Equanimity

Discussion of Zen Buddhism.
bokki

Re: Equanimity

Post by bokki » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:25 pm

I wonder what Hakuin had to say about equanimity? Google?
just for info, i did not mean anything.
u said u have not heard.
anyway, i suppose Hakuin was equanimous, lol, a tough word.
sell some equanimous sweets to hakuin or dogen, but, keep the price down low.
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

[james]

Post by [james] » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:55 pm

bokki wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:25 pm
just for info, i did not mean anything.
u said u have not heard.
Relax Dhamma brother, that was a leg tug.
I like you a lot bokki ... ever since you showed up on these zen pages.

lindama

Post by lindama » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:18 pm

ah, Bokki... it wouldn't be any fun if you weren't who you are. as I see it, there is benefit in shaking things up too. I often wonder for whose benefit you ask your questions. Things are not always as they appear. Shiva and Shakti, silence and dynamic, dance together. The Tibetans might say crazy wisdom.

I'm with James, I like you and what you bring a lot.

linda
bokki wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:51 am
Linda,
:115:
i wish i had some wisdom to talk gently, powerfully, to the point and beyond, in an unassuming but forceful way.
like you.
im happy to understand all u say.
:bow2:
:namaste:

clyde
Site Admin

Post by clyde » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Off-topic posts moved to “Not Equanimity” in the Lounge.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:53 pm

KeithA wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:54 pm
Hi all,

Dan mentioned the Simlle of the Saw in another thread, and I would think that the subject of equanimity is deserving of it's own thread:

From the Theravada tradition we have this story:
The Parable of the Saw
"Monks, even if bandits were to savagely sever you, limb by limb, with a double-handled saw, even then, whoever of you harbors ill will at heart would not be upholding my Teaching. Monks, even in such a situation you should train yourselves thus: 'Neither shall our minds be affected by this, nor for this matter shall we give vent to evil words, but we shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and we shall not give in to hatred. On the contrary, we shall live projecting thoughts of universal love to those very persons, making them as well as the whole world the object of our thoughts of universal love — thoughts that have grown great, exalted and measureless. We shall dwell radiating these thoughts which are void of hostility and ill will.' It is in this way, monks, that you should train yourselves.

"Monks, if you should keep this instruction on the Parable of the Saw constantly in mind, do you see any mode of speech, subtle or gross, that you could not endure?"

"No, Lord."

"Therefore, monks, you should keep this instruction on the Parable of the Saw constantly in mind. That will conduce to your well-being and happiness for long indeed."

That is what the Blessed One said. Delighted, those monks acclaimed the Teaching of the Blessed One.
From here: Kakacupama Sutta

In my own tradition, we have question 3 of Ko Bongs Three Gates, which feels similar to me:
Seventh Gate: Ko Bong's Three Gates
1. The sun in the sky shines everywhere. Why does a cloud obscure it?

2. Everyone has a shadow following them. How can you not step on your shadow?

3. The whole universe is on fire. Through what kind of samadhi can you escape being burned?

Commentary: The sun, the moon, the stars, the mountains and waters - everything is complete. One mind appears, big mistake. One mind disappears, then seeing and hearing become the truth. Don't make anything. Just see, just hear, just do it.
From here: Seung Sahns Twelve Gates

How do these stories inform your practice?

_/|\_
Keith
All received, weeks (Light-years) before reading this, thanks brother. for the meeting, Jai!
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html