10 Bulls

Anything at all goes here. Keep it clean.
loves' the unjust

10 Bulls

Post by loves' the unjust » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:26 pm

I would like to know where each member is on his journey according to ten bulls, if you would like to share?

to know each other better

I begin with

I just arrive the waterfall. Will take a rest at this night to still my mind. Tomorrow will be looking for the footprints.

Ten bulls Pic 1 This is exactly @ where i am

10X
Last edited by loves' the unjust on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

Spike

Re: 10 Bulls

Post by Spike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Fifteen minutes ago I got up from doing zazen.

loves' the unjust

Post by loves' the unjust » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Which number does it made?
gentleness and frustration in different form of coctails is my present psychology

Thank you, dad.

onefrogj@yahoo.com

Spike

Post by Spike » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm

All of them.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:59 pm

:D

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:03 am

MuMu said:
"to find the bull,
follow the bull manure"
“Know from the rivers in clefts and in crevices: those in small channels flow noisily, the great flow silent. Whatever’s not full makes noise. Whatever is full is quiet.” - Gautama Buddha, Nālakasutta

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:54 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Stages_Sutra
Ten Stages Sutra
The Ten Stages Sutra (Sanskrit: Daśabhūmika Sūtra; simplified Chinese: 十地经; traditional Chinese: 十地經; pinyin: shí dì jīng) also known as the Daśabhūmika Sūtra, is an early, influential Mahayana Buddhist scripture. The sutra also appears as the 26th chapter of the Avataṃsaka Sūtra.
In the Daśabhūmika Sūtra, the Buddha describes ten stages of development that a bodhisattva must progress through in order to accomplish full Enlightenment and Buddhahood, as well as the subject of Buddha-nature and the awakening of the aspiration for Enlightenment.
A commentary on the Daśabhūmika Sūtra, the Dasabhūmikabhāsya, was written by Vasubandhu in Sanskrit and translated into Chinese by Bodhiruci and others during the 6th century CE.
The Madhyamakāvatāra is a commentary on the meaning of Nagarjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā and the Daśabhūmikasūtra-śāstra.[1]
A Daśabhūmikā school said to have existed in China at one time, which centered on this sutra, but was later absorbed by the Huayan school, as the Huayan school's principal sutra, the Avataṃsaka Sūtra, already contains the Daśabhūmika Sūtra. The Daśabhūmika Sūtra can also be found in modified form in the thirty-ninth chapter as part of the journey of the bodhisattva Sudhana. The Huayan school declined in China after the death of its fifth and best known patriarch, Zongmi (780–841), but they provided major foundational teachings for the Mahayana schools which exist today, such as Zen. The last vestige of the Huayan school today exists as the Kegon school in Japan, and its last temple is the great Tōdai-ji, perhaps the largest wooden building in the world.

10 different stages, but from a neighboring tradition. A contemporary author, Kuladasa, uses this in his book on meditation. I've looked up several web pages on this last year

my computer won't go further tonight, so I'll hit "send"
“Know from the rivers in clefts and in crevices: those in small channels flow noisily, the great flow silent. Whatever’s not full makes noise. Whatever is full is quiet.” - Gautama Buddha, Nālakasutta

Great Sage EofH

Post by Great Sage EofH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 am

clyde
Site Admin

Post by clyde » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:41 pm

In a wonderful book by Abbot Zenkei Shibayama, A Flower Does Not Talk, he has a whole section on The Six(!) Oxherding Pictures, including Explanatory Notes on the history of the pictures and each element in the pictures (e.g. - the Tether of Faith and the Rod of Striving), and of course each of the six pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/Flower-Does-Not- ... 804808848/

Based on the Abbot’s presentation, I think most of us are #3, “Not Thoroughly Genuine Yet”.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”