KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
User avatar
loves' the unjust
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Ankara, turkey

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by loves' the unjust » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:45 pm

my philosophy comes from the bar
and my zen knowledge from the movies
hope the expectancy is not high for me.
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

User avatar
loves' the unjust
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Ankara, turkey

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by loves' the unjust » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:58 pm

loves' the unjust wrote: All's about one single thought!
It is not important what is what,
for a student
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

User avatar
Larry
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm

loves' the unjust wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm
I think gentleness is the main point we should look for.
Sometimes gentleness, sometimes a bit of Spikey Grandmotherly Kindness. Although I’m sure he doesn’t wear the costume :D

User avatar
loves' the unjust
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Ankara, turkey

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by loves' the unjust » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Larry wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm
loves' the unjust wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm
I think gentleness is the main point we should look for.
Sometimes gentleness, sometimes a bit of Spikey Grandmotherly Kindness. Although I’m sure he doesn’t wear the costume :D
:hatsoff: :waving: does gentleness and frustration go together?
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

User avatar
loves' the unjust
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Ankara, turkey

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by loves' the unjust » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:33 pm

as life goes in differrent form of coctails
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

User avatar
Spike
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Spike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:38 pm

loves' the unjust wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm
Larry wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm
loves' the unjust wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm
I think gentleness is the main point we should look for.
Sometimes gentleness, sometimes a bit of Spikey Grandmotherly Kindness. Although I’m sure he doesn’t wear the costume :D
Hey! It's not a costume! :lol:
Last edited by Spike on Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Larry
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 pm

:lol:

User avatar
Larry
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:45 pm

loves' the unjust wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm
does gentleness and frustration go together?
Only in Zen Space :lol:

User avatar
Larry
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Spike wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:38 pm
loves' the unjust wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm
Larry wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm
loves' the unjust wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm
I think gentleness is the main point we should look for.
Sometimes gentleness, sometimes a bit of Spikey Grandmotherly Kindness. Although I’m sure he doesn’t wear the costume :D
Hey! It's not a costume! :lol:
Who said that? :lol:

User avatar
loves' the unjust
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Ankara, turkey

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by loves' the unjust » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Larry wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:45 pm
loves' the unjust wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm
does gentleness and frustration go together?
Only in Zen Space :lol:
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

User avatar
Spike
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Spike » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:28 pm

Larry wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Who said that? :lol:
:mrgreen:

User avatar
Great Sage EofH
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Dogen is very clear about "dropping away of body and mind" and "no thought means no thought" - about "samadhi", "satori", "kensho" he is less vocal and this is due perhaps to the overly-intellectual climate of other Zen and other Buddhism. Maybe still have the same problem with "what to say" that Dogen had. On the zafu, everything drops away and there is nothing but awareness being aware of itself. A prelude to that is aware of everything all around you, but its all equanimous same-ness. A prelude to THAT is simply calm and quiet. And who cares, it's just different layers of the same onion. Doesn't really matter which layer of the onion one is at, just enjoy the onion. Shikantaza is always fine. It still the same gateless gate. Off the cushion is different - yet the same. "gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha." Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond, O what an awakening, all-hail ! (edward conze) From my limited experience, that's my best thoughts about Kensho.
“Know from the rivers in clefts and in crevices: those in small channels flow noisily, the great flow silent. Whatever’s not full makes noise. Whatever is full is quiet.” - Gautama Buddha, Nālakasutta

User avatar
loves' the unjust
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Ankara, turkey

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by loves' the unjust » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:26 pm

May be shikantaza is the language of zen
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

User avatar
Spike
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Spike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:14 pm

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm
Dogen is very clear about "dropping away of body and mind" and "no thought means no thought" - about "samadhi", "satori", "kensho" he is less vocal and this is due perhaps to the overly-intellectual climate of other Zen and other Buddhism.
Except Rinzai:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=682

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm
. . . Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond, O what an awakening, all-hail ! (edward conze) From my limited experience, that's my best thoughts about Kensho.
:)

User avatar
Great Sage EofH
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:36 pm

Spike wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:14 pm
Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm
Dogen is very clear about "dropping away of body and mind" and "no thought means no thought" - about "samadhi", "satori", "kensho" he is less vocal and this is due perhaps to the overly-intellectual climate of other Zen and other Buddhism.
Except Rinzai:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=682

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm
. . . Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond, O what an awakening, all-hail ! (edward conze) From my limited experience, that's my best thoughts about Kensho.
:)
Nice! Thanks Spike I missed that story while I was away. I have heard "discussion groups" working on koans - in a purely intellectual manner within the Rinzai community. Which does not resonate with me. This example (your story) I think better reflects the original style of practice, which is living with the teacher, who gets to actually know you, and the koan being a deeper invocation of one's dedication, that gets to awakening. Still, where I'm coming from, it's pretty much a luxury beyond my means.
“Know from the rivers in clefts and in crevices: those in small channels flow noisily, the great flow silent. Whatever’s not full makes noise. Whatever is full is quiet.” - Gautama Buddha, Nālakasutta

User avatar
Spike
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Spike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 am

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:36 pm
Still, where I'm coming from, it's pretty much a luxury beyond my means.
Korinji has sesshin in April and May. By means if you mean $, I'm sure scholarships are available. By any other means, with a teacher like Meido, you couldn't ask for a better opportunity.

seigan
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by seigan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:33 am

Spike wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Re: The Zen of Everything

Post by Dan74 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:49 pm
. . . Kensho is just the beginning.
This 1000x!

The whole universe imploding in an instant is still insufficient. You have to go deep frequently and revisit the experience. You have to start to cultivate effortless action in the world. Awakening is endless.

User avatar
Larry
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Larry » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am

seigan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:33 am
You have to go deep frequently and revisit the experience.
Yes, until you move in and live there.

As you suggest, 1000x Just This!

User avatar
[james]
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:19 am
Location: Are we there yet?

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by [james] » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:46 pm

Larry wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am
As you suggest, 1000x Just This!
Perhaps I misunderstand you. Why 1000x?

User avatar
Spike
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 am

Re: KENSHO. Your experience, your thoughts..?

Post by Spike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:37 pm

To deepen and actualize.

Post Reply