'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' with Jundo & Kirk is ON THE AIR!

Moderator: fuki

fuki

Re: 'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' with Jundo & Kirk is ON THE AIR!

Post by fuki » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:48 pm

Crystal wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm
I honestly dont understand how people can enjoy eating the flesh and blood of other sentient beings. There are so many alternatives available now.

.....but, whatever :103:
:namaste:

From a yogachara perspective it's clear, it's also clear that "awakening" experiences (or insights confused as awakening) does not mean one has uprooted the vasanas, even an arahat has no perception of the storehouse consciousness, and we all have our "blindspots" That being said I do not condemn people for their "personal choices" but also will not condone any behaviour which in my view violates the first precept, I do not mean personally but in the sense if I feel one is advocating against the first precept that is an issue for me. Friends of mine eat meat but if they make a move against a fly or talk about killing a fly in my presence they know what's coming, and I make no excuses for it, it's just my nature.

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:48 am

Episode 30: Rituals

There are a lot of rituals in Zen. Where do they come from? Why are they still performed? And what's the thing about the number 108?
THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/30

Episode 31: The Precepts

There are a number of precepts that have to be followed by Zen practitioners. Jundo and Kirk discuss these precepts, and how strict they are.
THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/31

Gassho, J

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Crystal wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:02 pm
Larry wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:29 pm
Nothing wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:20 pm
Larry wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:54 pm
Maybe for the karmic benefit of the animal :mrgreen:
A better rebirth and in the human realm? :D
:D

Debatable :D
Totally. I honestly dont understand how people can enjoy eating the flesh and blood of other sentient beings. There are so many alternatives available now.

.....but, whatever :103:

Yes, right. :hatsoff:

It results from peer pressure/society, having image about oneself related to eating meat, (especially the males, seeing eating meat as manly thing, makes you stronger, healthier etc.. which is of course based on ignorance, also ignorance related to not knowing where does the meat come from..)
Also the attachment to taste, and when consumed give rise to physical and also emotional gratification ,a conditioned response learned when one was little child and made stronger as one was growing up and as result we have a strong habitual tendency towards the act of eating meat.
If people knew what is going on in the animal industry many will stop eating meat (eventually stop eating animal products altogether) or at least will drastically decrease the meat consumption.
On a side not, from my experience I have seen that women are much more open to the idea to give up meat (and animal products) than men. ;)
“Here it is--right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it.”
― Huang Po

https://beingwithoutself.org/retreats/

Turtle Clan

Post by Turtle Clan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:43 pm

Nothing wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm
..., also ignorance related to not knowing where does the meat come from..)
There is ignorance and then there is willful ignorance. I’ve heard stories of children not knowing where milk and eggs come from, for example, which is entirely possible. It’s hard to imagine or accept that this could be the case for adults.
Nothing wrote:
If people knew what is going on in the animal industry many will stop eating meat (eventually stop eating animal products altogether) or at least will drastically decrease the meat consumption.
One would hope so but I don’t see this happening ... willful ignorance rules, for the most part. Being a Buddhist seems to have less effect than one, I, would expect.

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 pm

Turtle Clan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Nothing wrote:
..., also ignorance related to not knowing where does the meat come from..)
There is ignorance and then there is willful ignorance. I’ve heard stories of children not knowing where milk and eggs come from, for example, which is entirely possible. It’s hard to imagine or accept that this could be the case for adults.
Yes, I should have put it better. I mean of course they know that the animal needs to be killed in order to have meat on their table, but they are not aware of the practices that are common in the animal farming industry that leads to the slaughtering of the animal and the agony, the suffering that the animals are going through , both while they are raised until the moment of killing. And many have never seen that, neither seen the act of killing, so they are distanced from all that is actually happening. Plus you know very well the propaganda of happy animals (cows, pigs, chickens) on the big billboards which distance the consumer even more from the actual reality of the animal farming.
But yes, you are right, even those who know or have seen what is going on, most remain willfully ignorant and justify their meat consumption and succumb to the powerful propaganda of the industry.
Turtle Clan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Nothing wrote:
One would hope so but I don’t see this happening ... willful ignorance rules, for the most part. Being a Buddhist seems to have less effect than one, I, would expect.
Yes, right, it is a very slow process and will be very slow to change, but in the last decade/few years I have seen increased number of vegetarians/vegans worldwide so I guess in this advanced digital age, more and more people are exposed to the increased number of documentaries which expose the animal farming practices , something that was not possible before. But it is a shame that most Buddhists are not less ignorant, than the non - Buddhist folks, and actually vegetarian/vegan buddhists are minority in the total number of vegetarian/vegans worldwide.
“Here it is--right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it.”
― Huang Po

https://beingwithoutself.org/retreats/

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:04 am

Gee, awfully quiet round these parts. Maybe even Fuki doesn't come to Fuki's Place any more. :103: (I hope that all is well).

Episode 32: Happiness

Can zen make you happy? Should it?
THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/32

Episode 33: Competition

Is zen competitive? Is competition a bad thing?
THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/33

Gassho, Jundo

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:42 pm

jundocohen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:04 am
Gee, awfully quiet round these parts. Maybe even Fuki doesn't come to Fuki's Place any more. :103: (I hope that all is well).

Gassho, Jundo
Hi Jundo,

I'm alive and well and hope you and everyone else is too! With virtual hugs and a flower,

Crystal :115:

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:49 pm

:namaste:

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:20 am

But where is Brother Fuki? It is very Zen, but we might change the name to the Non-Fuki Place. :hatsoff:

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:30 am

:lol:

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:12 am

jundocohen wrote:But where is Brother Fuki?
Fuki's last post here was on 22nd of August, hope he's ok - maybe he's too busy editing Guo Gu's talks at the moment.

Stay safe and well.

With lots of good wishes to everyone,

Crystal

fuki

Post by fuki » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:18 pm

jundocohen wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:20 am
But where is Brother Fuki? It is very Zen, but we might change the name to the Non-Fuki Place. :hatsoff:
:lol:
Crystal wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:12 am

Fuki's last post here was on 22nd of August, hope he's ok - maybe he's too busy editing Guo Gu's talks at the moment.

Stay safe and well.

With lots of good wishes to everyone,

Crystal
22 august really, oh wow can never tell how long it's been I haven't used the interweb, or did anything. Thanks for the reminder, yes will have to start the subtitle job, seems time's flying. :D
Best wishes back Crystal, et all.

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 pm

Oh, Fuki lives! :559:

Gassho, J

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 am

Episode 34 ... How an Online Sangha Works

How does a sangha work when members don't meet each other physically?
https://www.zen-of-everything.com/34

Episode 35 ... Karma
Good karma, bad karma, everyone knows about karma, right? Jundo and Kirk discuss what karma means, and how you count your karma points.
https://www.zen-of-everything.com/35

Gassho, J

jundocohen

Post by jundocohen » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 am

A bit of a special episode ...

Episode 36 ... A Zen Guide to Elections
Without endorsing any particular candidate, Kirk and Jundo talk about how Buddhist values and Precepts should guide the voter in elections in the U.S. and other countries.
THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/36

fuki

Post by fuki » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:28 am

jundocohen wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 pm
Oh, Fuki lives! :559:

Gassho, J
Yes sorry not dead yet, hey nobody's perfect! :lol:

I'll listen to ep 35-36 somewhere this week.