The Great Exoteric Brain Machine

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
Kaya

Re: The Great Exoteric Brain Machine

Post by Kaya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 am

fuki wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 pm
Kaya wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:32 am
Expounding as a Buddhist on a Zen Buddhist forum would be true to the benevolent intent of the forum. What comes from the heart of such a one who does so, and there are many here who do, can hardly be described as "shallow" or "limited".
Ofourse Kaya, sorry if you find any of my words offensive or rude, I was just not excluding "non-buddhist" daily life from Zen(Buddhism) sorry if things got lost in translation/interpretation, it's all good. (over "here") larry
Yes, I believe that language differences are a concern.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm

A super-duper monograph on skilful means, considered via the literature of Mahayana Buddhism, is by Michael Pye, SKILFUL MEANS, 1978; Duckworth (appropriately titled).

A tiny snippet is below.

As practitioners, we don't need to read about it. But it's like Old-Home-Week to do so, and can give some background regarding our ancestors.

See what you "think", if you should pick up the book.

--Joe

pye_skilful_means_excerpt.jpg
pye_skilful_means_excerpt.jpg (314.58 KiB) Viewed 205 times

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 am

Joe, minds me of a photoshoot with the kitty posted last week with some Huang Po words.
(I won't post the photos but use :cat: , it was the latest sunny kitty cut up in 5 sections)

That which is called the city of illuison contains the two vehicles, the ten stages of a bodhisattva's progress, and the two forms of full enlightenment. All of them are powerful teachings for arousing people's interest, but they still belong to the city of illusion.
:cat:
That which is called the Place of Precious Things is the real Mind, the original Buddha-Essence, the treasure of our own real Nature. These jewels cannot be measured or accumulated. Yet since they are neither Buddha nor sentient beings, neither subject nor object, where can there be a City of Precious Things?
If you ask, "Well so much for the City of Illusion, but where is the Place of Precious Things?", it is a place to which no direction can be given. For, if it could be pointed out, it would be a place existing in space; hence, it could not be the real Place of Precious Things.
All we can say is that it is close by. It cannot be directly described, but when you have a tacit understanding of its substance, it is there.
~Zen teachings of Huang Po
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 am

Fuki, "maybe so", all those good gumdrops that Huang-Bo says.

But, through honest and genuine Zen Buddhist practice with teacher and sangha -- and particularly, usually, with intensive practice, as on 7-day retreat, as a strong adjunct to our daily practice -- we can indeed wake up, and have the same Mind (no-mind) as all commentators and teachers of the past have "had", and have "taught"-from.

Buddha's teaching, and the teaching of others, is not made from "whole-cloth", i.e., it does not come from ...nowhere.

It comes only from Experience.

It's good to repeat an airing of this from time to time, I'd say.

--Joe

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 am
It's good to repeat an airing of this from time to time, I'd say.

--Joe
Joe, yes.

The quotes are inspirational to practise though, not thinking about the words. though It could immediately anyone reading 'grasp' the art of non-dwelling (non-abiding) and perhaps with any 'luck' a step from the hundred foot pole.

I'm an experienced quoter/player :hatsoff:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html