Wabi-Sabi

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
desert_woodworker

Wabi-Sabi

Post by desert_woodworker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:35 am

Bodhisattvas,

I'll catch up with PM's, and posts, etc., but just back from travel, and from treatment for a small broken bone, I want to post about a topic I had posted on at ZFI while ZFI was extant: "Wabi-Sabi", a/the Japanese quintessential or characteristic aesthetic, if I'm not wrong.

Much is out in literature and otherwise about Wabi, and Sabi.

The book of Leonard Koren, Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers, in 2008, is a handy way of introducing it. I'll post an image or two from his book.

Later, I'll post some examples of Wabi-Sabi that I've engendered, or otherwise documented. I invite others to do so, also.

(good to be back, more or less healthy),

--Joe

wab_sab_cover.jpg
wab_sab_cover.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 814 times

wab_sab_two_page.jpg
wab_sab_two_page.jpg (173.76 KiB) Viewed 814 times

Larry

Re: Wabi-Sabi

Post by Larry » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:30 am

Resonates with Punk & Grunge.
Good to see you back. Thought you'd got lost :107:

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:44 am

Welcome Joe!

I was too in another city in the last few days.and deal with the broken water pipe in the kitchen after return.welcome...
cooper

lindama

Post by lindama » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:48 am

Joe! :111:

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:29 am

I restored an old found shovel, a small shovel, like a trenching-shovel. I re-made the wood parts on the wood lathe, and did my best to spruce-up the metal parts, and re-paint some parts.

Maybe this is not Wabi-Sabi, though.

But, I had my fun. And the little shovel serves well here in the desert in gardening endeavors and treasure-hunts.

--Joe

shvl_2.JPG
I restored some parts of a found and discarded trenching shovel, giving the tool a new lease on Life.
shvl_2.JPG (192.69 KiB) Viewed 698 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 am

Here's the little recently restored trenching shovel, next to a bigger brother shovel from the Home Depot store purchased about 30 years ago.

--Joe

shvl_renewed.JPG
Rebuilt, reassembled, and rededicated to Work.
shvl_renewed.JPG (301.53 KiB) Viewed 695 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 am

Stitched-up the thick, broken terracotta planter I found, with braided copper cable. It's still in service today after 8 or 10 years.

Height of the planter, 78 cm.

--Joe

planter_repaired.jpg
Planter restored with copper cable "stitches"
planter_repaired.jpg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Attachments
planter_drilling.jpg
Planter halves; early stage; drilled-holes for stitches.
planter_drilling.jpg (233.35 KiB) Viewed 666 times

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:09 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 am
Stitched-up the thick, broken terracotta planter I found, with braided copper cable. It's still in service today after 8 or 10 years.

Height of the planter, 78 cm.

--Joe

planter_repaired.jpg
That is beautiful Joe, great job!
If I were go shopping for a pot, I'd pick the wabi-sabi pot over the unhole-d unbraided version
but I like stitches, there might be a market for it :D

Again, kudos! :bow2:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Marcel (Fuki), Thanks, Old Man. ;)

Yours,

--Joe

planter_stiched_closeup.jpg
A little closer view. But, is it Wabi-Sabi??
planter_stiched_closeup.jpg (260.6 KiB) Viewed 636 times

[james]

Post by [james] » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:22 am

It looks to me that there is glue in that joint. It seems to be held tighter than the wire stitching alone would permit without chipping the drilled holes. In my expert opinion :wool: , if glue has indeed been used, then, no, it is not wabi-sabi.

An inside view, if possible, of the stitching would be usefully informative.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 am

Hi, [j.],
[james] wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:22 am
It looks to me that there is glue in that joint. It seems to be held tighter than the wire stitching alone would permit without chipping the drilled holes. In my expert opinion :wool: , if glue has indeed been used, then, no, it is not wabi-sabi.

An inside view, if possible, of the stitching would be usefully informative.
James, bless your good eye. Yerright!

For some reason, I did introduce the proprietary Gorilla Glue upon the seams. I thought it would prevent or at least minimize water-loss during the normal use of the planter. I was/am primarily a practical gardener, and not a Wabi-Sabi theorist/purist (but not too far from that, either, now).

As it has happened in the intervening years, the glue has entirely left us. It's gone, Jimbo. Water and soil minerals do indeed leak along the seam(s), and stain the vessel along the course of the leakage. But I think this is OK. And more than OK. Just natural. The thing looks great, all these years after.

On the initial question of yours about GLUE, one has to wonder. Is glue inimical to Wabi-Sabi? Are stitches of thread inimical to Wabi-Sabi? Are rivets in old metal inimical to Wabi-Sabi? Do these invalidate Wabi-Sabi, as Wabi-Sabi? If so, why? If not, why not? And, if so and if why not, then, well, what the hell? (just being a wise-guy there).

I can't say, James. But I know what I love. thanks,

:namaste:

--Joe

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:37 am

I found a grabber device in a dumpster, missing one of its pincers.

I made a replacement pincer of wood, and the device operates as new. I think!: I never owned it new. My dentist would be proud of me, perhaps, for implanting a new "tooth"! (what say, Doc?!).

