This Forum in Particular

Offer suggestions, report problems.
.joop

Re: This Forum in Particular

Post by .joop » Fri May 17, 2019 6:52 am

Last edited by .joop on Fri May 17, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 am

I may join the forum for some time
cooper

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Mason wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:37 pm

As for me, I'd like to see more discussion of scripture
Happy hearsay boy,

back at ZFI and here too (if memory serves) I frequently had many ideas like yourself, including "sutra of the month" (or whatever the time-span) for instance one of my fav sutras is "the sutra of complete enlightenment" an idea is to just quote a few sentences or part of a chapter and let everybody who wants to say something about it, or have questions, and then when we all are "done" with that part, start the next piece/chapter. it doesn't matter could also be the dimaond sutra, let's have 1 text or sutra per month (or longer if necessary) but no one ever took the bait, practisioners or teachers. I understand many people are afraid to be unknowledgable (the irony eh) but I tried so many things over the years, that I'm good being whatever ppl think whether it's nonzense or cracking jokes or whatever, but I tried, there's just no one taking the bait, but every time the forum is flooded with what's wrong or lacking and the lounge folks are designated as the problem for so called serious practioners inactivity, I probably shouldn't have said this, because even this in all the old and this forum, caused division and finger pointing to individuals and locking up ppl in a mental picture...so who knows if I will sigh and don't know whether to laugh or cry at the upcoming irony, there's a "saying" the only thing real about the future is the unpredictable, so who knows if this time there's a surprise or we go as Keith says..."round and round" :cat:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

IZIhttp://www.zeninstitute.org/en/iziae/main.html

[james]

Post by [james] » Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 am

Seeker242 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 am
Because they don't want to engage in nonsense.
There are other possibilities to which, for some reason(s), the read-only majority seem unwilling to avail themselves. It causes me to wonder why, having made a specific effort to become a member here, one would not then continue that effort by participating, contributing, engaging. There must have been a measure of enthusiasm and curious anticipation to “sign up”. It seems simplistic to suggest that people are discouraged by the abundance of nonsense. Must the non-zense be so consequential? Maybe it reminds people of themselves. ???
"Zen responsibility" doesn't need to have to do with internet forums. Internet forums, even buddhist ones, are mostly just people vomiting their opinions on each other. Not vomiting on other people, I consider that to be noble! :D
It doesn’t need to but since internet forums is the topic of discussion, this forum in particular, let’s stay with that. If this internet forum is mostly just people vomiting their opinions on each other (an opinion that I wouldn’t support) is it not one’s responsibility to oneself and to others, as a student of zen, as one who endeavors to practice zen, and as a member of this particular forum, to deal with whatever presents itself in a wholesome way? Not vomiting is a useful start but ... not really worth patting yourself on the back about.

“All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is.”
Sodō Yokoyama

bukowski

Post by bukowski » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi all.

I'm one of the "lurkers" who visit, but rarely post. I Pop by, take a look and if nothing grabs me I move on. From time to time I see an interesting topic and I dive in.
In my experience the more contentious the subject the more traffic it will get. Their doesn't tend to be lots of contention here, which is why it can be a bit quiet here, and why I keep popping back.

And of course, places like this always attract those who have read two books on zen and are here to tell everyone about their understanding of zen. If people don't respond then these folks tend to drift away naturally.

For me, just as much, if not more of a problem in forums is the "expert" with many years of sitting and practice with well known teachers, who spends time in forums to correct others wrong perceptions, and massage their own egos.

I don't see this stuff here mostly, so I guess that just leaves us common, everyday zen practitioners, who have a bit of experience, a little bit of knowledge, have read a few books and are just trying to make their way through life as peacefully and compassionately as they can.

We may not have much to say, but we will always pop by from time and add a little bit to a nice, calm supportive forum, which describes this place perfectly.

