess. I've only read bits and pieces of it, but her over-view of it helps break it down. Anyway i'm looking forward to getting deeper into the Shaw book in regards to Mahayana, Varjrayana, and Pure Land practices.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam