As with all Buddhist reform movements over the centuries, Modern Buddhism represents itself as a return to the teachings

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
Great Sage EofH

As with all Buddhist reform movements over the centuries, Modern Buddhism represents itself as a return to the teachings

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Interesting article:

https://tricycle.org/magazine/modern-bu ... -familiar/

I have a number of thoughts about this, but I open it up for discussion if anyone is interested. If there's no interest, let the thread die.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

narhwal90

Re: As with all Buddhist reform movements over the centuries, Modern Buddhism represents itself as a return to the teach

Post by narhwal90 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:35 pm

I drove by the Won Dharma center in eastern NY last summer;

https://tricycle.org/magazine/the-grace-in-this-world/

essentially, another modern movement this one dating from the early 1900's, I wonder if that makes it post-modern buddhism? lol but it seems a reasonable form for those attracted to it. They have a few dharma centers- google just showed me one nearby I'll go visit- its nice to discover the local dharma community.

Kanji

Re: As with all Buddhist reform movements over the centuries, Modern Buddhism represents itself as a return to the teach

Post by Kanji » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 am

Both these articles have a lot of food for thought. Will ponder a while. I enjoyed David Loy's 'the world is made of stories' a lot, very post mod! :117:

clyde
Site Admin

Post by clyde » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you. I was vaguely familiar with their names and books mentioned in the article, so this put some threads of Buddhist history, at least from the mid-1800s to pre-War War 2, together for me.

Buddhism has continued to evolve from post-War War 2 to today. It would be interesting to know how the history of Buddhism will be seen and understood 100 years from now.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am

Great article by Mr Lopez, it pulls together the tapestry of modern Buddhism better than any other history I've so far come across, with all its conflicts and cultural differences.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Kanji wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am
Great article by Mr Lopez, it pulls together the tapestry of modern Buddhism better than any other history I've so far come across, with all its conflicts and cultural differences.
His textbook on History of Buddhism is good too

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 am

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 pm
Kanji wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Concise-History- ... KAGKMERBZT

lindama

Post by lindama » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:38 am

oh no! forgive me for saying.... run as fast as you can. this is material for the professors, it is droppings to me. don't waste your prescious time.

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 am

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 am
Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 pm
Kanji wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Concise-History- ... KAGKMERBZT
Just ordered it :bow2:

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:57 am

lindama wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:38 am
oh no! forgive me for saying.... run as fast as you can. this is material for the professors, it is droppings to me. don't waste your prescious time.
Do know what you mean Linda, there's a great difference between reading about the history of Buddhism, as seen by academics, and practicing it, I am a history nut however, and have a serious book fetish! I'm working on it :556:

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Kanji wrote: book fetish

:D :) :D
cooper

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Forgive me not not at some point cutting to the chase on this. The Westernization of Buddhism usually takes the form of teachers from the East (and West) who promote it as such. This is largely responsible for the so-called Vipassana Movement, Insight movement, and Mindfulness movements.; the tendency to devolve everything into a form of personal Pop psychology. It's as if the goal were to sell more books about how we can heal ourselves. Buddha, Sangha, and Dharma get pushed into the background. I'm already suffering from these things being diluted, so why would I not want undiluted input?

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

lindama wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:38 am
Actually I am working with a professor from University of Texas to create a bibliography of History of Buddhist Meditation. What we know today is that there are many "Buddhisms" and meditation plays a different role often. In fact, there are many "Zens," and again, differences in practices not to confuse one with another. Scholarship places some checks and balances on autocratic teachings. I'm very wary of authoritarian Buddhism lately.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Have you got an example of the "autocratic teachings" and "authoritarian Buddhism" that has made you wary?

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Larry wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:28 pm
Have you got an example of the "autocratic teachings" and "authoritarian Buddhism" that has made you wary?
Yes I do. But first, I'm waiting out the odd dynamic that's going on here now. I'm not sure if it's just me or if it's something in the new membership guidelines. I'll get back to you later.

[james]

Post by [james] » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 pm

???

Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 pm
Larry wrote:
Yes I do. But first, I'm waiting out the odd dynamic that's going on here now. I'm not sure if it's just me or if it's something in the new membership guidelines. I'll get back to you later.
"odd dynamic"

"new membership guidelines"

Please say more about that. Thank you.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:10 am

Spike wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 pm
Great Sage EofH wrote:
Larry wrote:
"odd dynamic"

I don't see any good coming out of continuing this. Sorry I troubled you.

:waving:

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 am

:106:
Enver M. wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:57 pm
Kanji wrote: book fetish

:D :)

I know! I love books and make them in my art practice, the history of books is catnip to me! :cat:

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:27 am

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:10 am
Spike wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 pm
Great Sage EofH wrote:
Larry wrote:
"odd dynamic"

I don't see any good coming out of continuing this. Sorry I troubled you.

:waving:
You haven't troubled me, at all :115: