Dorian

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
Spike

Dorian

Post by Spike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:52 am

Hey Seeker242: be safe.

Seeker242

Re: Dorian

Post by Seeker242 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks! :) Looks like we are going to be fine here in Ft Lauderdale. We are right outside the major wind areas. The Bahamas, not so much. Prayers for the Bahamas. They are getting hammered by the strongest storm, in history, ever to hit them... :sad: :bow2:

[james]

Post by [james] » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Seeker242 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Prayers for the Bahamas. They are getting hammered by the strongest storm, in history, ever to hit them... :sad: :bow2:
Climate change? What say Floridians? Some supposedly knowledgeable people say that much of Florida will be submerge sooner rather than later.

Spike, as a newly arrived inhabitant of Florida, is this worrisome for you?

It will be increasingly difficult for more and more of us to remain safe in the coming years ... so it seems to me.

Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:56 pm

My financial plan extends to age 95, per my advisor (Edelman guy), and based on an actuarial table. I don't think climate change will overtake and dominate by then, which for me would be in 25 years, if I make it. But you are right: the change is probably irreversible, and maybe even unamelioratable by now. But science has seemed to consistently underestimate the pace of change, so who knows? Stuff might happen sooner.

I am in Delray Beach, a small, beautiful, vibrant town. My daughter, a Floridian for 12 years, lives an hour away in West Miami. Being near and with her means everything. She and her fiance come up and stay here (like right now during Hurricane Watch as I write, so I'm safer thanks to their experience and planning).

Bottom line for me: I am going to live life fully, enjoying music, film, books, writing, nightlife, the beach and environs, motorcycling (no helmet law here!? Crazy!), and of course my friends and family, with special appreciation for my dog Kaya. She and I will be gone, I think, before the climate goes critical. In the meantime, as Tobey Keith sang, we will celebrate each sundown.