How is Zen Space doing - a poll for all members, active, inactive, lurkers, come one, come all!

Get news and information about the forum.

Moderator: Spiritual Do-gooder

How is Zen Space doing - a poll for all members, active, inactive, lurkers, come one, come all!

I think the Forum is doing just fine and don't have any major suggestions for change.
18%
The Forum is quite OK, but a few things could be better (see below for a list of suggestions to vote on).
14%
The Forum, as it stands, is not great. Major changes are needed (see below for a list of suggestions to vote on).
6%
I don't hold much hope for this place.
2%
Suggestion 1: Moderation is too lax and needs to come down on the time-wasters and the rudeness.
20%
Suggestion 2: Moderation is too strict and needs to lay off and let posts and threads be.
3%
Suggestion 3: The conversation is dominated by the same voices and I can't really relate to it very much.
8%
Suggestion 4: I wish Teachers and more experienced folks chimed in more.
14%
Suggestion 5: I wish there were fewer "Teachers" and people setting others straight. I feel too intimidated by the self-appointed heavy-weights to join in the conversation or ask something.
5%
Suggestion 6: I don't see the relevance of a lot of what is said to Zen or to my life and practice.
11%

Total votes: 65

fuki

Re: How is Zen Space doing - a poll for all members, active, inactive, lurkers, come one, come all!

Post by fuki » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:42 pm
I'm not suggesting "the Nuclear option". Something short of that but as effective would seem more Buddhistic, anyway
There's always the sin bin.

meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

bokki

Re: How is Zen Space doing - a poll for all members, active, inactive, lurkers, come one, come all!

Post by bokki » Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

well, i would like 2 say here...
hope u dont
MIND
lol

anyway, 2 my mind
from sin bin
to nuclear
is about
50.ooo shades of gray.

lol, how will u punish them, oh , big one..
ooohhh!

??????????????
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Thu May 17, 2018 1:22 pm

b.,

There was once a rumor about "The Buddhist Hell of Perpetual Dentistry". :cry:

--Joe

Dan74
Site Admin

Post by Dan74 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm

It might be worth picking up on the very last point of the poll, since it's the one that squarely concerns us, the posters, especially those of us who contribute a lot.

7 posters agreed with "I don't see the relevance of a lot of what is said to Zen or to my life and practice." I assume (from the answers to the first 4 questions, that we have a total of 25 participants) who include the regulars. And yet more than a quarter find forum content largely irrelevant.

Is this something worth going deeper about?

fuki

Post by fuki » Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm
Is this something worth going deeper about?
It's relative (what's relevant) so it depends on the stuff ppl read or contribute themselves.
I noticed myself that a lot of things ppl find relevant (can relate to) is completely alien to me, alien in the sense that I'm not moved by certain things discussed regarding 'zen and daily life' That's because we're all different (well it appears so :P ) so to make a forum relevant to anyone best thing would be if those who can't relate start posting themselves. 99% of my daily interactions with ppl are not relevant to me, but even that's relative, i.e. an interpretation upon perception. So does it matter? If I find something not relevant I don't engage, simple enough, I never try to make it relevant, but if that's important to anyone, the effort is up to them (the voters)

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 pm

For me, sometimes a photo is relevant (most relevant), sometimes a song. Sometimes a finely-drawn philosophical discussion (Philosophy is Art, too).

I think that if only 25% of members find posts irrelevant in some important sense, that is really very good.

And perhaps those who find things irrelevant will in fact then begin to post things to match their weird.

Else a good strategy to improve the quality of content would be to charge a subscription fee for membership and posting privileges. That would be good psychology. Lurkers could read free of charge but could not vote in surveys.

--Joe

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 am

I wish everyone well here, but I haven't found it an open and friendly place, especially when I joined right at the beginning with a different name and was completely ignored publicly when I politely offered a space on my own website if people were having difficulties setting something up. (I cancelled my membership and then joined again later).

However, I did eventually receive a private belated apology from someone (not Dan) at a later time, but it all seemed really strange. It reminded me a little of the odd atmosphere at Zen Forum International not long before it disappeared from the internet.

At the moment this forum appears to be dominated by a very small number of lay people (who aren't officially Zen teachers) and some of them create a distinctly cliquey atmosphere, added to which there are "in" jokes, or comments and reflections which are completely off topic, or go right over the top of my head, to be honest,.. and I would imagine its the same for others looking in who aren't familiar with their banter.

Added to that there's sometimes quite a bossy, or aggressive & combative feel to some of the posts, which is a turn off for me at least, as I'm not a Zen practitioner. I'm more familiar with Vajrayana and Theravada, and I came here hoping to learn more about Zen Buddhism and to interact with its practitioners.

Sorry I wasn't able to say something more positive. All the best to everyone and maybe I'll look in again sometime in the future .

May all sentient beings have peace and happiness.

Crystal _/|\_

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Zen Buddhism is just Life. This should not reflect poorly on anything Zen Buddhist, nor on things not Zen Buddhist.

"How is Zen Space doing?" My answer today: >>-------> "Well, it's a SPACE!"

Thanks, All who come; who go.

That's Life.

Good long weekend, USA folks,

:namaste:

--Joe

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:54 pm
Zen Buddhism is just Life. This should not reflect poorly on anything Zen Buddhist, nor on things not Zen Buddhist.

That's Life.

--Joe
Same 2 you, DW! :waving:

It's just an internet forum. Maybe we shouldn't take it as a referendum on life. Thanks to those of you with the hand on the rudder, steering a boat that doesn't want to be steered!

