We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So, let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me
[Repeat with ad-libs until the end]

Please send meta and compassion to the braves souls that are not afraid to tell it like it is.
Is it too late to take our world back? Maybe there are enough people uniting and saying no more! :?: :!:

:100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100:

:115: :115:

Crystal

Re: your favourite words/pointers inspire-thingies

Post by Crystal » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:09 am

The words of the late Thai teacher Ajahn Chah have often been an inspiration to me :.......

“Just try to keep your mind in the present. Whatever arises in the mind, just watch it and let go of it. Don't even wish to be rid of thoughts. Then the mind will return to its natural state. No discriminating between good and bad, hot and cold, fast and slow. No me and no you, no self at all—just what there is. When you walk there is no need to do anything special. Simply walk and see what is there. No need to cling to isolation or seclusion.

Wherever you are, know yourself by being natural and watching. If doubts arise, watch them come and go. It's very simple. Hold on to nothing. It's as though you are walking down a road. Periodically you will run into obstacles. When you meet defilements, just see them and overcome them by letting them go. Don't think about the obstacles you've already passed; don't worry about those you have not yet seen. Stick to the present.

Don't be concerned about the length of the road or the destination. Everything is changing. Whatever you pass, don't cling to it. Eventually the mind will reach its natural balance where practice is automatic. All things will come and go of themselves.”

― Ajahn Chah, A Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Ajahn Chah.

avisitor

Post by avisitor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:01 pm

It was through self observation (some call it being mindfull) that one can see how the mind reacts to stimulus
When fed humor and compliments, a lightness of being come
And when insults and arguments are presented, a tightness and rising of arms comes

Seems to be natural. But, must it always be this way??
If you cut us then do we not bleed??
Does meditation give us a moment between thoughts and reactions?
Can one change the scenario to be played out?
Will this give one the chance to be something other than a thing with automated responses?

There were times of anger that played out in front of me.
Mind retracted back to observe the play.
Words of anger came out.
And then more words played in the head to back those feelings.
Feelings propped up by more words.
Attention feeding the words.

There were also times of love
I remember playing the part of a boy in love
Limited to a role
And the hurt that took over when that love was lost
Watching how the words flooded in to complete the picture of love into anger, frustration and, lost
And attention stuck upon the other person

So, it was in just sitting. Meditation
Watch the words play and the attention follows
When the attention is taken back, the narrative ends
And so, this is how I see those words presented to me so many times, ...

Yes, another story.
Hakuin's "Is that so?"
Probably everyone has heard or read it
So,I wont repeat it here.
Just the title,
"Is That So?"

Those are the words that inspire me to think twice before reacting

p22

Post by p22 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 pm

💞

p22

Post by p22 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am

4AM Amber Alert- Prayer/Metta is instantaneous whenever that alarm blares-

I watched the stars, the sun rise, heard the first birds wake and saw petals fall off poppy and daisy as it began to rain-

michaeljc

Post by michaeljc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am

Mine?

All beings suffer

It will pass

Be kind, every one you meet is in the midst of a mighty battle

Leave no ripples

Try

p22

Post by p22 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 am

on a journey through life
tilling a small field
back and forth

– Basho, 1644-94

Turtle Clan

Post by Turtle Clan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Even a small field
Is immense
When tilling, back and forth.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm

I have been re-reading “The Korean Way of Zen”, translated by Martine Bachelor.
Kusan Sunim (1909-1983)
In Zen meditation, the key factor is to maintain a constant sense of questioning. So, having taken hold of the hwadu (koan) “What is this?,” try to always sustain the questioning: “What is seeing?” “What is hearing” “What is moving these hands and feet?” and so on. Before the initial sense of questioning fades, it is important to give rise to the question again. In this way, the process of questioning can continue uninterrupted with each new question overlapping the previous one. In addition you should try to make this overlapping smooth and regular. But this does not mean that you should just mechanically repeat the question as though it were a mantra. It is useless to just say to yourself day and night, “What is this?” “What is this?”

The key is to sustain the sense of questioning, not the repetition of words. Once this enquiry gets underway, there will be no room for boredom. If the mind remains quiet, the hwadu will not be forgotten, and the sense of questioning will continue unbroken. In this way, awakening will be easy

While meditating, both wisdom and concentration need to be cultivated in unison. If there is wisdom without concentration, then mistaken views will increase. And if there is concentration without wisdom, then ignorance will grow. When inquiring single-pointedly into the hwadu “What is this?” the vividness of the hwadu becomes wisdom, and the cessation of distracted thoughts becomes concentration.
_/|\_
Keith

avisitor

Post by avisitor » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

KeithA wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm
I have been re-reading “The Korean Way of Zen”, translated by Martine Bachelor.
Kusan Sunim (1909-1983)
In Zen meditation, the key factor is to maintain a constant sense of questioning. So, having taken hold of the hwadu (koan) “What is this?,” try to always sustain the questioning: “What is seeing?” “What is hearing” “What is moving these hands and feet?” and so on. Before the initial sense of questioning fades, it is important to give rise to the question again. In this way, the process of questioning can continue uninterrupted with each new question overlapping the previous one. In addition you should try to make this overlapping smooth and regular. But this does not mean that you should just mechanically repeat the question as though it were a mantra. It is useless to just say to yourself day and night, “What is this?” “What is this?”

The key is to sustain the sense of questioning, not the repetition of words. Once this enquiry gets underway, there will be no room for boredom. If the mind remains quiet, the hwadu will not be forgotten, and the sense of questioning will continue unbroken. In this way, awakening will be easy

While meditating, both wisdom and concentration need to be cultivated in unison. If there is wisdom without concentration, then mistaken views will increase. And if there is concentration without wisdom, then ignorance will grow. When inquiring single-pointedly into the hwadu “What is this?” the vividness of the hwadu becomes wisdom, and the cessation of distracted thoughts becomes concentration.
_/|\_
Keith
Have you done Koan practice with a teacher or by yourself?
I have thought about doing it but always thought I needed a teacher to work with a Koan??

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 pm

We are off-topic, so I will be brief.

I have a teacher, but imho, anyone can take up the hwadu “what it is this?” or the like. Having a strong question is just human nature.

Koan practice though, functions like a lock and key. Can’t use one without the other. So, the teacher/student relationship is vital.

_/|\_
Keith

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 am

Bassui’s Talk on One Mind is a wonderful exposition of the direct practice of waking up.

An excerpt:
At work, at rest, never stop trying to realize who it is that hears. Even though your questioning becomes almost unconscious, you won't find the one who hears, and all your efforts will come to naught. Yet sounds can be heard, so question yourself to an even profounder level. At last every vestige of self-awareness will disappear and you will feel like a cloudless sky. Within yourself you will find no "I," nor will you discover anyone who hears. This Mind is like the void, yet it hasn't a single spot that can be called empty. This state is often mistaken for Self-realization. But continue to ask yourself even more intensely, "Now who is it that hears?" If you bore and bore into this question, oblivious to anything else; even this feeling of voidness will vanish and you will be unaware of anything-total darkness will prevail. [Don't stop here, but] keep asking with all your strength, "What is it that hears?" Only when you have completely exhausted the questioning will the question burst; now you will feel like a man come back from the dead. This is true realization. You will see the Buddhas of all the universes face to face and the Patriarchs past and present. Test yourself with this koan: "A monk asked Joshu: 'What is the meaning of Bodhidharma's coming to China?' Joshu replied: 'The oak tree in the garden.' " Should this koan leave you with the slightest doubt, you need to resume questioning, "What is it that hears?"
🙏

Keith