HELLO

Introduce yourself and discover who else is here.
Great Sage EofH

HELLO

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi! I was called HAN SEN at the other forum, but here WuKong. I have been studying Eastern practices since 1967 at age 16. I began meditation and prayer and spiritual quest around 1971. In and out of yoga community, and church, too. in 1999 i began what was called Mindfulness Meditation, which evolved into Samatha Bhavana, and now zazen. I'm beginning to meet with Soto groups, but I have a piece of paper from Lam Te Dhyana and I'm not exactly leaving them. I'm trying to work with a tight schedule in a big city. I sometimes talk like I know what I'm talking about, sometimes like a fool. in India and Tibet the Dharma Bum is called "kusulu" - i'm a kusulu and a wandering poet :lol:
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

Larry

Re: HELLO

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm

SunWuKong wrote: I sometimes talk like I know what I'm talking about, sometimes like a fool.
I know the feeling :D

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Hello SunWuKong

Looking forward to your suggestions and contributions!

_/|\_

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:09 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Hi! I was called HAN SEN at the other forum, but here WuKong. I have been studying Eastern practices since 1967 at age 16. I began meditation and prayer and spiritual quest around 1971. In and out of yoga community, and church, too. in 1999 i began what was called Mindfulness Meditation, which evolved into Samatha Bhavana, and now zazen. I'm beginning to meet with Soto groups, but I have a piece of paper from Lam Te Dhyana and I'm not exactly leaving them. I'm trying to work with a tight schedule in a big city. I sometimes talk like I know what I'm talking about, sometimes like a fool. in India and Tibet the Dharma Bum is called "kusulu" - i'm a kusulu and a wandering poet :lol:
So, to focus a bit. It started with MBSR - but mostly the take away from that was the yoga and the formal sitting practice. Right away it became daily. It wasn’t quite well rounded as per how to practice in the remaining 23 hours of the day so I turned to Community of Mindful Living , attended sangha regularly, daily sitting, retreats, getting taught... Fast forward to 10 years later, needing a tune up on sitting practice studying sutras on mindfulness of breathing in Theravada and Mahayana texts, getting more focus. Things started happening I wasn’t expecting, I only have a partial explanation as of this time but in Hinayana it’s called jhana. Then a prostate cancer scare which caused some PTSD symptoms, (benign) Some where along the path Introduction to Zazen with Fukushima Keido Roshi, and now at age 65 starting to discover Soto and Rinzai Zen. So retooling to practice zazen in the Soto fashion. In conclusion it’s important to be skilled in flexibility as well as focus. And now here we are

Meido

Post by Meido » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Welcome!
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

[Note: not reachable by PM. To get in touch please email through the website above.]

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu May 02, 2019 3:45 am

I wrote this up earlier, hope this gives a better background. I'm earmarking with *** where the more serious instruction comes from

Practice Summary Great Sage E of H, Alexandria, Virginia

52 years of meditation and yoga practice, since 1967. Participated in Yoga Class at Clifton Unitarian Church in Louisville Kentucky, beginning a long association with both the Unitarian Universalist Association and meditation programs.

Elected to take Eastern Civilizations option at Kansas City Art Institute. Studied Tassajara Bread making and worked in vegetarian restaurants in Kansas City.

Welcomed Allen Ginsberg back from his India tour, reading at University of Missouri at Kansas City. Another long association, with Buddhist beat literature.

Initiated into Transcendental Mediation as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1972, trained for TM teacher until 1974. Daily practice until 1979.

Attended opening of Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University, Boulder Colorado,1976.

Began Christian worship in 1979, daily contemplative practices, Biblical Studies.

*** 1999: began daily sitting meditation with MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) Jon Kabat Zinn of Massachussets School Of Medicine in consultation with Dr. Hale, psychiatrist, of Lawrence Kansas. Daily Practice 1999-2019: 20 years MBSR.