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Steering is an illusion, on a sea of Quantum Foam!

(just sayin') :lol:

That's Life,

--Joe

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm

KeithA wrote:It's just an internet forum. Maybe we shouldn't take it as a referendum on life. Thanks to those of you with the hand on the rudder, steering a boat that doesn't want to be steered!
desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:11 pm

That's Life,

--Joe

Here's one for you guys :

"Talking Shit Freestyle"

"(just sayin')"

"That's Life."

Take care , bye.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri May 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Crystal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm
KeithA wrote:It's just an internet forum. Maybe we shouldn't take it as a referendum on life. Thanks to those of you with the hand on the rudder, steering a boat that doesn't want to be steered!
desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:11 pm

That's Life,

--Joe

Here's one for you guys :

"Talking Shit Freestyle"

"(just sayin')"

"That's Life."

Take care , bye.
Good luck and thanks for practicing, Crystal.

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Physicist/Astrophysicist here.

"Quantum Foam" is an allusion that's a tool of the trade. Maybe not the most appropriate here. But it has crept into the popular scientific literature, and the popular imagination, and I think that's good, provided it's an informed-notion for folks. Why, just the other month in SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN... .

You can hardly throw a stone anymore without hitting Quantum Foam... .

There's much of wonder, in Nature. And in true-Nature (our practice reveals). That's Life, as you may experience it.

Zen Space still doing OK, I'd say: on Earth; in Space; In multi-dimensions. Always to be a work in process? -- if not progress? I hope so. Life is Change ("Brother, can ya spare a dime?") It's all up to the no-one who is you (or maybe the Just-One), independent of the Five Skandhas, or let's say even including them.

G. K. Chesterton wrote about -- and his wannabe, Alan Watts popularized (who also wanted to be D. T. Suzuki) -- "The Which than which there can be no 'whicher' ".

In the serious part of the above, I'm just guessing, and expressing. I am not a part of the Administration -- though I was one of the financial-supporters or backers of ZFI. But I hope I do hold to the TOU, and am generally within and behind the Spirit of the Mission-Statement, without quibble, disappointment, or desire to change it all to merely "Sweetness and Light": Our Topic is Life and Death. Speaking for myself.

rgds, All,
_/\_ ,

--Joe
Last edited by desert_woodworker on Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boda

Post by boda » Fri May 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Crystal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 am
At the moment this forum appears to be dominated by a very small number of lay people (who aren't officially Zen teachers) and some of them create a distinctly cliquey atmosphere, added to which there are "in" jokes, or comments and reflections which are completely off topic, or go right over the top of my head, to be honest,.. and I would imagine its the same for others looking in who aren't familiar with their banter.
Regarding the sense of cliques and so-called 'in-jokes', I've sensed that myself on occasion, however, it's my experience with this group that this is not the case. Meaning that if anyone were to relax and join the fray they would be welcomed. That's my experience anyway. I remember a particular instance where I thought a member might feel some sense of exclusion but, much to my relief and pleasure, they demonstrated no such feeling.

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:54 pm

That's Life.

--Joe
20180525_140215.jpg
'in-joke'
20180525_140215.jpg (736.58 KiB) Viewed 173 times

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Conze wrote that "Zen is Buddhism with jokes". Are they "In"-jokes? I dunno. Maybe only if one is outside.

No fault.

--Joe

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri May 25, 2018 6:10 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:05 pm
Conze wrote that "Zen is Buddhism with jokes". Are they "In"-jokes? I dunno. Maybe only if one is outside.

No fault.

--Joe
Dunno, cant sense any center arising and differentiating.
An up to the side joke :lol:

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Fuki, how many pairs of sandals have you worn out in all your "comings-and-goings"?

(just a famous Zen Buddhist rhetorical Q.; not to worry, Marcel). :)

But let's keep to the Topic, and not prove that we're "All off-topic, All of the time", to those dubious folks who find that there are divisions in Life.

Granted, there are threads that do well to be and to remain highly focused; Others, which "happen" to run a bit wild, are still worth every nickel invested, I'd say, both in the writing and in the reading: There's juice in them there hills... if not Gold. And you can quote me, Dragon-Brother.

--Joe

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 pm

desert_woodworker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 pm
Fuki, how many pairs of sandals have you worn out in all your "comings-and-goings"?

(just a famous Zen Buddhist rhetorical Q.; not to worry, Marcel). :)

There's juice in them there hills... if not Gold. And you can quote me, Dragon-Brother.

--Joe
:)

desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker » Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm

No use beating a dead horse -- or examining the teeth of a gift-horse -- as, ...well, he or she is gone, by free choice, and own assertion; but, and not to mention names, I find that this is a strange attitude:
Crystal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 am
At the moment this forum appears to be dominated by a very small number of lay people (who aren't officially Zen teachers)
I'd say that the only people who aren't teachers here are those who are not. And that's most of us, of the 102 included.

I think that any forum that was all Teachers would not admit the person just checking-/bailing-out.

So, right. I doubt one will find a forum of all-Teachers who will admit you. Unless you are a teacher! I hope we've learned something, if you are a teacher. Time may tell.

Maybe there's another poll of some sort as a next step that can be taken soon which will give clear results, something like an MRI, or a CAT-scan. They're getting better all the time.

--Joe

p.s. Some Zen teachers are lay people. I'm friends with a few of them.
p.p.s. I hope that wasn't "Teresa". Dang!, if so. Come back and teach us (Teresa)... . I miss your fabulous art-work, anyway. :namaste: