Whats your practice?

Discussion of Zen Buddhism, Soto Zen, Rinzai Zen, Chan, Seon and Thien.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

fuki

Re: Whats your practice?

Post by fuki » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:47 am

[SPOILER]
KeithA wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 am
fuki wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 pm
KeithA wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:26 pm
I find online discussion of certain aspects of Zen Buddhism, such as kensho, satori, koans, etc. to be exercises in futility. It's really why I feel Zen fora in general are not easy to keep going. I am really not interested in opinions about the things I only discuss with my teacher. I am happy to shoot the shit, as they say. But, listening to Zen Buddhism being re-imagined and re-interpreted to satisfy one's ego just gives me a headache.

Sorry for the buzzkill...

_/|\_
I get that and that it is mostly futile I see that too, but also seen exceptions to the "rule" and it can be quite beautiful and reflecting when it happens spontaneously. but mostly its poopy indeed, not sure why you add a buzzkill to the soup I had no expectations so your reply is welcomed. And online discussion will always differ from offline its unrealistic to think it will ever be free of self referential stuff or ego boosting, I actually like it since you get to deal with all kinds of ppl and opinions you wont hear in a Sangha, that way it can be a mirror for one's vexations which I consider a blessing to observe. I enjoy ppls accounts about Samadhi their koan practise or whatever especially in a "ask a teacher" part of the forum.

I find ppls reactions and the results of the reactions interesting to observe, not so much the content of the speech but how it triggers reaction and if ppl are pleased or displeased about a comment and how that often turns into locking some name and avatar in a mental picture which then is food for future preconceived notions "oh he again etc" I remember me and Joe discussed Samadhi experiences on zfi and lots of ppl got vexated, that is very interesting. I also remember Jundo asked Joe to confirm an awakening experience and he gave a beautiful description which was also frowned upon by some, I find that sad, sharing certain experiences/discussions through the interweb (when the conditions and circumstance are ripe) can spontaneously inspire and motivate or open up to whoever is ready sometimes happens spontaneously instead of just sticking "holy silence". When "minds meet" on a forum is lovely doesnt happen often but it can.

Anyway you're still the life of the party for me, sorry. :P
Thank you, friend. I guess my response is that your examples kind of point to what I was talking about. If you mention something about an experience, people will rush in to tell you how it wasn't the "real deal" or look for you to "prove it", as if that was possible online. I also feeling like talking about these things can result in some serious pumping up one's own ego. I just think in the end, it's bad form and just not a topic worth discussing in a Zen Buddhist forum. I mean, c'mon there is rebirth to talk about!! :104: lol!

_/|\_
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh friend.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am

Last Sunday I went again to the Chan Centre run by Hildi Thalmann. This time there was just me (the previous time, there were two other people who came). It's quite a nice practice space in a central Berne basement, slippers and warm socks in the foyer, lovely simple altars with a variety of zafus in a practice space separated by a bamboo screen. Hildi decked out in grey robes brought back memories of my Seon nun teacher. The practice consists of three sits facing outwards of 25 minutes each separated by brief walking meditation. Gosh, I struggle a bit - my feet go to sleep. There's some reading from talks by Master Sheng-Yen. Hildi, a retired paediatrician (I think??), tiny and energetic, is very approachable and strikes me as a genuine kindly person. I believe she knows our Guo Gu quite well.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am
Last Sunday I went again to the Chan Centre run by Hildi Thalmann. This time there was just me (the previous time, there were two other people who came). It's quite a nice practice space in a central Berne basement, slippers and warm socks in the foyer, lovely simple altars with a variety of zafus in a practice space separated by a bamboo screen. Hildi decked out in grey robes brought back memories of my Seon nun teacher. The practice consists of three sits facing outwards of 25 minutes each approximately separated by brief walking meditation. Gosh, I struggle a bit - my feet go to sleep. There's some reading from talks by Master Sheng-Yen. Hildi, a retired paediatrician (I think??), tiny and energetic, is very approachable and strikes me as a genuine kindly person. I believe she knows our Guo Gu quite well.
I notice that if I sit too far back on the cushion, my legs fall asleep. It's very consistent and repeatable. So, when I sit, I make sure the cushion is under my spine and that there is no pressure whatsoever on the back of my legs. Everyone's body is different, but that works for me. :)

I am glad you found a nice place to practice. It's a true treasure.

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm

KeithA wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm
I notice that if I sit too far back on the cushion, my legs fall asleep. It's very consistent and repeatable. So, when I sit, I make sure the cushion is under my spine and that there is no pressure whatsoever on the back of my legs....
I understand that it is pressure on the nerves in the buttocks and upper legs that almost always cause the feet and lower legs to fall asleep, not pressure on the lower body, Damage to the knee will often manifest elsewhere. Hurt your shoulder and your arms may feel pain, not your shoulder. The body tricks us all the time.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Caodemarte wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm
KeithA wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm
I notice that if I sit too far back on the cushion, my legs fall asleep. It's very consistent and repeatable. So, when I sit, I make sure the cushion is under my spine and that there is no pressure whatsoever on the back of my legs....
I understand that it is pressure on the nerves in the buttocks and upper legs that almost always cause the feet and lower legs to fall asleep, not pressure on the lower body, Damage to the knee will often manifest elsewhere. Hurt your shoulder and your arms may feel pain, not your shoulder. The body tricks us all the time.
Definitely agree. I always go "up the chain". I discovered that the plantar fasciitis I had was calf-related. Once I mashed the tight spots loose, the PF went away almost immediately.
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am
Last Sunday I went again to the Chan Centre run by Hildi Thalmann. This time there was just me (the previous time, there were two other people who came). It's quite a nice practice space in a central Berne basement, slippers and warm socks in the foyer, lovely simple altars with a variety of zafus in a practice space separated by a bamboo screen. Hildi decked out in grey robes brought back memories of my Seon nun teacher. The practice consists of three sits facing outwards of 25 minutes each separated by brief walking meditation. Gosh, I struggle a bit - my feet go to sleep. There's some reading from talks by Master Sheng-Yen. Hildi, a retired paediatrician (I think??), tiny and energetic, is very approachable and strikes me as a genuine kindly person. I believe she knows our Guo Gu quite well.
Checked out the site and the photos of retreats etc and looks like a great place, you're lucky to find dharma drum in Bern. I really wish they'd open up in the nl one day. My legs are asleep for an hour sometimes because the cats lay on me basically whenever they can, having cats can be physically very demanding. :lol: :cat:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am

My mind lacks discipline and is easily distracted by shiny glittery things. Depending upon how discursive, delusive, and deranged my mind is at that present moment, my practice exists on sort of a sliding scale of counting the breath, following the breath, and shikantaza.

bokki

Post by bokki » Mon May 14, 2018 2:08 pm

thank u emmet, big time.
one may have practiced shikantaza for a long time, or trained focused on a life question,

but, im sry 2 digress..

of course u know dogens koan|
: practice is enlightenment,
enlightenment is practice.

well, i practice enlightnment.

let them practice practice.
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

bokki