Metta, b. :namaste:

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sat May 18, 2019 1:02 pm

But if the subject is zazen there should be things you could say.
cooper

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat May 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Enver M. wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:02 pm
But if the subject is zazen there should be things you could say.
Unless you are one of the "rare birds" that thinks one must crush out every thought. In which case every time someone posts you react with criticism and contempt. Ever since the implosion of ZFI, which in my opinion was a very dysfunctional community at times, there has been endless collective navel-gazing about how we can all be one big happy family again. These discussions avoid the topic of the harmful speech that chronically undermines all these Zen forums. It's better to let nature take it's course, because unless a group grows due to it's success, its free-range of thought and lively discussion, it serves to promote harmful speech as a part of the process.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~~ Roam

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Since mind is a mirror Could you be talking to yourself?
cooper

Seeker242

Post by Seeker242 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:20 am

[james] wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 am

There are other possibilities to which, for some reason(s), the read-only majority seem unwilling to avail themselves. It causes me to wonder why, having made a specific effort to become a member here, one would not then continue that effort by participating, contributing, engaging.
Read-only majority is typical of any internet forum anywhere, regardless of topic. That is just the "true nature" of internet forums in general. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule ... t_culture)

t doesn’t need to but since internet forums is the topic of discussion, this forum in particular, let’s stay with that. If this internet forum is mostly just people vomiting their opinions on each other (an opinion that I wouldn’t support) is it not one’s responsibility to oneself and to others, as a student of zen, as one who endeavors to practice zen, and as a member of this particular forum, to deal with whatever presents itself in a wholesome way? Not vomiting is a useful start but ... not really worth patting yourself on the back about.

“All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is.”
Sodō Yokoyama
If you want to participate, Go right ahead. There is nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with the opposite of that. However, to demand that other people participate, in discussions they don't feel like, not exactly very zen.

[james]

Post by [james] » Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Seeker242 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:20 am
Read-only majority is typical of any internet forum anywhere, regardless of topic. That is just the "true nature" of internet forums in general. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule ... t_culture)
Thanks for that link. Fascinating information.
If you want to participate, Go right ahead. There is nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with the opposite of that. However, to demand that other people participate, in discussions they don't feel like, not exactly very zen.
You are attaching to my words an intention that isn’t there.
Last edited by [james] on Sun May 19, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm

loves the unjust wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm
It's nice to transcend the thinking mind occasionally, for no other reason than the peace and quiet. But I'd never ask people not to share to further that. "Dropping away of body and Mind" is about whats going on inside me, not whats going on out in the world. Least of all, in forum discussions. I try to avoid harmful speech; letting people rent space inside my head. When I get the impression that people are trying to rent, I begin to look at what is missing in their life, and it's easy to bark back at barking dogs. I think there sometimes exists in ALL these forums some kind of unfulfilled series of agendas. Mostly i just try to avoid new additional karma.

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Great Sage EofH wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm
loves the unjust wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm
It's nice to transcend the thinking mind occasionally, for no other reason than the peace and quiet. But I'd never ask people not to share to further that. "Dropping away of body and Mind" is about whats going on inside me, not whats going on out in the world. Least of all, in forum discussions. I try to avoid harmful speech; letting people rent space inside my head. When I get the impression that people are trying to rent, I begin to look at what is missing in their life, and it's easy to bark back at barking dogs. I think there sometimes exists in ALL these forums some kind of unfulfilled series of agendas. Mostly i just try to avoid new additional karma.
Thanks.Good luck!

You may want to help us in your free time
cooper

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Sun May 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Great Sage EofH wrote:
I try to avoid harmful speech;
What do you do in practicing the right speech?
cooper

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 am

loves' the unjust wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:10 pm
Great Sage EofH wrote:
I try to avoid harmful speech;
What do you do in practicing the right speech?
LOL first I make sure its 100% the truth no matter what. Second (this one is harder) I try not to say anything about anyone that I'd also not tell them. I try to point out that the Dharma has proven itself to me as reliable and truthful. I don't know? How about you?? Whats your practice???

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am

How about you?? Whats your practice???
Mostly i'm using my intuitive mind.it is very strong and effective in me.There is a method which i discovered some years ago.Originally mine.Following White Method (FWM) or White Method which i'm using currently.for more info visit: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=520&start=40
You need to match afew things there.i even don't know what they are.For ex: Your intuitive mind, what has been said or your intention these are only the few.In order to set the coordinates of your words.
I can only understand it's details after reaching enlightenment i believe.
But simply if you are true your words are true too.

Other than that i have discover what is zen practice last week.after 15 years.mean understanding the teaching at level 2 (ten bulls)
I'm about to begin that..

If i could be succeed in the beginning by this first move i believe the rest will come by itself.

Just as nothing remain has a value other than practice in my eyes,

cheers,

rgds,
cooper