maybe just woodworked and deserted?
:lol:

desert_woodworker

Re: “The Rinzai Zen Way”

Post by desert_woodworker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:18 pm

clyde wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 am
p.s: I must be dense. Was I scolded?
I feel I scold in saying that statements about duality are overdone. Let the practitioner learn from -- and embody -- what eventuates. No front-loading, please.

I.e., too much PC-talk. Let Teachers disabuse recalcitrant students of unhelpful notions. Meanwhile, let people use half-truths and fictions helpfully, to the extent that they can, and to the extent that their teachers find them to be helpful and unobtrusive.

Picasso said, "Art is a lie that reveals the truth."

I say, "Yoga is an artifice that enables the Natural."

--Joe

clyde

Post by clyde » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

In Chapter 8, Functions of Zen Practice Methods, Meido writes,
Vows and ethical precepts may be taken as skillful guidelines for behavior, and also unfold to reveal themselves as profound teachings directly pointing out our nature.
That is how I feel about “do no harm”.

This is a good reminder,
One thing that is clear from all of this is that as Zen students we should never judge others according to the specific practice or discipline they are using in their Zen training.
But this is a better,
It is best, in fact, to just consider all other people to be advanced bodhisattvas and ourselves to be common, deluded persons.
Even on a Zen forum :)

When we are able to apply the qualities developed through our practice to the conflicts and challenges of daily life, then we will begin to understand how life itself may function as the supreme practice method. [emphasis added]
Life is the supreme practice whether we’re ready and able or not.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

clyde wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm
It is best, in fact, to just consider all other people to be advanced bodhisattvas and ourselves to be common, deluded persons.
Even on a Zen forum :)
Hopefully without drifting into false modesty :)

clyde

Post by clyde » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am

In Chapter 9, Samadhi (Meditative Absorption), Meido writes,
It is sometimes the case that Zen teachers are hesitant to discuss such things.
Thankfully, Meido wasn’t hesitant; and we benefited.
With a tepid, shallow concentration that comes and goes, such people may spend many years sitting peacefully and with great decorum, stewing in the endless arising of subtle dualistic thought and stale emotion.
That seems sadly familiar. (But the analogy that follows was too much.)

Following that, there are two sections, Samadhi before Awakening and Samadhi after Awakening. These should be read carefully.

p.s: This is an excellent book. I read ahead to the next chapter, Chapter 10 Relaxation, which is the first chapter on Part Two: Practice. What follows is detailed practice guidance given in skillful instructions - and they work.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

fuki

Post by fuki » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:29 pm

clyde wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am
Following that, there are two sections, Samadhi before Awakening and Samadhi after Awakening. These should be read carefully.
Not if one reads books to satisfy the intellect though :hatsoff:

I've read the entire book, forgot 99% of it. That which is functional I leave to the great Unknown and manifests spontaneously with zero knowledge of samadhi or awakening.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Finished the book, coming from a position of near comprehensive ignorance about Rinzai and somewhat better informed misunderstanding of Zen in general, the detail was most welcome.

I liked the vision exercise in Chapter 11, its reminiscent of the instruction of one of the motorcycle racing schools; the attention is kept wide and not fixated on anything in particular because in general the consequence of doing so is that you run into what you're looking at. Instead the training is to find appropriate reference points and transition between them so as to corner more quickly and efficiently.

The sosukukan method is a nice alternative to what I have been doing. I think I need to find a local teacher sooner or later, solitary practice and visiting zendos while on travel only goes so far. I think it was a well-conceived and executed book, many thanks Meido :)

Aka spike

Post by Aka spike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 pm

I haven't read this book, but would like to. If you would sell me your used copy, I will pay you list + shipping. After reading, I will donate this book, in your name, to the Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery library, so students won't have to pay to read an essential training work. If you prefer not to accept payment, I will donate equivalent of list + shipping (+ ?), in your name, to: a. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (my charity choice), b. your charity choice, c. Korinji. If I get more than one offer, I will publicize and hook up potential buyer with seller via PM, with permission. Please PM.