Right View

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
clyde
Site Admin

Right View

Post by clyde » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am

So, one thing leads to another . . .

The other night, I was reading the Magga-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Path and this stopped me:
"And what, monks, is right view? Knowledge with regard to stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the stopping of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the stopping of stress: This, monks, is called right view.”

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
I’m certain I’ve read this before, perhaps many times, but this time it stopped my questions about views or rather answered them in an odd way. The “right view”, according to the Buddha, is the view that leads to the end of suffering. So, the question is not one of truth; but of efficacy, what works, what leads us to the end of our suffering.

And it seems that different views work for different people.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

Great Sage EofH

Re: Right View

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 am

another translation that leaves the Pali technical language intact:

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samy ... 5-008.html

Clyde thats a plausible interpretation, and I've been taught that's why throughout the Sutras there are different explanations for the same topics, because he is addressing different people
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm

clyde wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am
So, one thing leads to another . . .
knowledge with regard to the stopping of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the stopping of stress: This, monks, is called right view.”
"Personally" after 20 years I'm currently more and more 'convinced' that it's about attachment to stress and the 'knowledge' that arising stress is void (of own being) on the level of consciousness there will always be "stress", ofcourse lots of "stress" is self-made, unneccesarry and spawned from ignorance/delusion, but I know as long as this vehicle is supported there will be moments of arising stress, in fact (for me) the idea that it something to be avoided, stopped or "liberated" is the very prolonger of stress, in fact it's very equals liberation. When the mind does not abide in anything we're free, in the midst of whatever arises, neither bound or liberated.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Only seeing what is, truth, will finally end dukkha. Just chasing self-delusions will not, including the delusion that my opinions are the only path.

bukowski

Post by bukowski » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:53 pm

So basically the 4 nobel truths but replacing suffering with stress. It makes complete sense to think that the right view is the four noble truths, to me. I agree that their can many different aspects to the establishment of right view, which must surely start from our individual current view.

Nice topic.

Metta, b :namaste:

Spike

Post by Spike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:38 pm

fuki wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm
there will always be "stress", ofcourse . . .
At a clinical level? No. Not for all.
fuki wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm
lots of "stress" is self-made, unneccesarry and spawned from ignorance/delusion . . .
At a clinical level, stress may be treated successfully with therapy. Talk therapy can address existential angst, etc.

avisitor

Post by avisitor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Unpopular view, my own, ... :114:
That undertaking Buddhist practice and learning about the four noble truths
And the path which leads out of suffering
Right view
Right intention
Right speech
Right action
Right livelihood
Right effort
Right mindfulness
Right concentration
Are all to unify this life to be in step with the truth of nature

It is not impossible for someone to experience Kensho and not have all things lined up accordingly
The person not living according to the right life (scandals, etc.)
Wisdom and compassion are short lived in such person(s) unless they change

Aligning one to the right life (view, intention, speech, action, etc.) will bring one's life to be in step with Buddhist practice
And, when conditions are right, experience Kensho, satori, nirvana, etc.
And the life lived will have been one of wisdom and compassion
Some may not have the experience to see their true nature in this life time.
Doesn't negate the life they lived
Karma follows.

What is right view?
On the internet, there are many definitions.
The one I choose .. is the right view flows from one's understanding of one's true nature
It comes from the wisdom and compassion that comes with right mindfulness and right concentration and right intention and right etc.
Yes, it is sort of circular. Right view and all the rest help to bring a person to be aligned to see their true nature and thus relieve suffering.
But, it is also the seeing of one's true nature that one has right view, intention, etc.
This is what I choose to believe.