Change “Ask a Teacher”

Offer suggestions, report problems.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

Caodemarte

Change “Ask a Teacher”

Post by Caodemarte » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:28 pm

One of the most valuable part of ZFI was the “Ask a Teacher” section where only ordained or otherwise traditionally “authorized” teachers would respond. Rocks and stones can be teachers, but, again, here I am talking only about ordained or otherwise traditionally “authorized.”

In the Zen Space experimental section anyone (even me) can respond so it is no different from any other section. It has no special value or reason to exist.

I propose that that the section be changed so that only authorized or ordained teachers can respond. This will require some quality control on both ends. The questions will have to be moderated (redirecting or weeding out the inevitable spam and unrelated postings) and the teacher volunteers, if any, will have to be chosen with some care to weed out the “self-declared” or even fraudulent posters. I would further suggest that questions be practice related or come from the practice and not about historical or other matters that can be addressed elsewhere. Anyone can, of course, start a new thread elsewhere and any teacher can participate in any other thread if they wish.

I am sure there are many ways to do this. The old ZFI forum would put questions into a thread visible only to the authorized responders (teacher) and moderators. If a teacher wanted to respond the question and response would then appear in “Ask a Teacher.”
Last edited by Caodemarte on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuki

Re: Change “Ask a Teacher”

Post by fuki » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm

I'd like to see the zfi teachers section return to what is was, only with the difference that regular mods(non-teachers) do not decide whether a members post is approved or not. I've discussed this with a teacher there in PM and he/she agreed that mods make unskillfull decisions regarding approving/disapproving members posts there. So I favour that all teachers have "mod powers" eventhough that does not mean it is expected of them to moderate (like Meido does) outside of the ask the teachers thread.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm

fuki wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm
I'd like to see the zfi teachers section return to what is was, only with the difference that regular mods(non-teachers) do not decide whether a members post is approved or not. I've discussed this with a teacher there in PM and he/she agreed that mods make unskillfull decisions regarding approving/disapproving members posts there. So I favour that all teachers have "mod powers" eventhough that does not mean it is expected of them to moderate (like Meido does) outside of the ask the teachers thread.
Sounds good. As a side note I would note that the teachers did have mod power in that old ZFI thread. In my brief moderator experience towards the end, the ZFI moderators did not usually decide if a post became visible to all members or not. The teachers, who could see the postings, did if they wanted to respond. Sometimes the moderators would make a post visible if they thought doing so would encourage a response. The mods only deleted the really offensive screeds that were not actual questions and that nobody would respond to.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm

On Dharmawheel there’s a new user group, not sure how it works, I was never invited to it as a new user. It’s active a dialog space between newbies and somebody? Moderators or teachers maybe? There’s too much secrecy on DW in my humble opinion, something to avoid. And yet what the vocal posters have mostly comes from book learning. Again, something to avoid here. If you cite direct experience they come unglued and begin leveling accusations. Again, wtf? And befire you become just like ZFI, consider whether or not it wasn’t also sometimes a toxic environment. Things feel more cordial here, I’d not want to lose this.
--- Eric H., also know as Sun Wu Kong, "an authentic genuine human being"
Birth is thus
Death is thus
Verse or no verse
What’s the fuss?

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm
The mods only deleted the really offensive screeds that were not actual questions and that nobody would respond to.
If only! :roll:

Thanks, looking forward to what the team decides, but I agree about changing the current form.

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:26 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm
If you cite direct experience they come unglued and begin leveling accusations. Again, wtf?
Didn't you know? You can only speak from direct experience if the majority of "somebodies" has approved your name-form-avatar-identity as a somebody. Otherwise your auto-negated from book knowledge (sometimes disguised as holy experience) ah the dharma ending age, alas! :roll:

on zfi I responded to members and was negated for the nobody that I must be locked in a mental picture called the world. Not long after a teacher for christ's sake said the same thing and was put on a pedestal, lol!
Ask Guo Gu why that is...I could say something about the "flourishing of self" and all that but that must be book knowledge. It's not about me it happens to many many ppl not approved as the "somebodies"

we're all stars now in the dope show ;)

I guess we'll inherit the Earth afterall, the nobodies, woohoo!

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Good suggestions from Fuki and Cao