The Zen of Everything

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
Crystal

The Zen of Everything

Post by Crystal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:23 pm

While browsing the internet I found this new website: "The Zen of Everything - A zen take on life, love, laughter, and everything else", with Jundo Cohen and Kirk McElhearn.

I thought I'd post a link here for the benefit of anyone who might be interested in checking it out.

https://www.zen-of-everything.com/

_/|\_

Spike

Re: The Zen of Everything

Post by Spike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 am

Crystal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:23 pm

While browsing the internet I found this new website: "The Zen of Everything - A zen take on life, love, laughter, and everything else", with Jundo Cohen and Kirk McElhearn.

I thought I'd post a link here for the benefit of anyone who might be interested in checking it out.

https://www.zen-of-everything.com/

_/|\_
Listened to e11 re. dokusan. My god, what a complete, total, 100% bunch of ignorant, disrespectful crap! I say that as a Rinzai student who has gratefully participated with several teachers in the joint dokusan endeavor.

[james]

Post by [james] » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:21 am

Spike wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 am
My god, what a complete, total, 100% bunch of ignorant, disrespectful crap!
Is that your opinion?
I wasn’t planning on listening. Now, I probably won't.

lindama

Post by lindama » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 am

well, relax folks. Jundo never claimed to be a Rinzai Master. Was there any doubt?

So far, I have listened to #1, sounds good for some perhaps. Jundo says that he is a cat person (ha, good, good) .... until he says that a cat's nature is to hunt which he calls "un-zen" (ha, bad, bad) haha. Whoops............... run for the hills to save your life. BUT, stay and listen to Jundo's relationship to his life and his health .... nothing is lost. There is also gold in his words. He opens minds too. Who knows the Buddha was a "he". ha, a small storm.

I'd say from what I know of Soto, Rinzai, Diamond Sangha (forget the technical name) ..... #11 is worth listening to.... don't be fooled by others. He cried when his cat died... "you will know the difference."

Kudos, Jundo.... you've escaped our opinions..... ".... learning to play the music of the universe".

linda

Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:07 pm

lindama wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 am
well, relax folks. Jundo never claimed to be a Rinzai Master. Was there any doubt?
Haha! True dat.
lindama wrote:
. . . stay and listen to Jundo's relationship to his life and his health .... nothing is lost.
I got my cancer diagnosis almost the exact same time, and published it. Offered my support and understanding. Crickets only, everywhere. So: atta dipa . . ., which is always the way.

Nothing lost? Not by me either, although, honestly, I probably wouldn't notice anymore.
lindama wrote:
He cried when his cat died...
Of course it's alway good to hear someone's personal humanity reinforced. People are still people, worthy of consideration and compassion, as we all here know.
lindama wrote:
Kudos, Jundo.... you've escaped our opinions..... ".... learning to play the music of the universe".

linda

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 pm

I listened to that podcast and as is often the case, Jundo says very little that hasn't been said before but tries to wrap it in an iconoclastic package. He admitted himself that he had overstated it. Dokusan is not baloney. It can be if the teacher is poor or the student holds on tightly to all sorts of fantasies. But it can also be very important. The same thing can be said with practically every aspect of Zen practice. So what does he say that is new or actually controversial?

The underlying theme of Jundo's that I do take exception to is his constant underplaying of the kensho. Without kensho, many people give up practice after years, admitting that they had no idea what they were doing and wasted a lot of their time. Why just sit if one can just clean the house, just help the neighbour in the garden, just read a story to the kids? There is always so much to do, at least in my life. Dogen himself arguably taught that shikantaza only makes sense after the awakening. It is not a Soto vs Rinzai thing, it seems to me, but more of a Jundo thing. No one argues for fetishizing kensho or that kensho is the end, at least not in Japanese Zen that I know of. Kensho is just the beginning.

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 pm

I know you don't like him and threw him out of this forum, Dan, but I like Jundo Cohen. I'm also very glad he seems to be recovering well from cancer, because I think he went through a lot of suffering and was extremely ill at one stage.

I remember once seeing a video somewhere of him and his wife and kids and their cat, just getting on with their daily life at home and it was very sweet. He also used to sit with the cat on his knee in some of his teaching videos, so I can sympathise with him feeling upset when the cat died. (I'm a cat fan myself, in case you haven't guessed by now!).

:558: _/|\_

Spike

Post by Spike » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:26 am

Crystal wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 pm
I know you don't like him and threw him out of this forum, Dan, but I like Jundo Cohen. I'm also very glad he seems to be recovering well from cancer, because I think he went through a lot of suffering and was extremely ill at one stage.

I remember once seeing a video somewhere of him and his wife and kids and their cat, just getting on with their daily life at home and it was very sweet. He also used to sit with the cat on his knee in some of his teaching videos, so I can sympathise with him feeling upset when the cat died. (I'm a cat fan myself, in case you haven't guessed by now!).

:558: _/|\_
There is not a single thing in Dan74's comment that is personal about Jundo Cohen, indicating that Dan74 does not like him.

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 am

"Threw him out of the forum" isnt right but he did get banned, yes, after a lot of discussions with him and other parties. But probably best not to revisit that.

As for Jundo himself, like all of us humans, he is a mixed bag. I haven't seen the family video that you referred to, but I believe he provides his online sangha to many people for free and this by itself speaks very highly of Jundo, the man.

What I wrote above was just my honest opinion of that podcast. No more, no less.

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:39 am

Spike wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:26 am

There is not a single thing in Dan74's comment that is personal about Jundo Cohen, indicating that Dan74 does not like him.
I didn't say there was, plus there isn't anything in my own previous post to indicate that I don't like sage and onion stuffing .

Be well and happy. :)

clyde
Site Admin

Post by clyde » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Off topic posts split and moved to Lounge.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 am

well, i listened 2 "dokusan is baloney"
i mean, half of it. that's my opinion on his opinions.
i understand that he thinks Ta Hui is just another monk, Xu Yun was a fake, and Hakuin was hallucinating.
i reserve my right to think the opposite.
and, no, dokusan is not baloney.
im sorry, Jundo.
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:06 pm

well, I listened to the whole episode 12, one is the one.
look, i love Jundo, and he is showing his spirit.
in plain, everyday words.
im pleasantly surprised.
tho, i wish he was here 2, just 2 bicker about some detail, or listen to him deriding someone.
oops, i said one again, hmm.
ok, ill repeat my stupidity.
someone.
one.
lol, generally, it's an inspiring, cool, and fun post.
thnx, crystal.
thnx, jundo.
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:32 pm

bokki wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 am
i understand that he thinks Ta Hui is just another monk, Xu Yun was a fake, and Hakuin was hallucinating.
I have not heard the podcast, but if he really thinks that, then I think the conditions are ripe for Jundo to stop teaching finally so the students do not waste their time in vain anymore and move on :D

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 pm

heya, Nothing, how are you, hope you are good, nice to see you posting.
well, those are just my opinions, i would rather you having yours, and the podcast are fun, i dont agree with a lot, but do agree with a lot, too.
anyway, as you say, no problem in moving on. im hard to convince, but did listen. if you do, i only hope you allow yourself your own opinion, i would not advise as a teaching, but, since I'm a zen addict, it was fun to hear the 11 and 12 podcasts. well,11 was not worth much..but, hey, those are just my baloney, about some podcast.

hey, Victore, soo nice u still here and post. drago mi je, brate.
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:13 pm

bokki wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 pm
heya, Nothing, how are you, hope you are good, nice to see you posting.
well, those are just my opinions, i would rather you having yours, and the podcast are fun, i dont agree with a lot, but do agree with a lot, too.
anyway, as you say, no problem in moving on. im hard to convince, but did listen. if you do, i only hope you allow yourself your own opinion, i would not advise as a teaching, but, since I'm a zen addict, it was fun to hear the 11 and 12 podcasts. well,11 was not worth much..but, hey, those are just my baloney, about some podcast.

hey, Victore, soo nice u still here and post. drago mi je, brate.
Hey Bokki

I can not comment further since have not listened the podcast (nor I intend to), just said what I think in case Jundo said that, especially when it comes ( if it comes ) from someone who is an outsider to Chan and Rinzai Zen practice :)

Bokki, nice to see you back too, see you around, fala brate :hatsoff:

bokki

Post by bokki » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:24 pm

just to set it right, that was not said
Ta Hui is just another monk, Xu Yun was a fake, and Hakuin was hallucinating.
that is just my opinion about his thoughts and may be way off the mark.
he did not say it.
im sorry for any misunderstanding.
i really agree, let's move on.
thnx, nothing.
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Bokki