*** Joined Sangha of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hahn, Plum Village Tradition 2000-2019.

*** Took 5 Mindfulness Trainings (Precepts) and Refuge (2000) Teacher: Chan Huy, Lam Te Dhyana (Lin Chi lineage). Dharma named “Peaceful Contentment of the Source.”

*** 2002 - Received instruction in zazen from Fukushima Keido Roshi, head abbot of Tōfuku-ji sect of Rinzai Zen. This is Jeff Shore’s teacher.

*** Attended weekly meets Eugene, Oregon Cedar Sangha 2002-2005, retreats. Teachers: Nancy Nina of Cedar Sangha Dr. Jerry Braza, River Sangha, Salem, Oregon.

Began attending Unitarian and Silent Quaker meetings in Oregon.

Joined Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship under the direction of Rev. James Ishmael Ford, and Church of the Larger Fellowship, Unitarian Universalist Association. Since 2007.

*** Home sangha 2005-2019, Fairfax Mindfulness Center, Teachers Anh-Huong Nguyen and Thu Nguyen, Oakton UUA.

Retreats with Annapolis UUBF - Mindfulness Practice Group of Annapolis and Ka Shin Zendo Genzo-Ji, Zen Buddhist Sangha of Washington, D.C.

Completed Certification of 8 Week Mindfulness Training in MBSR with Dave Potter of Palouse Mindfulness, Moscow Idaho (online) 2019.

Currently attending UUCA Buddhist Fellowship, Meditation Group with Bob Gayer. Arlington, Virginia

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am

Have forwarded to HR :D

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu May 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks Larry! As you can see I am more than "double-downed" on teachers, sanghas, retreats, and daily practice - thanks for your participartion, and I hope I pass the audition!

Spike

Post by Spike » Thu May 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Recognize several of your references. Sat at Ka Shn zendo in Takima Park back in the days of Andy Afable. Anh-Hong Nguyen and Thu Nguyen are both lovely people. Attended one of their all-day events at the annual Psychotherapy Networker Symposium in DC. Also, great admirer of Rev. Duncan Howlett former pastor of All Souls UUC. He wrote a book about fellow Reverend James Reeb, who was murdered during the civil rights movement in the South. Knew his daughter well.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Spike wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:03 pm
Recognize several of your references. Sat at Ka Shn zendo in Takima Park back in the days of Andy Afable. Anh-Hong Nguyen and Thu Nguyen are both lovely people. Attended one of their all-day events at the annual Psychotherapy Networker Symposium in DC. Also, great admirer of Rev. Duncan Howlett former pastor of All Souls UUC. He wrote a book about fellow Reverend James Reeb, who was murdered during the civil rights movement in the South. Knew his daughter well.
Rev. Reeb is a Bodhisattva, he did serve at All Souls sometime before joining Freedom Riders. Ka Shin have very deep roots; currently Rinzai teacher Jeff Shore's aunt attends regularly.Jeff teaches in Philly on a regular basis and Ka Shin ppl attend and get koan instruction from him. They tend to sweep some of the dirty past (Yasutani's racism, and having been a part of Shimano's network) under the rug, but given the fact that it is a collaborative effort, there's no person you could point a finger at. Anh-Hong Nguyen and Thu Nguyen are vastly under-rated. She is Thich Nhat Hanh's niece, something she never mentions, she had been helping him with writing and organization ever since he first visited the USA, they are all highly educated, highly successful, but just a little too far away for me to commute to regularly. I could start a Plum Village Tradition sangha in Alexandria under their tutelage, as well as the other 2 large sanghas (DC) and Maryland, but not sure I'm the best person for that. I'd rather support a smaller sangha weekly, that is closer by.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu May 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:21 pm
Thanks Larry! As you can see I am more than "double-downed" on teachers, sanghas, retreats, and daily practice - thanks for your participartion, and I hope I pass the audition!
:lol:

We'll be in touch :lol:

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 am

Howdy, again.