Slowing Down the Mind Train by Jeff Shore

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
Nothing

Slowing Down the Mind Train by Jeff Shore

Post by Nothing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 am

In this talk, Jeff Shore will speak on 'Slowing down the mind-train': how Buddhism and Zen actually does this, and why it, in itself, is not enough.

loves' the unjust

Re: Slowing Down the Mind Train by Jeff Shore

Post by loves' the unjust » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks to Jeff
The war in my mind is getting to an end.

Other than this I have a few words to say;
I believe that a person born with his rights,
He then just to live to make them true.

best wishes everyone,
cooper

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Carry;

no complaint
no bother
no concern

not even a smallest problem
in the head
cooper

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Just practice correctly, and the false 'mind' will "slow". Better, "die". REALLY slow. ;-)

The true mind can/will then open its single wing and not be impeded by false appendages intervening.

Not that there's a true mind.

There's no mind, while one is awake.

While one is not, or no longer awake, there is illusion.

As I see it,

--Joe

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:14 am

i am registering for the Jan. 3-8 Philadelphia area retreat with Jeff. if anybody here is going PM me. I will send you the registration email address if it is not up on https://beingwithoutself.org/retreats/( this is an advance notice) and I will buy you a cup of coffee in sunny Philly.

Retreat at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Spirituality Center – January 3-8, 2020

Friends,

We are pleased to announce an intensive Zen retreat with Jeff Shore at the Immaculate Heart
of Mary Spirituality Center (IHMSC) near Philadelphia PA, USA, January 3-8 2020. The six-day
retreat will begin at noon on Friday, January 3 and end by 1:00 PM on Wednesday, January 8.
Check-in will be from 10:00am-11:30 am on the 3rd.
All participants are expected to attend the entire retreat from noon on Jan 3 rd to 1:00pm Jan
8th. If you may be unable to do so, please inform Jeff when you register. There will be a
gathering at a local restaurant after the retreat; all interested participants are welcome.

Retreats are rigorous. Extensive periods of seated meditation (zazen) are interspersed with
walking meditation (kinhin), Dharma Talks, one-on-one encounters, meals, assigned tasks and
rest periods. Other than one-on-one, Dharma Talks, and the recital of the Bodhisattva Vows,
we maintain silence. Attendance at all zazen periods from 5:30am to 10:00 pm is expected
Participants are also encouraged to sit into the night, health permitting. All retreat activities
are meant to spur practice. They are intended to clarify matters and resolve doubts. Retreat is
not for psychological counseling or to discuss views and concepts; it is a precious opportunity to
get to the very bottom of yourself with another. This is the original spirit of Zen Buddhist
practice.

Please understand that you are responsible for your own safety and well-being during this
retreat. Answers to frequently asked questions may be found on the Being Without Self
website at: https://beingwithoutself.us2.list-manag ... e2b70120b4 . The website also contains information
about Jeff.

This is a non-profit event. Participants pay for the cost of room and board. The cost is $440. If
you would like to spend the evening of Jan 2nd at the retreat center the cost is $500. Only
single rooms are available. Meals and bed linen are included. Limited vegetarian options are
available at every meal. There are also refrigerators available for participants with more
specific food requirements to bring their own food.

A Dana bowl will be placed at the Zendo entrance; you are encouraged to help cover Jeff's
expenses (he is coming from his home in Kyoto) through your generous donations. Jeff is here
for you. Since checks are difficult to cash in Japan please plan to offer your donation in cash.

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:57 pm

I know is early, but have a good retreat Cao.

In near future I might attend a retreat in Philly.