This is the grabber's Wabi-Sabi reincarnation.

Love!, to all tossed-out stuff, which may have been only just in need of a glance, and a hand.

"Re-use", if you can (find a way).

--Joe

grabber_implant.jpg
Fixed, after loss of a finger, arm, tooth.
grabber_implant.jpg (222.05 KiB) Viewed 622 times

grabber_full_length.jpg
The long and short of it.
grabber_full_length.jpg (226.18 KiB) Viewed 621 times

[james]

Post by [james] » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:58 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 am
On the initial question of yours about GLUE, one has to wonder. Is glue inimical to Wabi-Sabi? Are stitches of thread inimical to Wabi-Sabi? Are rivets in old metal inimical to Wabi-Sabi? Do these invalidate Wabi-Sabi, as Wabi-Sabi? If so, why? If not, why not? And, if so and if why not, then, well, what the hell? (just being a wise-guy there).
I wouldn’t say that glue is inherently inimical, nor stitches, nor any particular thing or technique.There are appropriate situations for any and every method for giving new life to worn and damaged objects.

In this particular circumstance, the earthenware planter, I don’t see the use of glue as suitable if the wire stitching is in itself sufficient. I’m assuming that it was originally a planter. Maybe it only became so after you had worked on it. If it was actually a vessel meant to hold water and you wanted to preserve that function, the use of a glue might be seen as appropriate. As a planter where the the holes and stitching is sufficient to the nature of the contents (moist soil, plant roots, biological activity) the presence of glue is superfluous and, as you note, inadequate in meeting the realities of weathering and soil acids ... i.e. inimical in this context.

None of which really matters of course. We do what we love doing, what gives ourselves and others satisfaction. In honoring the life of objects and respecting the efforts and intentions that gave rise to them in the first place, the outcome is as important as the details. I think.

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Thanks, James!

Water was going to leak out through the braided copper cable stitching, and through the drilled holes in the terracotta, so my including the glue seems actually uncalled for. I must have added it for strength (and "because it was there"). But with such sturdy gauge copper cable stitching, nothing was going to go anywhere, anyway. An example of over-kill, even all these years after the Cold War.

Note, there is famous repaired Japanese crockery (old venerable tea bowls, etc.) repaired with inlaid gold to hold the shattered pieces together. Beautiful. An expensive but more glorious glue than Gorilla Glue. Too high-falutin' Art to be Wabi-Sabi? I dunno... . There's a name for crockery repaired with gold in that way, the word escapes me, but it's a beauty of a word, too.

--Joe

planter_drilled_bottom_and_sides.jpg
Planter bottom drilled too, for drainage.
--
planter_drilled_bottom_and_sides.jpg (239.53 KiB) Viewed 590 times

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:19 pm

From Wikipedia:

Kintsugi (金継ぎ, "golden joinery"), also known as Kintsukuroi (金繕い, "golden repair"), is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, a method similar to the maki-e technique. As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.

Here is an example that I enjoyed, by Rachel Sussman, that maybe ventures into Wabi-Sabi territory.
265089C4-BD65-413A-AC19-A24EF9D10B83.jpeg
265089C4-BD65-413A-AC19-A24EF9D10B83.jpeg (287.8 KiB) Viewed 585 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 am

On desert roads here (which is all of them), we have regular "chip-sealing" of the road surface performed by municipal authorities.

This is the drizzling and guidance of liquified tar, guided and flowed into cracks in the road, so that monsoon Summer rains won't continue to infiltrate the cracks and wash out the dirt surface below the paving. Otherwise, such wash-outs cause segments of the surface to collapse (forming pot-holes and worse).

The roads here look like the graphic you post above.

Another feature of chip-sealing after filling cracks is the covering of the entire road surface with oil or asphaltum, and then the sprinkling upon that tar of fine stone gravel. Season after season, the road becomes a layer-cake of many oilings or tarrings with small stones impacted and concreted in aspic. This confers some lastingness, at least so far. Eventually, though, in town, curbs need to be raised!, or the road surface dug out and started all over again, because the town street levels keep rising as more material is added per annum, or at other intervals.

--Joe

EDIT: (4/29/2019 14:20 UTC)

ps [james], I see another one (attachd below). Seems to be a theme / project / Initiative! Thanks for turning me on to her work.

Sussman_Sidewalk_kintsukuroi_512.jpg
Sussman_Sidewalk_kintsukuroi_512.jpg (290.75 KiB) Viewed 571 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Wed May 01, 2019 3:40 pm

There's a newer book out this year by this author, but her 2010 book is one I'd also like to read, first. I'm looking around today for a copy.

The 2010 book is a book on "non-Art" ("non-museum Art") aesthetics. I'll see if she gets into the Wabi-Sabi aesthetic, and I expect she will. Here's the 2010 book:

Saito_Everyday.jpg
Saito_Everyday.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 560 times
--Joe

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Not my proudest doing, but it's in play.

--Joe

screen_repair_512.JPG
screen_repair_512.JPG (143.62 KiB) Viewed 467 times

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri May 17, 2019 4:26 am

1.the beauty of imperfection

2.transience

3.weathered and worn

4.not assertive of newness

5...?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam